2nd Trimester
Options

Just carseat and stroller frame for newborn?

I've been looking at strollers and carseats and the variety is making me crazy. Does a newborn need a stroller right away or do people also do the carseat and stroller frame setup at first and wait for stroller?

Re: Just carseat and stroller frame for newborn?

• Options
    It really depends on your lifestyle. I live in a rural area so we drive everywhere and the frames/travel systems work well for us...especially now that I have a toddler and infant twins. It's convenient to just snap in the seats instead of undoing and redoing all the buckles every time we get out of the car. When we lived in town and wanted to walk from the house on errands I alternated between a regular stroller and a Moby wrap.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    I totally think the carseat and frame are ALL you need for the first few months, especially in cold weather because if you are getting out of your car & getting the baby out to put him in a stroller and it's cold, you will have to get him out carside, put a jacket on him, then snuggle him into the stroller and if he was asleep,,,!!! what a bother!!! also, they can't sit up for 6 months. so a stroller seat may not be great for a while. being that you're here now I assume you're having your baby but spring so maybe the weather won't matter to you but I had my first in June and used that frame through the spring after until he grew out of his carseat!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the above person who said it depends on your lifestyle.  For me a travel system makes sense.  We like to be out and about on the weekends, a car seat that snaps into a stroller, and a stroller for when baby is a bit bigger.  With my daughter I went back and forth between the carriers and a stroller.  I usually would bring both with me depending on how long I'd be out for... But she loved to be held and close to me, and sometimes I just needed to be able to put her down.  That's when the basket undereath a stroller would come in handy to hold all my stuffs.
    imageimage

• Options
    I used the car seat snapped onto the frame til DS was almost 1. After that I got a nice stroller. It was convenient & not cumbersome. I never had a to take DS out of his car seat to put him in a stroller. You don't need a bulky travel system. The strollers with the travel systems are not very good quality IMO.
  • Options
    Thank you! I live in the Caribbean and really I felt I'd have the baby in a baby wrap a lot of the time at first. Not a lot of parks and pedestrian friendly areas for strollers around me. Hopefully the baby will be comfy enough in the car seat set up at first.
  • Options
    We plan on just doing carseat and frame (Chicco KeyFit30 and Keyfit Caddy) for the first few months...plus some kind of carrier, probably Ergo with the infant insert.  
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    Infant seat + Snap n Go is the way to do it for a newborn!  I have the Maclaren one and LOVE it.  One of my baby must-haves for sure.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Options
    Oh- and love the Moby wrap!

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Options
    I was told that its not good for the baby's back to be in the carseat too long. So I have the carseat, frame and bassinet and then the stroller seat for after- city select. I'm planning on walking DS to school every day though and walking during the day to lose weight aswell.
  • Options
    milomia said:
    I've been looking at strollers and carseats and the variety is making me crazy. Does a newborn need a stroller right away or do people also do the carseat and stroller frame setup at first and wait for stroller?
    This is exactly what my friends who already have children suggested to me.  I ended up getting an awesome deal on the City Mini, which included a free car seat adapter.
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• Options
    ditto on a snap and go..best

1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Options
    i had a carseat and stroller set with my DD but rarely used the stroller that came with the car seat since i have a baby jogger i use when we go for walks.....this time around since the car seat is expired i am just going to get a car seat that can attach to my baby jogger. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"