Babies on the Brain
Options

DHs job preventing life progress

I would like to get everyone's opinions on here, because I rather like this group and think you all can give me some perspective. My DH works a seasonal job at a local auto racing track. When he is in season, which is April to early October, he works massive amounts of hours. But in the winter, he is laid off and gets a small unemployment check every week. I have told him that we really cannot afford for him to not work over the winter but nothing ever happens.

The problem is that he loves his job. The pay sucks and in order to bring home a decent check, he has to work long days with no rain-outs, but he really enjoys it. The job has no PTO, which may seem bad but works in his favor. If he can't come in or needs to come in late, he does what he wants. He is also a volunteer fireman, and if he gets a call he can just go, no questions asked ( unless he is working an event, then he cannot go).

I'm getting annoyed because this job is not a career and not something that can support a family but he refuses to consider anything else. I have had friends and family approach me and tell me he needs to get a better job (I'm not sure how this is their business but whatever) and when I tell him this he just shrugs. We want to buy a home but we cannot do it if he stops bringing in income for six months, and no house = no baby. I just feel like he would rather have all these perks for himself than sacrifice it for our future or a child. Anytime I try to tell him this job isn't enough, he either makes a stupid joke to deflect it, or says "I will never have a big career like you have and you need to just accept that." How do I make him see how this affects us? Is it wrong for me to expect him to work somewhere he doesn't *love* in order to support our life goals?

Re: DHs job preventing life progress

• Options
    I can't speak from your point of view but I have been in his shoes. I left my dream job in May. I was making enough money to support myself independently while saving money but the job was standing in the way of me living with H and since we were paying out double for living expenses we weren't making enough financial progress on his loans to ultimately start TTC next winter.
    He and I having the life we dreamed of and him having his dream job (with better pay than mine) trumped the desire for me to stay where I was.
    Now I am working in an office which I LIKE okay but will never LOVE. Unless something comes up we are on course to start TTC this time next year (ahead of schedule) and my new dream has become having a beautiful marriage and building a wonderful life for my future family.
    H talked to me about leaving my job and moving to be with him before the wedding often but I couldn't accept it and brushed it off. One day it just clicked. This wasn't what I wanted OUR lives to be. I gave my two weeks notice and moved with him. I miss my job but I am so happy with how we have progressed.
    Keep talking. Try and get him to sit down and talk about HIS life goals and see what comes up. For me it all fell into place but maybe he needs more convincing and communication.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    My perspective might be skewed because I don't really have a career.  I have a job, the pay is ok, benefits are great, etc.  But I've always had the mindset that you do what you have to do, even if it's something you don't want to do.  I don't like my job but I do it because I have to - it pays my mortgage, it pays my bills, it provides health benefits for myself and my husband.  I can appreciate that he has a passion for his career but he has a family to consider.

What is he doing during the off-season?  Can he find temp work?  Is he willing to work at all when he's off?  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can understand your frustration in this situation. I can also understand his. He's found something he loves and for him, that's enough. While I'm sure you love to see your husband happy, you're also being realistic about your financial situation while it sounds like he is not. Can he find another job for the 6 months he is off of this one? Is it necessary for him to have a job that offers benefits (insurance) for you both, or does your job complete this? It sounds like you've tried to broach the subject but he is very resistant. I would recommend having a serious conversation NOT about his job. (Leave his job out of it), but about goals. Make some goals together - short term, long term. Make out a budget and sit together to figure our how to meet those goals. Perhaps putting all of this on paper will help him realize what needs to be done. If not, I'd suggest trying counseling. If he's unwilling to meet you half way ( work towards shared goals) then there is probably a bigger issue. Good luck!
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    I knew I could count on you girls for great perspective right off the bat.

What's he doing, you ask? Nothing. He says he doesn't want to start working another job till hunting season is over next month. That again is him making things a priority before working. By that time he will only have four months to find a job and work. My job has all the benefits and insurance, so that's not something he needs but he does need consistent income. The other problem with his job is if the weather sucks, they cancel. If we have a rainy year he doesn't bring much home and thus we get nowhere. I've talked about goals but he just says "we will get there, don't worry." Ugh.
  • Options
    I don't want to ask how much he's making during his "on" season but does it equate to a standard annual salary?  I'm wondering if this is more an issue of money management because I find it hard to believe a grown, married man is comfortable working for such a short time and for such little pay.  Most people don't have the luxury to take off months at a time to tend to their personal hobbies.  That's what weekends are for!

And to his "we will get there, don't worry" comment... that's crap.  You WORK to get to where you want to be.  Shit like this doesn't just work itself out.  

This is a tough situation, especially since he shuts down so quickly.  I agree with PP, maybe start by talking about short term and long term goals and ASK him what he thinks you both need to do in order to get there.  Maybe he will open up more if you make it a conversation instead of a one-sided argument.

• Options
    I'm a lurker but why does no house = no baby? Plenty of people rent and have babies. 
    This is a good point.

• Options
    JemmaWRX said:
    I'm a lurker but why does no house = no baby? Plenty of people rent and have babies. 
    This is a good point.

I guess it doesn't mean we *can't* have a baby, just that I would like to get a house sooner rather than later. We are NTNP now, even though we have a one bedroom apartment, and if I was to get pregnant we would be okay here for a little bit but still should be actively saving for a home. During the racing season, we use my income for all necessities, and his goes into the savings or towards things that may come up. But right now we pay for everything off my income, which sucks when Christmas time rolls around. So we do well for six months, and then are strapped for cash for six months.

His whole family is like this. Zero planning, just doing whatever and rolling with the punches. He was one of four kids, and during their childhood, two of them slept on couches because they lived in a mobile home and didn't have enough rooms for all the kids. His siter just had a baby and has no idea what she is doing for child care when her maternity leave is over. No one in that family plans ahead, and I think that's his whole problem.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs, and then I just want to add from what you posted, it sounds like you're not on the same page with your goals and timelines. If it were really his goal to get a house or start a family ASAP, then he would not be content to not work for 6 months. He needs to be more honest with you on where he's at and give you more info on what he's thinking and feeling.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am going to be blunt:
    He is being an ass.
    What kind of a husband doesn't want to work to support his family and future goals?
    If he doesn't want to get an entirely new job, fine.
    Go work at the grocery store or milk cows until spring. If he's a good worker and straight foward plenty of places would be willing to have him for the winter season. He might even be able to make it a yearly thing with them.
    Saying he is not going to look until after hunting season is just a roadblock to pushing you off from "nagging" him for a while if he really has no intention of getting a second job.
    My husband drives truck in the winter for extra income for us as soon as farming is squared away and he goes back to the same company every winter.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am going to be blunt:
    He is being an ass.
    What kind of a husband doesn't want to work to support his family and future goals?
    If he doesn't want to get an entirely new job, fine.
    Go work at the grocery store or milk cows until spring. If he's a good worker and straight foward plenty of places would be willing to have him for the winter season. He might even be able to make it a yearly thing with them.
    Saying he is not going to look until after hunting season is just a roadblock to pushing you off from "nagging" him for a while if he really has no intention of getting a second job.
    My husband drives truck in the winter for extra income for us as soon as farming is squared away and he goes back to the same company every winter.

Funny you say that, I'm the one who works on the dairy farming industry. I think you and I have talked about that before. :p

It is an excuse, and I know it. He used to have a reallllly good job doing HVAC but the company fell through, and he ended up at the racetrack because he used to work there occasionally on weekends when they needed him. Since he has been there full time, he has just gotten accustomed to being able to do whatever he wants. His boss is never there, and as long and things are done, no one cares. I asked him one time what else he would like to do and he mentioned a place that just opened that does go-kart races.... Yet again, another place that is a job, not a career.

And @Kimbus22, that is exactly what his aunt said to me last week. It's 100% true but I don't know how to get that across to him.
  • Options
    dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited November 2013
    FemShep said:

I'm also going to be blunt: if your husband isn't mature enough to contribute to the financial support of the family, why are you not on BC? What happens if you end up on bed rest and lose your job? At that rate, what happens when you don't collect your full salary during your maternity leave? I get that everyone has their own opinion on what needs to be done to be financially ready for having a kid, but if my H was more worried about the damn hunting season than supporting his family, there is no way in hell I would not be on BC.

This. I was under the impression by your initial post that you were frustrated because you wanted to be in a good place for a baby and you currently aren't. This made me believe you were preventing pregnancy. Please, please get on the same page as your husband BEFORE you bring a child into your family. A baby won't be a quick fix, I assure you.

ETA: spelling
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • Options
    We have been talking about that. I've pretty much said "well, you're not working so it looks like I'm gong back on pills." I came off them back in august when I was under the impression he was going to work this winter. But the doctor told me I'm all out of whack, and i already had one 78 day cycle, so we just let it go. I just feel like the bad guy for telling him his job isn't good enough.
  • Options
    I agree with all the PPs and please know that if and when you do have a baby with him you will be the one caring for it. My husband works a lot so I try to cut him some slack but lately when he wasn't working he was out doing whatever he wanted while I was home with three kids by myself. Not cool. We had a long talk and he was home with us all weekend to help out. Being by yourself with a baby is hard, especially when money is tight and you can't afford to go any where. (Trust me, we have that situation too.). I think counseling is in order before buying a house or having a baby, you two are not on the same page.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    " I just feel like he would rather have all these perks for himself than sacrifice it for our future or a child. "

I don't know what a good solution is for you but if this is how he was before you got married I don't think you can expect him to change. That's easy for me to say because my husband is a workhorse that would never do something like that so it's hard for me to imagine. You can want him to want more for himself but that won't make him want more. It's a catch 22. People can change but he has to have a motivator that is beyond just wanting to get you off his back. If he is perfectly fine cycling between seasonal employment and taking unemployment checks, he doesn't have a problem not supporting your family and pride is not part of the equation with him. 

Is it possible he suffers from low self esteem and doesn't think he can do anything else with himself? Does he have many skills or education that leads you to believe he could find a job he enjoys and make enough money for you? Maybe you could start by trying to engage him in other hobbies or networking, or help him shape his resume up to apply for better opportunities. 

Your finances are none of my business but I do have a few concerns you might want to think about. If this is the way he has been working for a few years, you need to make sure you have caught up on retirement savings and have a good emergency fund before trying for a baby. Considering he takes out unemployment regularly makes me think you don't have much savings. A house is also important, but I think an emergency fund and being able to afford the family rate on your insurance trumps it. You will also need to consider the costs of childcare during the season he is working and find out if he is even willing to watch a child when he is not working. 

Does he want a child? It takes two to decide to have a baby but only one person to veto the idea. I'm not saying this is what you are doing but you definitely don't want to force fatherhood on him if it's just not a priority.
    I really hope this works out for you, keep us updated!
  • Options
    Oh another idea would be to couple what he currently does with other seasonal opportunities. November through march covers all the big holidays and most sales places are looking for seasonal workers. Costco for example would pay about $13 an hour for seasonal help. This could be a good idea and you could work out a deal with him where if he does two seasonal jobs but works year around you'll leave him alone lol

But would that be acceptable to you? Or do you want him to be somebody he doesn't want to be? This is a really difficult situation!
  • Options

I just feel like the bad guy for telling him his job isn't good enough.

1: You're not the bad guy. You're trying to be realistic.

2: Don't have a conversation about how his job isn't good enough. Have a conversation about goals - individual goals and shared goals. Short term and long term.

You've gotten some awesome, realistic advice. It's time to put it to use. I'm sure you're not meaning to, it it's starting to sound like you're enabling him...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • Options
    Disneygeek77Disneygeek77 member
    edited November 2013

I'm sorry but is he even looking for a job in the offseason ?  I am just curious because you can't collect an unemployment check and not be actively looking for a job.  Doing so is well... unethical.  If that is the case then I am surprised you are tolerating this nonsense.

So there isn't anything in the winter he can do ?  He can't shovel snow, work at a coffee shop, put up Christmas lights for people, do furnace checks, work retail, deliver pizzas?  Nothing ? he can't do a thing ?

Look, my favorite job was working at a movie theater when I was in college.  It was easy, stress free and fun.  I also got to see all the free movies I wanted as well as free popcorn and soda,  but I was making barely above minimum wage and living like that wasn't sustainable.  I was a kid and now I am an adult and had to get my act together.

I truly do not intend to sound mean here, please know that, but I think you are being a doormat.  I respect the fact that you want him to be happy, but come on, this is ridiculous.

• Options
    Exactly what disneygeek77 said - If I could afford to I would just take my high school job setting up beautiful displays at Pottery Barn making $8 and hour. It was awesome!! 

Being an adult and part of a marriage means not always doing things you want to do. You have to do what is best for your family. Take to him about shared goals and your expectations. 
  • Options
    Disneygeek77Disneygeek77 member
    edited November 2013

I also have to ask, do you love your job ?  Is it the best job your ever had ?  Would you like something that was easier where you can come in whenever you want and little to no responsibilities ?

If the answer is no, why is it ok for him to have a stress free job and you not.  How would he feel if you said "Sorry, bud you have to work more because I want to serve snow cones in the summer."

• Options
    I've read over all the things and had a lot of time today to think about it. I realized that I have made my DH sound like a stupid kid. He's really not. When he is in season, he works intense hours, all outdoors. Three days a week are 15+ hours, every week. Some weeks he only gets one day off. It's just that last when he is laid off, our savings doesn't grow. It just stops. We can live off my income but we do not save anything.

I realized I need to take some of the blame for my own stress over this. Yes, DH needs to bring in more money. But the whole house and baby thing started with me. I want all that before I'm thirty (I'm 27). I feel a ton of pressure to get all that done and get mad that it's not happening because of DHs job. He wants kids badly but is more laid back about it.... Like "you want a baby now then fine, you want one later then fine." As for the PPs who said he won't help with a baby, he actually is better with kids than me and would probably be more involved.

As for the questions about his benefits, he has to attend a class once about how to find a job but he is exempt from all other classes because he technically HAS a job, he is just laid off during the winter. My father has been in this position for 15+ years because he works in construction. The difference is that my dad makes a ton more during the summer than my DH. I guess we just need to talk about goals soon.
  • Options
    If you can make ends meet what happens when you have a baby and add in those costs?  Will your baby be in daycare while your H is off work for the winter?  If so, then you won't be able to make ends meet anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ok, so I'm confused.  How will things be better in three years ?  Will he work during the winter at that time ?  Will you have more saved somehow ? 

No one is saying your husband doesn't work hard at the auto place, but the fact is if he wants to continue to work there he needs to find something in the winter and no he doesn't get a two month break for hunting season.  He is a grown man.  I know avid hunters and they don't take two month breaks during hunting season. 

• Options
    I don't know that he's a bad guy or anything, but I think you need to both have the same game plan or get back on BC.  I also think that even if he takes a break for a month or so after the racing season, he's still got another few months that he can take something else for the winter season and contribute financially.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
    an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."
  • Options
    I am now very confused. Not trying to pry but it just doesn't really add up.

You are able to live off one income throughout the year and his goes straight into savings. This has been the case for several years. He works April through early October - lets just call it 26 weeks a year. When the weather is bad he doesn't work so let's just say he averages 30 hours per week even though you said he has 3 days a week at 15 hours. So a very low estimate of 30 hours a week for 26 weeks would be 780 hours. You didn't say his hourly wage so I am going to low ball at $12 an hour. That would be $9,360. Let's take out 15% tax for a total of $7956. If this occurred for the last 3 years you have roughly $24K in savings, plus I am guessing all of his unemployment income (which is immoral to accept if he is not looking for a job) so at least $30K... right? You can also live off one income, have free childcare (husband) for 1/2 the year, and apparently good insurance and all that jazz through your work. You would also get a significant tax break since you are the main provider and would probably get the $3K tax credit to use towards your 6 months of child care and maybe a FSA through your employer. 

I am failing to see why you would need to wait to conceive? You should have plenty for a down payment. There are also 80/10/10 loans or FHA. Most people do not have 20% when they buy their first home. You would not use his income to qualify for a mortgage because you will be able to pay it with your salary so it is irrelevant unless you have a high debt to income or have poor credit. Everyone has different goals in mind and perhaps you want $50K+ in savings... but based on what you described it just isn't adding up if you really are saving all of his income. 

If what you are saying is true, you need to talk to him about his emotional readiness to have a child. There has to be other reasons than what you are listing or you have not been saving his income like you said.  
  • Options
    CowgirlK39CowgirlK39 member
    edited November 2013
    @TheCraftyKoala all of your assumptions are wrong. I have only been working my job for a little over a year and he has only been doing his job full time for two years. Before that we were living check to check and the day after our wedding in 2012 we literally had $0. We have a very budget wedding and had help from family but it's just that we were barely making ends meet as it was. Then I got my great job and he kept working where he was. We have had other expenses kick in, like auto repairs and even an auto purchase. So we do not have that savings that you listed, and DH doesn't even make that much.

I think another problem is that he has no grasp on what real life costs. Like I said he was raised in a family that did whatever and worried about it later. When I told him we would need around $25k he said that was impossible, and that "no one has that type of money laying around." He does want a family, and actually if he had his way we would have one already. He just has no grasp on the concept of budgeting and responsible planning. His sister had her baby and she and her DH make about half what we do, and have no plans for child care once her ML is over. His family just never learned the concept of planning.

I plan to talk to him tonight about this all.
  • Options
    Good luck talking to him @CowgirlK39

Keep us posted!

• Options

I plan to talk to him tonight about this all.

Good idea.

$25k in savings when you've apparently been living without savings is a lot...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • Options
    @cowgirlk39 - I guess somewhere along the way I got confused with things you said. I guess I figured if you were ttc and thinking of buying a home, you had been in your job for a long time. Sorry, it just wasn't adding up in my mind!

Life expenses are going to continue to come up - cars will break down, jobs will randomly fire people, etc. No one can be prepared for everything. Just make sure you are not saving up money and then using it for non-emergencies.

You said you were going to talk to him last night... how did it go?
  • Options
    CowgirlK39CowgirlK39 member
    edited November 2013
    Well, that was easy.

I sat him down yesterday and explained that we needed to get on the same page. I said at this point we need to decide; either we stop TTC/house browsing and he keeps his job, or he gets a new job and we move on with life. He did his usual attempt to dodge confrontation, but I told him I needed his input. He said its time for him to get a new job. We talked about possibilities and he told me over the summer a guy he knows said if he ever wanted to work for him he would take him. The guy owns a company that sells and installs all the lights on police/emergency vehicles and DH is very good at that stuff. So he is going to pursue that.

THANKS GIRLS!
  • Options

Well, that was easy.

I sat him down yesterday and explained that we needed to get on the same page. I said at this point we need to decide; either we stop TTC/house browsing and he keeps his job, or he gets a new job and we move on with life. He did his usual attempt to dodge confrontation, but I told him I needed his input. He said its time for him to get a new job. We talked about possibilities and he told me over the summer a guy he knows said if he ever wanted to work for him he would take him. The guy owns a company that sells and installs all the lights on police/emergency vehicles and DH is very good at that stuff. So he is going to pursue that.

THANKS GIRLS!

Awesome! This is great progress. Now, just have to make sure he follows through :-)
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"