Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Baby's First Birthday

I am starting to feel like I am the only parent in the world NOT having a party for my daughter's 1st birthday... just me, dad and her and a cake.... am I in the minority here? So close to Christmas it's hard to do both at the moment!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby's First Birthday

• Options
    Emma's is the day after Thanksgiving, so on thanksgiving we are doing cake and presents at one side of the family and then going to the other side on her actual birthday doing thanksgiving and cake and presents there. So we aren't having party just family and smash cakes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We aren't having a party, and I'm actually REALLY looking forward to just doing cake and hanging out with just me, DH, and her :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you asked me a few months ago, say when DD was 3-4 months and not interactive yet, I would have said that I will be throwing a big party, because I like planning parties, favors, invites...call me crazy, I was looking forward to making handmade fancy invites since before she was born (insert embarrassed face here...)

But I have changed my mind and we aren't having a party. It'll just be me, DH, my dad and sister who live with us. My brother goes to school close by so he might come by too, but that's it. Oh there will be cake:)

I feel like it's true that the first year is very special, and really I should celebrate it big that I made it to a year...it has not been easy at all...but I know my daughter very well and throwing a party will only stress her out big time. She is a very cautious, slow to warm up baby and doesn't like loud noises or people... it takes her a while to warm up to unfamiliar people (which is pretty much everyone besides us and my dad and sister).  I have to constantly tell friends and family to back off, don't be in her face, she needs time or she'll freak out and scream nonstop. I feel like it'll not be fair to her because she will not enjoy it at all and will be clinging to me for protection or crying the whole time. 

• Options
    I was dead set on not having a party, I wanted it small and personal. I ended up planning a party, the day after his birthday (so his real birthday can just be us). The reason I changed my mind is now on Christmas I won't feel bad for not going to see everyone since they'll see him a few days later. It's only family but I have a larger family so it's close to 40 people.. ugh! I feel like if I didn't plan one than my sister would have lol.
  • Options
    We aren't doing a big to do either. Just me, DH and my mom. I'm going to make lunch and bake a cake. We have no family nearby and I really don't have any friends yet (moved a across country).

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hmonttyhmontty member
    edited November 2013
    DS turns 1 on Dec. 28, but we're having a party -- mostly because we moved away from our close friends, and birthdays give us all a chance to get together, so we all celebrate each other's kids birthdays.

We also made a conscious decision when DS was born that we would always make a big deal out of his birthday, since it is so close to Christmas. We never want him to feel gyped. We will always make an effort to separate the two and to celebrate his birthday as if Christmas did not just happen.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I completely understand... We were not going to either (Christmas Eve babies here)... but in the last couple of weeks I decided to do something very small at our house so that the family and friends we have in the area and those that will be visiting for Christmas can see them have cake and all that fun stuff.  I am doing it on the 22nd so I don't expect a huge turn out and then we will do something just us on their Birthday.
  • Options
    We are just doing a small family get together, but no real party. I am going to order a cake, but I think  that the 1st birthday is more for the parents than the kids.
  • Options
    We aren't doing a huge party, but we're definitely having one. I want to make sure I never use the holidays as a reason to not celebrate her birthday. This birthday party is more for us than her anyways so it'll probably be a bit bigger this year and then pretty small the next few years until she's really old enough to remember/enjoy the party.
  • Options
    You can do a 3 hour party around lunchtime. Invite a few close friends as well as in-town family. I don't think you'll regret making something special of the occasion. But if you are rally not in to it, that is fine too :)
  • Options
    I have a Christmas Eve baby and our family is asking about when we are celebrating his birthday. I feel weird to just celebrate it with one side of the family and it's too busy of a holiday to have a separate party so I'm  thinking I will making two small smash cakes and celebrate with each family when we are with them around Christmas. Though I don't know how it will be being that one side will see him with the cake for the the first time. Thinking of making the cake a "car" since that is the word he says constantly these days lol!
  • Options
    vdavis89 said:
    I am starting to feel like I am the only parent in the world NOT having a party for my daughter's 1st birthday... just me, dad and her and a cake.... am I in the minority here? So close to Christmas it's hard to do both at the moment!

This is what I want, but I'm being out voted here. DH already mentioned it in front of ILs, so now we'll likely be having a party bigger than our house will hold!
    *** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"