Pre-School and Daycare

can't get 4 yr old's hair into a bun can anyone help?

she is supposed to wear a bun for dance recital and she has VERY fine/thin hair that is a little past her shoulders. I tried to do a sock bun w/ a toddler sock but the hairs just go everywhere, I can't get them tucked around the sock (the hole in teh middle of the toddler sock is like twice the diameter of her ponytail) and the hair doesn't seem to remotely cover up the sock even once I get it rolled in (very messily). Would putting hair spray or dampening her hair help? Just twisting her hair around a ponytail holder will look really bad & I'll have to use a million bobby pins I think but I may have no choice.
help!

Re: can't get 4 yr old's hair into a bun can anyone help?

• kami1977kami1977 member
    edited November 2013
    I have very fine straight long hair that I had issues with putting in a bun for dance classes. What worked best for me was pulling the hair up like I was going to put it in a ponytail but braiding it instead. I would then wrap it around like a ponytail bun making it flat as possible. Tuck the end of the braid with the rubber band under the bun and use lots of bobby pins. The braid gives the pins something to grip and helps keep the hair from sticking out too much. Use lots of hairspray to hold back flyways.
    Generally when she's on stage the closest audience members will be at least 10 to 20 feet away so it just needs to look neat but not perfect. Good luck, I'm sure she'll be adorable.
  • I think you just need to make the ponytail and do the best you can around that. There's no way I could get my DD's hair into a bun w/out a pony underneath, but I'm not great with hair.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • What about the fake hair ponytails? It might make the hair thick enough to wrap into a good bun.
    imageimage
  • For dd1 I pull it into a half pony, wrap the ends around, secure it with a clip then bobby pin the bun up. It's super cute and stays out. Gl!
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks all! Well...it looked fine on stage but I ended up finding a smaller toddler sock and was able to do a sock bun but you could clearly see the sock through her hair but a million bobby pins & a lot of hairspray later and it was all good for what it needed to be lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"