Pregnant after 35

First appt and concerns

I am around 5/6 weeks right now and my first appointment with a doctor isn't until December 17th when I'm 10 weeks. Is this normal? It seems like a long gap to me but I can't remember how this all works as it's nearly 16 years since I had my last one!  Now I am an "AMA" shouldn't it be sooner than 10 weeks?

I do have two niggling concerns... (TMI Alert) - I have had brown stringy spotting constantly for the last week but I only see it when I wipe. It's definitely old blood, no new red blood but it's not stopping. Also, the biggest scar (from the last time I gave birth) on my perineum is really sore all of a sudden for no apparent reason and I can't even begin to imagine what that's all about. It's not serious, more annoying and stingy.

Is it worth asking for the appointment to be moved forward?  
Master of 'the look' 

Re: First appt and concerns

• My doctor wouldn't see me until 8 weeks. Then she was booked up all through the holidays so I'm having to wait 9 weeks.

I personally wouldn't be concerned about the brown spotting. To me, and I'm no OB, it sounds like maybe left over implanting blood & some CM. Not sure about the scar other than our bodies do obnoxious things when we're pregnant.

Ultimately, if you are concerned in ANY way...call your doctor & ask to be seen sooner.

Congrats & welcome!

• Thanks Skeemer. I'm going to try and be brave and not freak anymore as it's a bad habit. Rationally I know the spotting is not serious and I will know when/if it is. The sore bits thing is crazy, I'll hit the cortisone cream and hope it heals up. 
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my first appointment around 8.5 weeks so I don't think age creates any need to get in sooner. definitely try to see your doctor earlier if anything persists, gets worse, or if you really are still concerned. As Skeemer said our bodies do weird things during pregnancy. I have a two year old scar on my abdomen from gallbladder surgery and it started hurting during early pregnancy, too.
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • I think the only time they usually make a point to see you sooner is if you have a history of loss as in my case. But even then they won't do the initial ultrasound to estimate your due date because it's just too early.

Your body will go through all kinds of phases and at one time or another pretty much everything will be sore so don't let that freak you out. As for the spotting it doesn't sound alarming at this point since you aren't cramping and it isn't getting heavier, but I would still call and report it to your dr as they may want a blood test to check your levels. My general rule is to report any bleeding at any time and the dr can determine whether it's cause for concern.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • The timing of your apt is normal, only reason for earlier is for progesterone/other medication in history of losses and for ultrasound to date the pregnancy.  Seeing blood of course is bothersome but also completely normal especially brown/old blood.  Hope you have a wonderful pregnancy!
  • FWIW, my doctor saw me for the first time at 6 or 7 weeks and it was pointless. They can't really do anything; they didn't listen for a heartbeat with a doppler until my next appointment at 10w (ultrasounds are handled in a totally different office in a different building from my doctors, YMMV).

I spotted as if I was getting my period right around my BFP (and I'm 23w with a healthy little girl, now).

Congratulations and best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Thanks guys, I feel a whole lot better after those replies :)  I will probably give them a call tomorrow and see what they say, as I did have a miscarriage three years ago. Having said that I also had a Hysteroscopy and fibroids/polyps removed two months ago so there's probably all kinds of old stuff clearing out! Ew. 

I am having really really mild cramps on and off, but they literally last for maybe 10 seconds to a few minutes and then fizzle away. They are so mild I haven't been concerned about it.  
    Master of 'the look' 
  • My first appointment is Dec 16th, and they wanted it later but I will be out of the country. It seems it is normal timing even at our "age" unless there is a reason, like history of loss of other problems. I do not think my ob intends to treat me any differently even though I am 38 because I have no history to indicate otherwise. I posted about that earlier but it seems to be normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had an appt at 6 weeks.  I asked the scheduler if we should wait until 8 or 9 weeks, but she said the midwives had openings, so why not?  I was able to get the paperwork and the up front stuff done earlier, and they scheduled me for a dating ultrasound since I had no idea when I conceived - I'm terrible with that sort of stuff! 

I'm sure every office is different, but call them if you have any concerns and congratulations!!

• it is normal. Best of luck! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"