Working Moms
Options

WDYT? Mom fined $10 for "unapproved" homemade lunch

Re: WDYT? Mom fined $10 for "unapproved" homemade lunch

• Options
    I guess I am more confused on the lack of grain? I guess a potato is considered a veggie?? :-??

Is this a licensing thing? Or maybe an accreditation requirement? I know our school had to have a specific menu to be accredited, so maybe each child has to have something from each food group while at the center?

Either way, ritz crackers do not equal grains in my book, and I wouldn't be paying the fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It reminded me of the episode of Jamie Oliver's food revolution where he wanted to serve some school lunch (I think pasta with a bunch of veggies in the sauce) and the lunch ladies told him that because the sauce only counted as one veggie, they were required by law to supplement with a second vegetable: french fries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it shows the common sense and education level of some daycare management which is unfortunate. First, the meal was extremely balanced and sounds like what I serve at dinner and second, lmao at a ritz cracker being a "grain".
  • Options
    sillygirliosillygirlio member
    edited November 2013

shannm said:
    I think it shows the common sense and education level of some daycare management which is unfortunate. First, the meal was extremely balanced and sounds like what I serve at dinner and second, lmao at a ritz cracker being a "grain".

Umm.... this has nothing to do with the education level of daycare employees.  It's an overbearing government issue.  I know because I've dealt with it.  It's an "enforce this or lose your licensing thing"... not a reflection of the intelligence of people who work with children.

Good grief.

• Options
    I understand about the school licensing and policy but that is a bit much to fine her.  Her child had a healthy meal from the mother.  It is not like she just gave the child cookies and chips for lunch. I do think it is great that they are trying to make sure the students have healthy foods but a fine a little over the top.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    That is a truly bizarre policy. Though I get what pp is saying about how it's not for kids whose parents care enough to make healthy meals.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sugarbear0524sugarbear0524 member
    edited November 2013
    I read that the mom in question was a part of the committee that set the standards...
  • Options
    Nechie122Nechie122 member
    edited November 2013
    I think the issue is not so much with the policy itself but that it isn't based on common sense. That was one of the major failings and criticisms of the old food pyramid, that there was no nuance between good and bad choices within each category.

There's a quote in one of the interviews with the mom where she says "microwave Kraft Dinner and a hot dog, a package of fruit twists, a Cheestring, and a juice box" would have met the standard. Now, I can't tell if that's hyperbole or not, but just because there's a need for oversight doesn't mean this is the RIGHT policy and that it isn't being applied in ridiculous and illogical ways. How does this Kafkaesque policy, well-intentioned though it may be, benefit anyone?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I know of daycares in the US where if you choose to pack a lunch instead of eating the provided lunch then you have to meet all of the government dietary guidelines.

Although I think it's a bit ridiculous, I don't find fault with the daycare for following the guidelines that they HAVE to follow. Was the mom aware of the requirement? Was she aware that there would be a fine? I don't necessarily agree with the governments guidelines for what is considered a "healthy" lunch, but I think the intent is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    My point was it was a judgement call. Someone looked at the lunch and actually believed that a ritz cracker was the answer. How about a piece if whole wheat bread? How about a healthier cracker. Does Canada say that they have to supplement with ritz crackers?
  • Options

It was probably less a judgement call than it was one of the workers looking at the lunch, seeing that it was missing the required grain, thinking "crap, what do we have", looking on the list of government approved grains, and giving it to her.  Or even more simply, perhaps ritz crackers were the "grain" they were giving at lunch that day.  I don't know, I agree it's a ridiculous choice of "grains" and I personally don't eat grains often, but centers have rules they have to follow.  I've worked at places that didn't allow outside food at all, even with doctor's notes!

The fine is basically to force the parents follow the rules.  There has to be some sort of penalty or the center will be constantly dolling out ritz crackers (or what have you) that they don't get reimbursed for.  If the parent knows they're going to be fined a ridiculous sum for not following the rules, they will eventually make sure they get it right.  I've worked in this industry for a long time and believe me, most times the parents are more difficult to deal with than the kids!

• Options

shannm said:
    My point was it was a judgement call. Someone looked at the lunch and actually believed that a ritz cracker was the answer. How about a piece if whole wheat bread? How about a healthier cracker. Does Canada say that they have to supplement with ritz crackers?
    My thoughts exactly! I would think a school cafeteria should be more likely to have a slice of bread in the pantry than Ritz crackers. I have to wonder if she's ever received a warning. Even if I agreed with the rule, I don't understand fining on the first offense.
  • Options
    Well clearly the wheat growers association of Canada won out on this one. Forced consumption of processed grains, trumping a parent's call on what's an acceptable lunch - it's all just an elaborate subsidy to grain growers. Their lobbyists are good. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"