Adoption
Options

First meeting with social worker!

Good Morning and Happy Friday!

After many months of second guessing ourselves and wondering if we can financially go through with adoption, we have made the decision that, yes, this is for us!  We submitted our application to our agency of choice (Adoptions From the Heart) and we were accepted!  Our first meeting with our social worker is Tuesday.

Any suggestions for any good questions to ask or any advice at all?  In typical fashion, I'm a nervous wreck and my husband is as cool and calm as can be.  Figures. Haha. 

TIA! 

J&B // Married 9/19/09
J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
February 2014: "Officially Waiting"

Re: First meeting with social worker!

• Options
    Hey, congrats on taking the first step!! Wishing you guys a speedy process!
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Options
    Congrats!

The first meeting will be mostly a get to know you session, and you'll get your stack of paperwork. We ended up enjoying our first meeting. DH really opened up to the SW.

What office are you using?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Dr.Loretta - We are using the Greensburg office (near Pittsburgh). 

J&B // Married 9/19/09

• Options
    Can't say much for advice (as we are just beginning this ourselves) but congrats and good luck! Hoping it'll be a quick and not so bumpy process for you!

*May Siggy Challenge - Parenting Fails*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Good luck. I'm not sure if your SW is directly employed by the agency or if they are a consultant. One question I wish I'd been more forceful and clear about asking is "What is the policy of agency representation at birth? What are the supports for the expectant/ birth mother? What are the supports for the adoptive family? "
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone!

@maryoosa - that is a great question -- thank you!! 

J&B // Married 9/19/09

• Options
    Congrats that is so exciting! We just sent in our application to an agency as well. So nice to finally be moving in a direction that we know will end with our child. How long did it take them to get back to you to tell you that they had accepted your application? Did they set you up with a social worker right away?
  • Options

Lurker popping in....Wishing you all the best Jenn!!

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    Hey Jenn, I would love to hear how your meeting with the social worker went today. We got our first call from our social worker and will be meeting with her soon. Anything that you would recommend asking or bringing to your meeting? Hope it was great!
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    meeeee05 -  Our meeting went great!  In was really informal and just a nice meet and greet type meeting.  She gave us everything we are going to need for our home study.  Asked us if we had any questions or problems or concerns.  And then asked us general questions about ourselves, our families, how we met, etc.  It was only about an hour and we didn't bring anything with us.  She just gave us a stack of papers for the home study.  

Thanks, @BeckyP005!  Nice to see you lurking! :) 

J&B // Married 9/19/09

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"