Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

getting too much formula

I'm prettymuch a lurker because I like to search the boards for answers and advice before bothering everyone, but I can't find anything helpful to this situation. My 2 month old is formula fed (tried so hard to breastfeed but it just didn't work out). He gets 40 oz in a 24 hour period. Today our doctor said that he should be getting no more than 32 oz a day. I've tried giving him more at feedings in hopes that he'll last longer but that doesn't help. I've tried distracting him with playtime or a pacifier but that doesn't help either. Our doctor said to try to distract him or just let him cry. I just don't know what to do because he's hungry and screaming bloody murder so I don't want to deny him food. Does anyone have any suggestions? Our doctor also said not to give him rice cereal until he's 4 months.

Re: getting too much formula

• Options
    Honestly I would continue to give him what he is hungry for, it's not like he's going to get grossly overweight from a few more ounces. I don't think babies eat more than their little growing bodies need. Kind of weird your doctor would want you to let him cry rather then feed him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I know, it is really weird that he'd rather him cry. I agree, if the only risk is he could gain too much weight then I'd rather give him what his body is asking for. His weight is fine so I guess its possible he could just be a hungry fella. Thanks :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is he maybe eating too fast? He might be getting full, but it takes a bit of time for the stomach to signal the brain that it's had enough and in the meantime he might just keep eating (this happens with adults too!). I would try to make sure he takes the bottle more slowly. Instead of giving him more hoping he goes longer between feedings, have you tried giving him a little less but feeding more often? Sorry your pedi wants him to cry it out. I wouldn't be comfortable with that either. Is there another pedi you can see for a 2nd opinion or something?
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • Options
    I would feed on demand, and look for a new pediatrician. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have also read and heard that a baby should get no more than ~32 oz a day. But I can't see letting LO just cry. Can you slow little one down? Does he burp good? Does LO have reflux? The reflux made my DD2 want to eat all the time. Does your pedi have any medical concerns as to why that amount is not satisfying him. I certainly don't think you should just deny LO but creditable medical info says no more than 32 oz. I feel like your pedi is a tool for saying what he said though. 
  • Options
    Can you try to pace the feeding slower? Burp him more often throughout, angle the bottle differently and/or use a slower flow nipple? Maybe he's eating too fast.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the others.  Feed LO when they desire it.  My first was 20lbs at 6 months.  Chunky little thing.  She quickly leveled out once she started crawling and walking.  No big deal.  My pedi says to follow their ques.  If my LO cries for food (and he just ate a short while ago), I do try things like changing his diaper.....walking around with him....little things to distract.  If nothing works, I will prepare him more formula.  I think it's sad that your pedi wants LO to cry this young about this!
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I'm going to try a different pedi.. I have slow flow moles bc he inhales his food lol, he just gets hungry again after only 2 hours, which I didn't think was too too bad. I'm not sure if he has a reflux problem, he does spit up but I think it's a normal amount. I'll try burping him more. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I'm going to try a different pedi.. I have slow flow moles bc he inhales his food lol, he just gets hungry again after only 2 hours, which I didn't think was too too bad. I'm not sure if he has a reflux problem, he does spit up but I think it's a normal amount. I'll try burping him more. 
    Slow flow nipples ...not moles lol autocorrect...
  • Options
    DS just had his 2 month appt and we asked how much formula he should have...his pedi said as much as he wants. Feed on demand, that there is no set amount he should or shouldn't have. If he's gaining at an acceptable level he's being fed properly. There are dats DS will eat 40oz other days only 25.
    BFP #1 11/27/11 EDD 08/08/12 M/C 01/27/12 12 wks 2 days
    BFP #2 04/25/12 EDD 01/04/13(?) confirmed ectopic 05/16/12 6 wks 5 days 2 doses of MTX-Lost left tube on 05/25/12 Back to TTC, earlier than originally expected.
    BFP #3 01/05/13 EDD 09/17/13 u/s 1/24/13-great appt, measuring 2 days ahead, NT scan 3/11/13-great scan measuring 4 days ahead, A/S 4/29/13-another great scan can't wait to meet my baby BOY!!!!!
    My Blog

My Sweet (and Spoiled) Furbaby Cali
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PgAL/PAL Welcome

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"