December 2012 Moms
Options

baby shower raffles?

So my sister is just about out of her 1st trimester and I'm starting to think of baby shower ideas along the lines of raffles. My family is a big on 50/50 raffles and I know money is going to be extremely tight for them. 
So I was thinking a diaper raffle; where if you bring a package/box of diapers your entered to win a prize. Any ideas as to what an appropriate prize would be? Then I was thinking a pool for when the baby will be born and another one for how big or small the baby will be. Now I feel like you can get into a lot of detail with these though; should they pick a day and time frame? or just a day? and for the size do they pick height and weight or just one or the another? 
What do you think? Any other ideas are welcome as well!! Also what are things you enjoyed at your baby shower?

Re: baby shower raffles?

• Options
    I have heard someone doing a diaper raffle with a $20 gift card to somewhere as the prize. You would have to have a good amount of people enter to make it worthwhile. I don't know if your sis is having a boy or girl (or is choosing to know) but one thing my sister did that was really cool was a hair bow making activity. Also, she had the dads go through a stroller obstacle course which was hilarious to watch. The babydoll fell out of my dh's stroller and I about died. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry, but I agree with PPs. Raffles are pretty tacky, IMO. Plus, you never really know what brand of diapers will fit your LO until you try them. I didn't want a ton of diapers before she was born for that reason.
  • Options
    I realize you are trying to help your sister, but diaper raffles are just not OK, no matter how cute the poem is or how optional you try to make, it's just not appropriate.  
  • Options
    My sister threw a "diaper shower' for me and that was great!  All I expected was diapers and wipes but got a lot more, it was overwhelming!  I was so grateful and I was able to try 3 different brands of diapers and when I found the one that I liked I exchanged the rest for that brand.  

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Options
    Have you ever been to the baby shower board? I used to lurk there a lot. It may be different now, but you would have been ripped a new one for even making the suggestion of doing a raffle a year ago. Those ladies are militant about their etiquette. You could at least go to that board and look for ideas though. Definitely read awhile before posting though : )
  • Options
    WOW I had no idea diaper raffles and such were such a no! I'm glad I asked before I actually put it into action! I heard of a friend of a friend doing it and that it worked out great and she didn't need to buy diapers for like a year. But I definitely understand where you guys are all coming from. Seeing that LO is napping I'll go lurk on the baby shower board and not post! LOL Thanks for being nice about it and not ripping me a new one, I honestly was just trying to help out my sister!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"