December 2013 Moms
Options

Eating Dates to induce labor

2»

Re: Eating Dates to induce labor

• Options
    Oh I know! I was actually shocked by the little one, that's what made me think of it...and stop hoping for this one to come a little early. :)
  • Options
    KateMW said:
    Oh I know! I was actually shocked by the little one, that's what made me think of it...and stop hoping for this one to come a little early. :)

Makes sense :)
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
    BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
    Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you are pregnant it is recommended to only eat 4 dates per day. More then that can cause a quick and very intense delivery.
  • Options
    Laurendag said:
    MrsC731 said:
    Because it's stupid to try to trick your body into labor at 37 weeks. 39 weeks is full term, 37 is not. Not sure how that is confusing. 
    Unless we are talking pitocin, you can't "trick" your body into labor, especially not by eating dates. Eating dates won't help at all unless your body is already naturally preparing itself for labor on its own and the cervix is softening/thinning/dilating already. Same thing with sex or any of the other things said to help put you into labor. Eating pounds of dates and having sex 10 times a day will do absolutely nothing for you unless your body is ready.
    Exactly. Do what you want but eating dates isn't throwing anyone into labor. Also we aren't talking about having preemies here. A 37 or 38 week baby is still term even with the new definition.

MrsC731
    I'm lurking but NO it is not still term. It is early term. Early term =/= Term. Just no.

Right early term still term by definition. If we are going to get all technical and upset about sticking with a definition and being right then at least follow it correctly. So by what you are saying my 8 lb 3 oz baby that was born at 38w4d was early? I don't think so.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @KateL85 said:
    If you are pregnant it is recommended to only eat 4 dates per day. More then that can cause a quick and very intense delivery.
    lolz. Love stuff like this. "It is recommended...." By who, exactly?

• Options
    swirl25swirl25 member
    edited November 2013
    I jus bought some at the grocery store -- Sunsweet dried dates. Was all excited to start eating them till I opened the pack...they are NOTHING like prunes as I expected...all dry and hard and look like oversized cockroaches. :( Needless to say I will not be eating them. Unless there are better ones out there I should try?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    swirl25 said:

I jus bought some at the grocery store -- Sunsweet dried dates. Was all excited to start eating them till I opened the pack...they are NOTHING like prunes as I expected...all dry and hard and look like oversized cockroaches. :( Needless to say I will not be eating them. Unless there are better ones out there I should try?

You need to get whole medjool dates WITH the pit.
    imageimage

• Options

swirl25 said:

You need to get whole medjool dates WITH the pit.
    Thanks...will look for those. Probably at a specialty-type shop like Whole Foods?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    swirl25 said:

Cock and cockroaches may help. I bought the sunsweet brand before I went home and took this Ambien! They are delicious!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Options
    Cut them, stuff them with little cubes of cheese and bake them...mmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten a date before. Now I'm curious to try one after all this convo about how good they are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

esf60 said:
    @KateL85 said:
    lolz. Love stuff like this. "It is recommended...." By who, exactly?
    Well actually there is cultural precedence for this in the mid east but since you ask-
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21280989
  • Options
    Guise. Take an almond, put it in a date, put that in a quarter of a fresh jalepeno, wrap that in bacon. Broil. Eat. Die. So good.

Or if your a zombie, like this post, wrap it in BRAINZ!

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• Options
    I don't like how sweet they are either. While there is no avoiding putting the sugar into your body (if you choose to try this) I do find that I can enjoy eating them this way:
    1. Cut dates longways down to the pit
    2. Remove the pit
    3. Spread open the date
    4. Stuff/smear with cream cheese
    5. Top with walnuts
    And let's face it, to eat 6 a day for a month (that's what was done in the study) will be a CHORE if you don't like these!

I find the cheese really helps mellow and balance out the cloying sweetness. Plus, just FYI, done this way I find these a real filling, stick-to-your-ribs type of snack. I cannot imagine eating all 6 in one sitting! Maybe 2-3 at a time.

I plan to make these in the AM and eat them throughout the day. You could probably make them up in much larger batches than 6 at a time...they keep just fine in the fridge for well over a week. Chopping up in yogurt, blending in a smoothie, or with cottage cheese might also be easier to take.

It's my understanding from the study that this does NOT INDUCE labor so much as it softens and prepares the cervix, so that when your labor DOES start, one of the early labor phases is shortened. IMO, I'm all about saving that energy for the home stretch. Shorter early labor = more rested mamma for pushing!