Preemies
Options

Intro and 35 weeker question

Hello. I had DD2 at 35w 3d because my water broke. I was a high risk pregnancy due to clotting disorders. Had DD1 at 30w 5d almost 4 yrs ago due to an abruption.

DD2 is 9 weeks old. Came home with me with only 3 days of nicu time mainly under observation. They suspected a seizure on day 1 but it never reoccurred. They werent even sure it was a seizure. We are ebf and gaining weight like champs. But she isnt smiling in response to our clowning around. She has given us random smiles but they are very few and rare.

Please tell me of your experiences and whether I should be concerned at this point.

Re: Intro and 35 weeker question

• Options
    Welcome! I remember my boys who were 28 weekers didn't do social smiles until about 7-8 weeks adjusted. I think if you consider adjusted age, she's only 4 weeks so those smiles are probably just around the corner. I remember that being one of the many things that was so hard to wait long for!
  • Options
    jbranden12jbranden12 member
    edited November 2013
    Welcome! I agree with Mrs. Alice, it's probably too soon. Did they do a head ultrasound after the suspected seizure? 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hi and welcome!

Is your little girl 9 weeks actual or adjusted? If she's 9 weeks actual, I wouldn't worry. Social smiling typically doesn't occur until about 2 months of age (although 'gas smiles' are common in our house haha). Always look for milestones based on adjusted age, not actual age for a preemie - and even then they might still take a little longer, so even if she is 9 weeks adjusted, I wouldn't worry too much, yet. Every baby is different!
  • Options
    Congratulations and Welcome!

• Options
    Thank you ladies. She is 9 weeks actual. They did a head ultrasound and it was fine. I doubt it was a seizure as we discovered reflux and think she choked on her formula feed (given as my milk hadnt come in yet).

DD1 had bilateral grade 1 IVH that resolved before diacharge. She smiled at 1 week adjusted surprising all of us.

I guess I was so used to handling DD1 by the time she came home from her 45 day nicu stay that this time I feel at sea with no prolonged professional support and advice. I feel totally lost and like a ftm with DD2.
  • Options
    Congrats on your baby!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    kobicoukobicou member
    edited November 2013
    I am just so much more worried this time around. Today am freaking out about less eye contact.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"