August 2012 Moms
Options

Was I rude?

My friend and her daughter were supposed to come over today for a play date. She texted me this morning and told me her daughter has a cold, so I cancelled. I feel terrible for canceling but last time they came over her daughter had a cold and my son got sick for a week after. All of my mommy friends have kids in daycare and I feel like their kids are constantly sick. I don't know what to do because my son always gets sick a day or two after our visits. I don't mind him getting sick occasionally but it's getting ridiculous. Am I being overbearing? What would you do?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

Re: Was I rude?

• Options
    I would have cancelled as well. One of my friends is always trying to bring her kid over, even though they "just have a little cold" and I cancel every time.
  • Options

Naw, I don't think you are being rude.  I wouldn't have minded - DS is in daycare and gets colds quite often, so I wouldn't have avoided a friend if their kid had a cold.  But I completely understand if the other parent doesn't want their child to get it and leave it up to them if they want to keep the play date.

But on the otherhand....it is just a cold and they aren't newborns....so colds don't seem like that big of a deal.  I look at it as building their immune system before they go to school!  Right?  :)

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, I've cancelled in this situation, in fact my friend suggested we cancel and I appreciated that.

The only time I didn't was when B had a stomach episode that I was 99% sure was a food intolerance the day before a play date. It had been almost 24 hrs and I gave my friend a warning but she ok'd it. Well B threw up her lunch while we were there, luckily on a blanket and not on her rug. She didn't do it again the rest of the day and no one else was sick afterward so it was just some baby bulimia but I still felt horrible. Better safe than sorry!

• Options
    No. I would have cancelled too. If I don't take my kid out when he is sick as a courtesy don't bring your sick kid to me (just a cold or not)
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't think you were rude. If it were me, however, unless there was a fever or vomiting involved I wouldn't have cancelled.
  • Options
    I don't think you were rude...and maybe she told you in hopes that you would cancel?
  • Options
    Not rude, and it was really considerate of her to warn you.
  • Options

I don't think you were rude...and maybe she told you in hopes that you would cancel?

Maybe! She is always pretty good about telling me and I really appreciate it.

I normally tell her it's no big deal, but last time my son got sick for a week after and I don't want to deal with that, especially with the holidays.

• Options
    Nope.  She wouldn't have texted you about the cold without the intention that you might want to cancel.
  • Options
    No, I don't think you need to expose LO to a sick kid if you don't want. And, with thanksgiving next week, the last thing I would want is a sick kid.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    Not rude at all! I am sure your friend would have done the same thing if the roles were reversed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I always cancel if DS has a cold and so do the other moms in our group. Not rude at all.
  • Options
    I've done the same thing several times. T always gets an ear infection at the moment he gets any kind of congestion and with the holidays, I especially wouldn't want to risk it. Not rude at all.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Turns out she had pink eye too so I'm really glad I cancelled.

• Options
    Oh ugh. Just thinking of pink eye makes my eyes itch! That's unfortunate for them but good thing you didn't expose LO to it.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"