January 2013 Moms
Options

Jackets and carseats

Sep5BrideSep5Bride member
edited November 2013 in January 2013 Moms
Hi all,

I know puffy jackets and carseats don't mix, but what are you doing to keep your child warm if you live in a cold climate? I've been using the fleece insert from the Children's Place 3-in-1 jacket, but it's already getting too cold for just that. One of DD's daycare classmates wears this snowsuit (see link), which I really want because it has built in mittens and would keep her legs warmer too, but I wonder if it would be too puffy. Any suggestions?

Re: Jackets and carseats

• Options
    I just take the coat off in the car and put it back on when we get out of the car. I warm the car up before we even get in it and right now I lay the coat over top of him like a blanket (after he is strapped in). I was also thinking of keeping a warm blanket in the car to lay on top of him as well.

• Options
    I do the same thing as @mrsnala and it's working so far. It hasn't been super cold here yet though (I think the lowest we've hit in the morning has been in the 30s) so we'll see how it works through the winter.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD has been wearing the same fleece liner from TCP and I throw a fuzzy blanket on her.  Once it gets a bit colder I may have her wear her coat to and from the car but for now she fine in just a fleece and a blanket for the few seconds we are outside.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    We too have DS in a fleece coat, I warm the car loading him up. We have a ticker blanket that we put over him in the car seat in the really chilly mornings. And when it is super cold I'm planning to wrap him up in the blanket between the car and whatever house/building we are going into. He has three winter hats, one always stays in the car and one always in his diaper bag and the third on his head. We have gloves too that strap on, I haven't used those yet, the sleeves on his fleece are pretty long so they cover his hands currently. 

I only plan to put him in the thicker jacket when we will be outside for extended time periods. However it is in the car at all times...just incase we get stranded.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    I don't really even use jackets yet, still just sweaters. It has gotten below zero here. He is always last in th car and I take him in a blanket from the house then put that blanket on him in his seat. He wears his hat too....which he promptly removes...lol! If it gets to -40 (which it does) then I will definitely warm the car up first and then bundle him as best I can before putting him in the car. He has a fleeces one piece from old navy like the one above and a proper snowsuit for days when we will be outside longer or if he's in his stroller.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We still just use sweaters or a fleece jacket. I would only put a thicker coat if we are outside for longer, but not going to and from the car. It only really gets to maybe low 30s here, maybe a little colder but not for long. Not bad for walking to and from the car. I may look into a warmer snowsuit since DS likes to play outside still.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Options
    It gets pretty cold here. This morning it was 19 on the way to DC and the other day we had snow. My car is in the garage and pre-warmed in the morning. DS has a heavy blanket in the car.

But I do out a heavy coat on him to go into and out if DC. Even if it is a short distance the wind is insanely strong blowing off the lake that is across the street and makes it feel so much colder than it actually is.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    We have two coats she wears incyhe carseat becausr it has been so cold. It is going to be in the teens in the morning. She has a wool coat that works OK in her carseat becausr it is nit puffy but also keeps her warm. We also have a puffy jacket that is thinner and is no thicker than het fleece. It is too cold here to take her in and out of the jacket.
  • Options
    It is currently 0 degrees here but with the wind chill, it's -15 so it gets rather cold here. I have the 3-in-1 jacket from TCP and we've just been using the fleece (this is the first night it's been this cold) but I have put the outer layer on over top without attaching it and then took it off when we got in the car. I also keep a fleece blanket in the car to throw on top of him. He's good about keeping his hat on when we're outside but as soon as we get in the car he takes it off. I also have extra mittens and a hat in the diaper bag. I miss last year when a blanket and the car seat cover did the trick!

• Options
    I sew, so I made a poncho type thing for DS to wear in the car seat.  I took a huge square of fleece (a yard and a half length and width), and lined it with flannel.  Then I cut a large circle out of the middle and added buttons to make the circle larger or smaller.  I also added a removable hood as DS tends to keep hoods on better than hats right now.  He gets strapped into the carseat in his regular clothes, and the poncho goes over his head and straps.  I made the hole big enough so that he can fully use his arms if he wants to, and I have easy access to buckle him in and out, but if he's asleep, I button the hole up, so he's fully covered.  DH calls it his baby snuggie.  He's really just wearing an extra warm blanket, but I don't have to worry about him kicking it off while I'm driving.  If we're just in and out of somewhere, I keep the poncho on, but if we're going to be outside for a long period of time, he wears a puffy, winter coat.  I picked up two of them at garage sales this summer, so one stays at DC and the other stays in the car if I need it. 

This is similar to what I made except for my neck hole is adjustable with snaps, so he has easier access with his arms if he wants them.  I also added the little mohawk to the hood because I think mohawks are funny, and I'm a dork!image
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"