Adoption
Options

DIA wait times

We have been talking to an agency and they told us that their average DIA wait time from completed home study to placement is 3 years. I know that adoption is anything but a quick and easy process, but from reading stuff here and elsewhere 3 years seems like a long "average" wait.

What do you think?

Started TTC July 2012. Missed m/c & d&c 9/12 11w. Natural m/c 1/13 6w. Chemical pgs 3/13 & 8/13 around 4w. Currently TTA while saving for adoption.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” -Helen Keller

Re: DIA wait times

• Options
    That sounds long to me. Our agency says it's "average" wait is around 9-10 months- but I know some folks who have adopted with them it that averaged about 12-14 months. Our placement was within a 10 month timeframe, but we matched independently.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dr.LorettaDr.Loretta member
    edited November 2013
    That sounds overlong. Did they give a reason? One agency we talked to was rumored to have a 3-year wait, but they only placed children born in the same county as the PAPs

Our agency wouldn't give wait times because they varied so much. The longest wait was around 2 years, and most matches were around a year
  • Options
    Flamingo86Flamingo86 member
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree that 3 years does seem very long to me. DH and I have had a lot of discussions about what we are/aren't open too and I don't feel like with our preferences that a 3-year "average" is reasonable. I will definitely be talking to them more about why it's so long as well as continuing to research other agencies.

ETA: Also the responses here have really encouraged me. Hearing that the "average" might be 3 years had really left us feeling discouraged. I'm prepared for this to be a process but wasn't expecting that. Thanks for helping me be more optimistic.

Started TTC July 2012. Missed m/c & d&c 9/12 11w. Natural m/c 1/13 6w. Chemical pgs 3/13 & 8/13 around 4w. Currently TTA while saving for adoption.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” -Helen Keller
  • Options
    Did you have a sex preference? Our agency said that sex is the hardest factor to match and will give the longest wait times. Our agency said that most families are matched in 9-12 months and families with a bio child (like us) will wait a little longer.
  • Options
    Did you have a sex preference? Our agency said that sex is the hardest factor to match and will give the longest wait times. Our agency said that most families are matched in 9-12 months and families with a bio child (like us) will wait a little longer.
    No we don't. We are also open any race.

• Options
    kva11ishokva11isho member
    edited November 2013
    3 years does seem like a long average wait time.  Our agency has an average wait of 6 to 24 months from completion of home study to match.  We were matched 7 months after our home study was complete.  Our social worker did say that we were more open than many other couples with our agency, so perhaps this agency takes that into consideration as well.  Good luck to you!

we are until forever...
    check out our blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• Options
    I agree with previous posters that the 3 year wait seems very long.  When I was originally meeting with agencies, one told us that they had a minimum 2 year wait.  They always kept 20 adoptive families in their pool and they only made placements within the state.  When you're interviewing agencies it is worth asking how many waiting families are in their pool and also where they will distribute your profiles.

The agency we ended up going with said to expect about 1 year wait and even shorter waits if we were open to other races.  They're average time was 9 months (ours was only 6).  They only take 15 families at a time and they sent our profiles out to about 8 states.
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds LONG to me. Our agency's wait time when we signed was 12-18 months and we placed at 12 months and 3 weeks. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The 3 domestic infant adoption agencies local to us all have 2-4X as many waiting families as how many placements a year they do, but I think in our state most (85%) DIA is done independently through attorneys. Could that be the case in your region?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"