2nd Trimester
Options

Running/walking - when is enough, enough

I'm 16 and a half weeks and I've been walking 3 to 5 miles everyday. I've tried to jog but it hurts and I'm out of breath instantly. Is it wrong of me to push myself because I miss jogging and I want to jog a 10k on Thanksgiving ...

Re: Running/walking - when is enough, enough

• Options
    Listen to your body on this one. If jogging hurts, then it's your body's way of telling you not to do it.  I ran a lot pre-preg, and haven't been able to since about 12 weeks.   If it's just being out of breath, then I think  you can try to increase your cardio by doing lower impact activities (maybe elliptical) to build more stamina.

I hate to say it, but if jogging "hurts" then you probably won't be jogging a 10K in less than two weeks.   You can try a walk/jog, but you definitely need to listen to your body on this one.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hurts how?  If you've not been running at all up to this point, it may be time to stick with walking - just listen to your body!  I was able to run until about 28 weeks with my first - until I was sidelined with back pain.  That pain started earlier with #2 so I switched to the elliptical and walking.  If it "hurts" as in you are super winded, slow down!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What kind of hurt?  I am still running about 12 miles a week and I get far more winded that I did pre-pregnancy, but I do the best I can and walk when I need to.
  • Options
    I ran till 22 weeks then my belly started feeling sore at the end of the day. I didn't like that feeling, so I started walking & haven't had that feeling since. Best to just listen you your body & how you feel.
  • Options
    I used to run a lot pre-pregnancy, but at about 14 weeks I would get winded easily and my feet would get swollen really fast.  The further into my pregnancy I get, the less I do.  I just know carrying a little bundle in my belly is far more important than getting my "run" on.   I still exercise, but I don't push it.
  • Options
    I would listen to your body on this one and do not push yourself.  I'm 26 weeks and still running, but if it hurt I wouldn't be.  

If you haven't been running lately, I would not try to run a 10k next week - 10k is still about an hour's worth of running which is kind of a lot.  You could, however, sign up to walk it - it sounds like you're well-trained and ready for that :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I echo all the advice to listen to your body, but I will also say that just like every single other aspect of pregnancy, running is one of those things that changes from week to week / day to day.  Some days and weeks runs feel really great and easy and other days and weeks, they simply do not.  If you don't want to give up entirely, allow yourself to be flexible i.e. tell yourself to go as slow as you want and allow yourself to cut runs short if you really don't feel good.  I'm almost into my 3rd trimester and oddly enough, running feels way better in the second trimester than it did in the first.  
    If it hurts when you run, or it is not enjoyable to you, its not worth it to continue.  I'm doing it because I enjoy it and enjoy the time spent doing it.  There are lots of other exercises you could try -- biking on a stationary bike, walking, swimming . . .
  • Options
    My OB said just to use common sense and don't go beyond what your heart and lungs can handle at the time. Don't worry so much about sore, sluggish muscles -- pregnancy comes with lots of aches and pains, and it's usually not dangerous to work through them (within reason, and only if you're having an otherwise normal, healthy pregnancy...blah blah disclaimer blah blah); however, if you're overheating, gasping for breath, and/or starting to feel dizzy, it's time to rest for a few and start back up at a milder pace. Remember that every day is different, so it's entirely possible to feel like roadkill one day and then kick butt the rest of the week.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"