Working Moms
Options

Take a pay cut to eliminate your commute?

As I've posted before, I'm looking for a new job that is flexible or PT. 

I came across a position in my job search that is FT but it is right down the street from my house, and it is for a gov't contractor, so the hours are reasonable.  It is also right next to our gym.

Right now I spend an hour to an hour and a half a day commuting.  This job pays 20% less than I currently make - would it be worth it for you to take a pay cut to completely eliminate your commute?

Re: Take a pay cut to eliminate your commute?

• Options
    Personally, I would.  There would be less wear and tear on your car and you'll spend less on gas.  Plus...extra time with DC is priceless!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

If you can afford the pay cut - then absolutely.  You'll save on gas...and time is money!  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Big fat, "YES!" I too live in MD and had a nasty commute with a great paying job.  Once I got pregnant, I knew the commute was going to be terrible with a baby and I applied for a job a mile from our house and daycare, also oddly enough as a gov't contractor, and got it.  With a substantial paycut offered, I was in the same dilemma.  WORTH EVERY PENNY.  I get out at 4, pick up my DD at 4:10 and am home by 4:20.  You save on wear and tear as PP said and gas plus the peace of mind of being close to home.  I got a raise within the first year and made back what I thought I'd lost.  The extra time in my life and with my DD has been priceless.
  • Options
    SueandSteve - so you know how the traffic around here completely sucks.  I sent in my resume - I would totally love to spend less than ten minutes a day in the car, AND be able to go to the gym before work or at lunch.

• Options

Oh yeah, I know the commute all too well.  I'm joining WW next week and it's nice to have that time to be able to do it!  The gym will be the next add-on;) 

BTW, your DS is absolutely adorable!  And the best of luck on whatever decision you make!

P.S.  I tried to barter with my current employer for more paid time off to make up for the cut in pay...just a thought.  Play some hard ball, girl!

• Options

I'm going to disagree with most posters - my immediate reaction is no! I spent about 30 minutes each way to work, so an hour a day and there is no way I'd give up 20% of my salary to reduce that - its just too much. I use the time in the call to make calls and as me time.

If the 20% wasn't very much maybe I'd consider it, but right now - it just wouldn't be worth it to me. 

• Options

I think it depends on your financial situation and career trajectory....and all that kind of stuff.

I feel lucky to have a short commute, though, and if it makes sense and you could swing it, I would go for it.

• Options
    p.s. Your son is such a cutie!
  • Options
    I did and it was worth it.  I took a 15% paycut but my commuting costs went down by almost $300 a month and actually my health insurance costs went  down by $200 a month.  Plus I'm a lot less tired!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone (esp those who complimented my little man - he loves the camera).  I sent the recruiter my resume and he said my background looks good and he'll call me Monday, so we'll see what happens.  I need some more info before I know whether it's worth pursuing or not - I *think* the hours may be less also, based on the job description

• Options
    YES. ?I did this about six months ago. ?I had been driving one hour each way and it sucked. ?Mine was a 10% difference. ?
  • Options
    I would... I did something along those lines in July '08. I moved from my hometown, closer to my work. Basically, moved from a place where I didn't have to pay for absolutely anything, to having to budget seriously. Doing that eliminated approximately $300 in gas I was spending per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"