VBAC

Failure to Progress and VBAC - am I eligible???

With my first pregnancy, I was (reluctantly!) induced only 3 days past my due date. I labored for 2 days, only making it to 2 cm after tons of pitocin (didn't want that at all!). Does failure to progress have anything to do with my being able to VBAC? Do you think I failed to progress because I was induced too early? I feel sad even now thinking about my "failed" attempt at a natural childbirth... I know I would be so good at it if I had the chance!

Re: Failure to Progress and VBAC - am I eligible???

• Thanks for responding! I am not really sure why they jumped right into an induction. They never showed concern for me or the baby as if it were an urgent thing for our safety. I felt like it was sort of early when they suggested it, but I went along with it because I'm not a doctor either! In hindsight, I wish I had asked more questions and had more presence in the Dr. office at the time. I was overdue, uncomfortable, and ready to get him outta there (aren't we all at the end?!) but I had no idea that an induction could fail and I didn't have enough knowledge or guts to feel like I had a right to question it. I hadn't read as much about induction and c section because I was too busy preparing for a natural birth! Sigh... What was your experience like?
  • I think the fact you were induced has a lot to do with how your birth ended. Induction can raise your chance of a CS to 50%. So I would think your chances of VBAC are fine, something like 75% of all women who try are able to VBAC.

Do you have a new provider??? Definitely find a new office now, whether or not you're pg.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • This is what happened to me too though I was induced due to decreases movement but when I got to hospital everything was fine with her they just convinced me to go ahead with the induction even though I wanted to wait til 42 weeks. I didn't make it past 2 centimeters after 32 hrs and had csection. I also wanted natural birth and really want that chance with my next pregnancy. My doctor said due to my "failure to progress" I was higher risk for repeate c section but she would let me try vbac if I start labor naturally (no induction allowed). However they won't let me get to far if at all past 40 weeks next time. Not sure if this is all specific to my dr or general for vbac.

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your case is exactly like mine. Premature induction due to being "late" with an unfavorable body, 2 days of labor, stalled at 2cm. I tried for a VBAC with #2 but never went into labor on my own so had a RCS at 42 weeks. I know the odds r against me this time because of my history, but I'm trying again and am prepared to wait until 42 weeks again if that's what it takes. I really think my failed efforts are because my babies take a long time to cook and they just weren't ready. It's silly to think that at 40 weeks, all babies should be out. I truly feel that the first time, with my failed induction, that I should not have been induced and that's what led to my c/s and I would assume that's true for you. Premature inductions are just not going to work if your body isn't favorable, not matter how much pitocin they pump into you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PPs, dont blame yourself and yes you can definitely still try. I had a similar story, I was all geared up for a natural birth. During my 41 week checkup my LOs heart rate dropped to 50 bpm so I had to be induced, and i ended up with a c/s after laboring with no progress and her heart rate continuing to drop. My dr said there's nothing I could have done to avoid the c/s, and she approved me to VBAC in as early as 18 months from the c/s. So you go for your VBAC and best wishes that it will work out for you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• It sounds like you had a low bishop score (an assessment of how favorable your cervix is--the higher the better for inducing labor).  Inductions in first time moms who don't have a favorable cervix are very likely to fail, and that is no reflection on your body or ability to labor in the future.  FTMs who are induced have double the risk of a cesarean so it's very possible you wouldn't have needed a c/s if you weren't induced, and won't need one in the future.  And studies show that moms who had their c/s for FTP still have 60% or higher odds (I can't remember any exact numbers off the top of my head) of a successful VBAC, so that shows it's very possible that your next delivery will be nothing like the first. 

GL!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't see why you wouldn't be a good candidate. You didn't have any complications. I would do a ton of research and make sure you are educated to make the right decision for you and baby.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• This was totally my story 5 years ago. I was induced at 38 weeks 2 days because I spiked a mysterious fever and DD wasn't looking so good on the monitor. They maxed me out on pitocin and 50 hours later I was only at 5cm. I got a c-section and was straight up told "some women don't dilate." Well 3 years later I managed to experience real labor, dilated to 10cm and had a VBAC. Nothing wrong with trying.
  • I also had a c/s with DD due to "failure to progress", as many people on here have told me, "failure to progress = failure to wait on the doctors behalf." I labored for 12 hours and got up to 3.5 cm, but the OB said it was long enough. I think you should still give it a shot, it is worth it. FWIW many OBs have told me, my previous OB did not give me nearly enough time, and she did several other things wrong too. (Broke my water too early.) 

• I just had a successful VBAC on November 27th. I had a c-section 2 years ago for failure to progress (my water broke but no connections, never made it past a 4).
  • This thread eases my mind.  With DD, I went into the hospital, too early I think, and had a c-section after being induced. From the time I got the to hospital to the c-section, only 14 hours had lapsed. I honestly feel like I went in too early as I went in 2 days prior to my due date.  My water did not break on its own.  Fast forward 7 years later, I am planning on attempting a VBAC.  My only real concern is that my DD was 8lbs15oz.  This LO is a boy so I'm worried he'll be bigger than DD and that my OB won't want to let me try.
    ~Jessica~ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"