2nd Trimester

Should I be worried?

This is my 4th pregnancy, but will only be my second birth.  With my son, now almost 22 months old, I felt the first movements in week 14, and often thereafter.  With this one, I'll be at 16 weeks tomorrow, and have yet to feel anything.  I also am not really showing (and by this time with my son, I had a definite bump).  I don't have insurance with maternity coverage until January 2014, and have yet to find ANY doctor that will see me on self-pay.  I am freaking out that I have not had prenatal care so far (especially with my history of miscarriages).  I did have a sonogram at a free women's center at 9 weeks, 5 days, and everything looked great then (moving around like crazy, awesome very steady heartbeat).  I know that the majority of time, pregnancies are usually just fine with little to no complications, but still--I tend to be a worrier.  I know every pregnancy is different, but still -- should I be worried that I'm not yet hardly showing or feeling little baby movements at nearly 16 weeks, when I was already experiencing both with my first???
Anniversary

Re: Should I be worried?

• Can you purchase or borrow a Doppler?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would be surprised if you're not showing at all. I felt my first kid kick at 16 weeks for a second, then not again til 24. the second I didn't feel til 24-25. that part I would not worry about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Sometimes the location of the placenta can interfere or delay feeling kicks; this happened to me with my second, and she's healthy and wonderful.

Also, OBs often don't get paid for their patients until childbirth.  Could you call a local OB, explain the situation, and ask if they'll begin treating you now since you'll be covered in just a bit more than a month?  A social worker with the state may also have some ideas about how to get you covered more quickly or treated right away.  

Good luck!
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. I can relate to your worry though. When I was pg with dd I started feeling movements at 16 weeks and strong kicks by 18 weeks. This time around, however, I didn't feel any super noticeable movements until 19 weeks. I was worried sick, very much like you are now. I found out on wednesday that the placenta is anterior which means there's a barrier between baby and my belly making it harder to feel the movements. good news is that as long as you're taking your vitamins and eating well, there's nothing else you or anyone can do to help you have a healthy pregnancy (for the most part). January will be here before you know it and by then you should feel noticeable movements more frequently. Until then good luck :)
  • I didn't "pop" until about 18 weeks, and didn't feel movement until about 20 weeks with an anterior placenta.   At 16 weeks I'm not surprised that you haven't felt anything yet.

If you're worried, then I would try to get back into the women's clinic or someplace like Planned Parenthood.   Or try to borrow a Doppler (I think there is a website where you can rent them?) 

I know how scary it is after you've had a loss....you question everything.   (((((hugs))))))
    imageDSC_9275  image

• With my first I had an anterior placenta and didn't feel her until 19 weeks! With this one it's anterior again and I'm just starting to feel her more now at 19 weeks. I definitely didn't feel anything at 16 weeks. I would try and get or borrow a Doppler. I bought one off line for like $40. It's eased my mind a lot.

• I can't see why a dr would take you a s a cash paying patient.
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• I second planned parenthood. They were very accomodating of me when I had no medical insurance and I even qualified for free service because I was unemployed at the time.

I'm also 16 w, not showing and no movement. I had my 16 week checkup Friday and heard the baby's heartbeat, strong as a drum. So, it might not mean anything.
  • I understand, since I had a MC immediately before this pregnancy.  Surprise! 

The anxiety is normal.  I am now 17 1/2 weeks and only really show later in the day in tighter clothes.  Otherwise, I look completely like myself.  I also haven't gained weight (bigger gal to start with BMI 29 and BAD morning sickness).  And on top of that, I have an anterior placenta, so it's so much harder to feel things.  When I sit very still, sometimes I can feel a flutter, especially after eating, but it's very subtle and started about 10 days ago.

Not every pregnancy is the same.  Try to stay calm and know that nature will take over.  Making it out of the 1st TM is great--remember that!!!
  • I wouldn't worry all that much, it was different with each one of my pregnancies. I am pregnant with baby number 3 and I'm 18 weeks along and still not feeling kicks yet. I think it just depends on how your carrying and where the baby is. Good luck with everything and congratulations :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"