July 2013 Moms
Options

Do you access public assistance programs?

valstulasvalstulas member
edited November 2013 in July 2013 Moms
There's a lot of shaming at my hospital of people who use state aid. I find it odd since over 50% of Mainers access public assistance. Just curious how many of you use public aid and if so, how you feel about it. I would consider WIC, health care, SNAP, and public healthcare benefits as public aid.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Do you access public assistance programs? 184 votes

No, and I never have.
72% 133 votes
Not currently, but I have in the past.
10% 19 votes
I do and I'm totally not ashamed about it.
6% 12 votes
I do but I'm embarrassed about it.
9% 17 votes
SS
1% 3 votes

Re: Do you access public assistance programs?

• Options
    My mom collected SS after my Dad died, but I'm not sure if that would count. She never signed up for any other assistance although we probably would've qualified for it. She worked her @$$ off to raise us without additional help. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    @Hannah&Alex if you qualify for it, it's because you need it. I'm sorry you're ashamed of it, but you should sign up for it if things are that tight.

@fayga big hugs to you! >:D<

• Options
    mermomo5 said:

I never have needed to but there should be no shame unless abused. Its there for a reason and should be used if needed.

Yes this...
  • Options
    @MRads I wouldn't consider any of that public assistance. I wouldn't think of RD loans or the EIC as public assistance, either.

• Options
    I know what you mean. I just wish we would consider that public assistance so some of the stigma might decrease.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Options
    I lost my job in February and Medicaid was my only insurance option other than COBRA which was way too expensive! I'm grateful that it covered my prenatal care and delivery but am happy to now be on my husband's insurance. We had trouble with DD being on Medicaid and no pediatrician accepting us... It also really sucked when people treated me crappy because of my insurance. :( I'm glad it was there for us when we needed it though.
  • Options
    mermomo5 said:
    I never have needed to but there should be no shame unless abused. Its there for a reason and should be used if needed.
    @mermomo5 I agree, but it's the abusers who seem to have no shame. I'm sure we've all seen the video clip of the lady who had several kids, her husband went to jail, and she was upset public assistance wasn't covering her bills. "Somebody gots to pay for all these kids!"  X(
  • Options
    I was on food stamps for a while in college, and we would get refunded more $ than we withheld. And now I'm making nearly six figures and paying taxes. I'm a big supporter of the social safety net and I don't believe its abused as often as we like to think. Everybody knows somebody who knows a 'welfare queen' just like everybody knows that those 'showy nursers' really do exist. And even if it is occasionally abused, that doesn't damage the legitimacy of the whole system or mean we should jump through hoops to stop all this rampant abuse (like requiring drug tests in FL... That worked out so well...)
    YES!
    image  image  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    MRads said:
    I think it depends on your definition. I was able to get state backed student loans, an FHA loan and a tax break for having a kid and owning a house. I wish we could change the perception of what people think of when they think of state aid.
    Us too... we have certainly benefited from government programs.  
    K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
  • Options
    I put federal aid for school into the running too. Its still public assistance. I took out loans to go to college. So yes, I've had PA. Just because I'm paying them back doesn't mean that others' tax dollars didn't help me out at one time. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am pretty sure my family used WIC when I was younger, I don't know all the details. I also had federal aid for college and grad school, so I suppose that counts in some way. I definitely support these programs so that people and families can have the help they need, many times the circumstances are out of their hands and they just need a "hand up" not a "hand out."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm on WIC. It's been a godsend but I can't wait for the day when I don't need to be on it to make sure we have food around :/
    Married 12.20.2010
    BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
    BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    emandiaemandia member
    edited November 2013
    Well I'm of the ashamed ones. I do use WIC, for the first time ever. My husband was laid off when I was on maternity leave and we literally made nothing that month. I'm very embarrassed because I'm one of those people who do own nice things. I have a BMW, an iPhone ect. and I just know people look down on me. When my husband worked we made great money and buying nice things wasn't a problem then. This wasn't something I expected. I know I shouldn't be embarrassed, but I know people who abuse it and I never want someone to think I do.
  • Options
    I don't think people should be ashamed st all. I qualify in IL for wic, medicaid and a small snap amount with mine and my so's income and it helps alot. I also get assistance for school like others and am looking for a fha loan as well. I qualify, it helps and I still pay taxes so why should I or anyone else be embarrassed.

• Options
    My mom got govt assistance when I was a baby. She had just left my abusive father and worked full time and was in night school. It helped a lot and let us survive on our own. My mom now has 2 masters and a PhD. I hate when people assume only a " certain type" of people use pa

• Options
    mermomo5 said:

Agree
  • Options
    @emandia I'm so sorry your H got laid off. How are things now?

• Options
    I really don't see why things like the mortgage interest tax deduction, EIC, subsidized students loans etc are not considered federal aid. Mortgage interest deduction alone costs the government more than a lot of other programs (don't have the exact numbers right now). 

• Options
    emandiaemandia member
    edited November 2013
    @Valstulas Um we're ok. I'm back to work now so that helps a lot. His company called him back for a couple weeks, so I'm enjoying that paycheck for now. He applied at a college yesterday for an entry level position. The pay sucks for now...he'd be making less then half of what he makes now BUT all the kids would get free school! Like $30k a year saving per child! Sooo I'm praying he gets it. It would be great for our future.

Sorry this turned into a novel!
  • Options
    emandia said:

@Valstulas Um we're ok. I'm back to work now so that helps a lot. His company called him back for a couple weeks, so I'm enjoying that paycheck for now. He applied at a college yesterday for an entry level position. The pay sucks for now...he'd be making less then half of what we're used to BUT all the kids would get free school! Like $30k a year saving per child! Sooo I'm praying he gets it. It would be great for our future.

Sorry this turned into a novel!

Well I definitely hope things keep looking up. That's so tough. I don't deal well with money stress. Big hugs!

• Options
  • Options
    etoille said:

ncchnat said:

@MeganNN12, no judgement here, either. If it made sense for you to work and you could cover the cost of childcare and you still stayed home, then I might side eye you a little. The truth is that the cost of childcare actually makes it prohibitive for a lot of moms to work.  

Exactly.  This is related to what I said in the UO thread.  The reality is that the 'living wage' in this country is really, really out of line.  But the rich people are doing too good a job at convincing half of them that the 'other' poor people are the problem and just a bunch of takers so we can't really do much to change it :(

The other reality is that everyone gets some sort of "government assistance"  Depends on your definition.  Student loans, tax breaks....the ability to enjoy things that you would not without Government.

Barack Obama was right (in the non edited for convenience sense).  You didn't build that.  You didn't build the road that brought the truck to your grocery store so you could buy food.  You didn't build the firehouse down the road.  No one in this country or any country is an island.  There is a necessary interdependence and therefore resource reallocation at times to make things work efficiently.  The problem enters when people have gotten their share of the pie and want the next guy to bake his own.   Big corporations got that way through (in part) things like tax breaks.  The blood sweat and tears of the little guy.  But how quickly they forget the 60 hour work weeks put in by Bob when it
    comes time to decide how to give
    raises out of the double digit profit margins reserved for investors.

Preach!!! Talking about corporate profits makes my head spin!
  • Options
    We did a few year back..we have food stamps..but we got #14 a month..and whole pregnant I checked to see about WIC..i think we made $50-100 over. We barely make ends meet each month..but still make too much.
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Since DD has a disability the state will pay for her PT if we qualify but alas they only pay part of it. I wish that they would pay more since it is expensive for her to have the state come out weekly. So no shame here. Every bit of help helps.
  • Options
    I just realized I did get a small amount of aid for college. My parents were retired teachers at the time so their actual income was small. Not sure if that should count for PA.
    Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

• Options
    Also I have some family that have and still do receive more benefits than anyone I know (and have worked the system to their advantage) yet complain the most about ppl who receive assistance. I literally want to scream at the hypocrisy.
    Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"