Toddlers: 24 Months+

Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis

Hi,
Has anyone's LO been diagnosed with JRA? If so, how old were they when they started having symptoms? How long did they have symptoms for and what were they? Did a blood test confirm it? Any info you can give will be helpful.
Thanks

Re: Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis

• One of my husband's high school friend's LO has it. I don't know the details, but she found out about a year ago and since then she has been on a journey to find solutions for her DD. They have tried so many medications and therapy. I could possibly get her to contact you if you PM me your email. She would be a good person to talk to. She is very involved. 
  • My son was diagnosed with JIA (JRA) this past year.  He was 21 months old when he started having symptoms and he is turning 3 next month.  It all started with him limping and then he developed a fever and a rash.  They originally thought he had a septic hip and he ended up with close to 7 hip washout surgeries.  When nothing was growing in the cultures and no antibiotics were helping, they realized it was not a septic hip and then were thinking it was HLH (Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis).  He was treated with 8 weeks of steroids and responded well to the treatment.  However, when he came off of the steroids, all of his symptoms returned.  At that point, we started involving the Rheumatologists and they recommended a biological medication called Anakinra (Kineret).  It is a daily injection.  He has been on that medication since July 2013 and is doing great.  He is 100% symptom free when he is on the medication.  The Rheumatologists recommend that he stay on the medication for 2 years.  They said that typically children with JIA grow out of it by the time they are adults.  As far as blood tests, there really is no blood test that confirms JIA.  Some of the blood tests that they tracked with my son were C-Reactive Protein, Sed Rate, and Ferritin.  Hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for all the info. its all very helpful. Curious as to which steroid he was on?

When he was limping, would it come and go or was it a constant limp? Was it worse in the mornings or after naps? Any other joints effected?
  • He was on Dexamethasone. His limping would come and go. It was definitely worse in the mornings and after nap. For him, no other joints were effected.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"