Babies: 6 - 9 Months

IUD

Pros and cons for hormonal vs. non hormonal?? I don't do well on pills (bad side effects), so I'm trying to figure out what's best??

Re: IUD

• I've never used an IUD but I love the Nuva Ring- I've been back on it a couple months now. Before DD I was on it for 3 or 4 years.
  • I got the paragard about five years ago. The idea of a non hormonal birth control sounded good to me. My doctor did tell me that I could have more painful periods. She was right! I have a pretty high pain tolerance but for about a week every month I had constant excruciating pain. I lasted 6 months and had to get it taken out.

This time around I got the mirena and have had no issues and no periods (I am breastfeeding as well) the mirena has been a much better choice for me.

That's my experience!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We use NFP and chart my cycles. No side effects!
  • I had an IUD in for 9 months and never again.  It gave me the constant need to eat, diahrea after literally everything I ate, extremely painful periods, frequent cramping and terrible acne.  As soon as it was out everything went away and my best friend had the same experience.  I now have the implenon in the arm and it's fantastic.  Not one single side effect and I've had it 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have Mirena.  I bled for several weeks shortly after getting it inserted (this is normal), but other than that I've had no side effects and I love it.  A lot of women don't have periods at all on Mirena.  I still get a period, but it is extremely light and lasts about a day and a half with mild cramping right when I start. My experience has been wonderful and I don't have to think about birth control every day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the mirena now and love it. I am bad at taking meds daily and it gives me peace if mind. No side effects for me. I debated paraguard due to no hormones. My ob advised against it as I had bad periods before my son and they could be potentially worse. I was in nuva ring before I got pregnant. I had to be off for a yr before trying to conceive as it majorly screwed with my hormone levels and made me crazy.

photo 7e743566-12ed-490b-ab2b-c02defa0dfc7_zps2f01858c.jpg

• I had the Paragard placed a little over 3 years ago, and other than the heavy periods, I like it. By heavy, I mean I use the ultra? tampons by Tampax, and I have to change them about every 2 hours. It's crazy. I never used to use anything more than the regular tampons. I don't really get the cramps like a lot of women do, so I'm thankful for that. I don't do well on hormonal bc either, and this has been great. Very reliable.
  • I had the Paragard placed a little over 3 years ago, and other than the heavy periods, I like it. By heavy, I mean I use the ultra? tampons by Tampax, and I have to change them about every 2 hours. It's crazy. I never used to use anything more than the regular tampons. I don't really get the cramps like a lot of women do, so I'm thankful for that. I don't do well on hormonal bc either, and this has been great. Very reliable.
    I'm looking at Mirena too, because this ^^ is what my periods are like normally.  I can't imagine them even worse!

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• I have the paragard and love it. Never any side effects even the 2 years prior to getting pregnant. My periods were slightly heavier for a few months but that subsided.
  • I had Skyla the 3 year version of Mirena for about 3-4 months.  The doctor inserted it wrong so it stabbed my husband every time we tried to be intimate.  The doctor refused to take it out unless we "persevered" for six months.  During this time, I had mood swings, I was unable to lose weight even though I was actively trying, and I was waking up with horrible back pain, none of these things I attributed to the IUD.  When I finally had it removed (because really it's supposed to be birth control not a chastity belt) all of those things went away.

I'm on the pill now, but I would strongly suggest avoiding the hormonal IUD and going for the non-hormonal version, just make sure your doctor inserts it correctly.
  • I had to go through 2 insertions of the Mirena due to it "moving" and not planting in the right position (which is typically in the fundus of the uterus). I had my second one recently taken out because I had stabbing pain and serious mood swings. I never got my period on it (I'm also breastfeeding) but let me tell you, the bleeding that took place once removed was horrendous. I was scheduled to have a third one placed soon but I cancelled. I've had too many symptoms and problems with it.

My sister has had hers for 5 yrs and just got her second one and loves it though. It's different for everyone.  Worth a try if your insurance covers it. I would still recommend trying it.

• I have mirena. Getting it placed was a bitch but since then I have had no issues. A bit of lit spotting here and there but no real period. I am also still breastfeeding. I haven't had any weird side effects.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"