LGBT Parenting
Options

Oh boy!

After our first apt I am a little annoyed... So much testing and so much time wasted.... "Normal" couples just try until they get it... Why can't we?!?! Has anyone had success with at home insemination??? Just annoyed but I do know there is a long road ahead of us.... Just wish it was faster and not a week of testing esp bc our insurance sucks. We get new insurance bc of wife new job but still. Kind words neded Thanks all! Amanda

Re: Oh boy!

• Options

Could you provide a little more information on what your journey includes so far?  My wife and I aren't doing at home insemination, so I can't offer any suggestions/advice regarding that.  There are others who may be able to though. 

What kind of testing is being done?  We began working with a RE back in July and had our first IUI in August.  Sometimes testing can be helpful.  I've posted about this in other threads when others have asked about having blood work and testing done.  I had the required blood work completed when we first started and found that one of my hormone levels was low.  This helped my RE explain that I need to use fertility meds, otherwise it wouldn't work.  Before knowing this, I wanted to try a natural cycle or two before turning to fertility meds.  That just isn't in the cards for me, and that is ok. 

Yesterday I had further testing of sorts...two surgeries.  From those two surgeries it was discovered that I had endometriosis.  We already knew I had a little dip at the top of my cervix.  As it turned out, it was worse than he thought and he also fixed this uterine septum.  Without fixing both of these things, I would never be able to get pregnant.  If I had somehow managed to, I would not have carried to term.  I want to be fully informed about my body and how we can make pregnancy happen.  Yes, surgery meant sitting out at least one cycle, probably two; however, without them, we would continue to be trying to make something happen that there was no chance of in the first place. 

I hope this is a little helpful for you.  I haven't been on this journey as long as many others here, but we can all echo the sentiment that it can be frustrating.  It can be a long road full of things you never expected.  That is what makes it your journey though.  I really encourage you to keep us updated in the TTC Check-In thread on Mondays.  This whole board is a great place for support and knowledge. 

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Hi Amanda,

I can't speak for at home insemination but I just wanted to say you've come to the right place. People on this board are pretty supportive and SUPER knowledgable but the problem is...there is no easy answer and it's different for everyone.

The best advice I can give you is:

1. Read everything you can...not message boards but actual information in the different processes. You are your own best advocate.
    2. Support your partner and allow your partner to support you. You guys are in this together and combined you should make the best possible cheering section! It's not always going to be easy but you will learn how strong you can be.
    3. Be kind to yourself.
    4. Be an advocate for yourself...that is something I learned a little later in the game then I would have liked. Even though you think you have a doctor in your corner they may not be fully with you. You gotta speak up to be heard...or at least that is what we've learned.

This group is here for support!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also am curious what your journey has entailed thus far. When my wife and I decided we wanted to start TTC this past spring a lot had to be done before we were ready to actually begin. I got my wisdom teeth out bc they had been bothering me and I didn't want to worry about that while pregnant. We also went though all the testing.I had more tests than DW as I was planning to carry the baby, but they did test her for things that I could catch from her. I am glad we were required to do the tests bc it turned out I was a carrier for a bacteria in my uterus which could have caused infertility issues and/or miscarriage. I was treated for that and we were able to begin TTC via a natural IUI cycle the next month (march). We chose not to do the home insemination route, although it may work well for other couples, it didn't seem like a good fit for us after we talked about it. I think in the long run we also saved money by going the iui route bc I was monitored and conceived the first try for the two IUIs i had. My first iui I revieved a bfp but then miscarried at 10.5 weeks but now I am pregnant again and am 18 weeks. Best of luck on your journey, and may it be a smooth one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We did at home insemination and got pregnant on the 3rd try, although the 2nd was horribly timed so it only took 2 well-timed tries. It worked for us, but certainly doesn't work for everyone. 

I had the basic testing done that others have mentioned, an ultrasound, testing for certain diseases like YBnormal mentioned and hormones-estrogen, progesterone, thyroid, and some others that I don't remember. 

If any of these had come back not normal, we probably would not have tried at home. I also tracked my cycles on and off for a year before we tried so that we had a good idea of when I would ovulate even though I had really irregular cycles. 

Our plan was to try at home a few times and if it didn't work or we felt the timing was too hard, we'd go with triggers and IUI with and RE. You just have to do what feels best to you taking in all the various factors, possibly changing your original plan if things change. I'd be happy to answer any questions about at home insemination that you may have. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The testing can be a good thing -especially if your insurance will at least cover the initial diagnostics. Straight people can try for a while with zero cost. Unless you are planning at home insemination with a known donor there will definitely be a financial cost (and an emotional one too) and it's good to be armed with as much info as possible. It's actually an advantage we have over straight people if you think about it - we get to go immediately to the diagnostics rather than trying for 6-12 months before seeing an RE!

That said, there are people on this board who have success with at home insemination if that seems like the best route for you. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DW and I tried for 3 months doing at home inseminations with no luck.  We saw an RE in April and he did many blood tests, HSG, ultrasound and a water ultrasound to start.  The reason is to rule out problems before putting me on fertility medication.  Everything came out normal and I was on Clomid and HCG shot for 3 months and still no pregnancy.  I just went last week for a uterine laprascopy to look at my entire pelvis, uterus and fallopian tubes.  All is clear, so we are hoping to do an IUI on Clomid next month.
    So I agree with the previous women that the tests ahead of time are a good thing.  It was a little frustrating for me because we did all the tests and found nothing wrong at all, which is a good and bad things.  There is no explanation as to why I am not getting pregnant, but I am lucky that there isn't anything major wrong.
    If you insurance isn't great I would do some research on the test your RE is recommending and do the ones that will give you the most information.  Maybe try for a few months and then try additional tests, that is what we have done.  
    Best of luck to you!
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    Not to sound like a broken record, but all the testing really is a good thing. :) I had the same surgery as @StacyLH24 in October (and had the same dx, too, amazingly enough)... and although I am frustrated at having to wait even longer to start TTC, our tiny blessing is that we have not had to experience the disappointment and frustration of a BFN because we chose to do any testing, surgery, etc. before moving on to selecting a donor and starting IUI.

My advice for now is to trust in the process, and embrace it. :)

Lesbian couple from SW Ontario, Canada | Me: 29 + 1 DF: 44 | Together 3.5 yrs, getting married in 2015 | TTC since Jun 2013

My Dx: PCOS, blocked fallopian tube(s), mild endometriosis & uterine septum (both removed during surgery Oct 11/13)

Jun 24/13: referral to Fertility Clinic ordered by gyne

Aug 15/13: initial consult with FS at Victoria Hospital Fertility Clinic, BW & HSG ordered 

Aug 20/13: HSG shows one tube completely blocked, other tube slow to fill

Sep 18/13: FU w/FS re: HSG & BW. BW normal, laser laparoscopy & hysteroscopy ordered

Oct 11/13: Hysteroscopy, laser laparoscopy, & HSG determined I actually have a uterine septum and mild endometriosis, and that my tubes were never blocked! Septum and endo removed with laser during surgery. Post-op in 6 wks.

Nov 26/13: Post-op - fully healed with no complications; confirmed tubes are clear and septum and endo removed. Referred to Donor Insemination program.

• Options
    My DP and I did an at home insemination with a known donor. We tracked my ovulation and inseminated one to two times each month using a syringe and an instead cup. We tried for 3 months and I got pregnant on the 3rd try. We now have a healthy 1 month old little girl. Good luck on your journey.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"