December 2011 Moms
Options

Spendy man hobbies

Why are man hobbies SO much more expensive that woman hobbies?? DH has so many hobbies and they are all ridiculously expensive. I wish he would stick to one. I asked for Christmas ideas for him and he gives me this list: track motorcycle, track suit and boots, Xbox one, playstation 4. All of which range from $400 to $2000. He also has guns to hunt with and got our dog he could take out with him. He's gone probably 3 times in the 5 years we've been married. I have no desire to do most hobbies and if I did, there is no way I could because there is no one to watch DS. I used to ride motorcycle but that went out the window as soon as I got pregnant. I don't know if it's because I'm jealous that I have to interests outside of family things or if its just the money. So what kind of hobbies do your DH do? Anything that is more family friendly?

Re: Spendy man hobbies

• Options

My DH is unfortunately developing a taste for unique Scotch whisky...He says it is an "investment" as the bottles do go up in price...But I have to keep reminding him that is only if you do not drink them!

I feel your pain T...

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options
    My DH likes skiing and golf. Neither of them are too pricey if he does them locally. Since we live in an area with easy access to both it isn't too bad until he gets the yen to travel somewhere exotic to do those hobbies. Then the costs really add up!
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    DH is cheap I guess, the only thing he REALLY wants this year is Grand theft auto 5, I'm not a fan of buying him games but it's definitely cheaper than hunting etc. He is also asking for a new Ipad from his mom since that's WAY out of our budget. @T what if you went to the shooting range with him sometime or skiing or something? DH and I are getting money to take ski lessons this year, it's not cheap but at least it's something we can do together.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    DH has pricey hobbies too, snowboarding and golf. Not very family friendly, although I do like to ski and when DD is older she will go too bc of where we live.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MH doesnt really have any hobbies but he does want the new Xbox for xmas.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    DH is cheap I guess, the only thing he REALLY wants this year is Grand theft auto 5, I'm not a fan of buying him games but it's definitely cheaper than hunting etc. He is also asking for a new Ipad from his mom since that's WAY out of our budget. @T what if you went to the shooting range with him sometime or skiing or something? DH and I are getting money to take ski lessons this year, it's not cheap but at least it's something we can do together.

I could go to the range with him, we also went snow skiing before DS came along and that was the most fun I think I've ever had. I would most definitely do that again. Maybe I should suggest that as a family Christmas present!
  • Options
    DH plays soccer which costs $85 per season. Cheap! He's gone every Sunday for a game for about 3-4 hours (including driving there and having a beer or two afterward), but it's his balance to family and work life, so it's alright with me. 
    He loves to spend his free time with DS, so I think I am pretty lucky. He hasn't touched his PS3 since Alex was born. 
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Options
    I also have a "cheap" hubby - in the literal and figurative sense...  He Skis and golfs, but both are pretty cheap considering that's also his employer and it's super rare that he goes somewhere else (he rarely gets time off as it is)...  Other than that, he's a "RUSH fan" - but still not too expensive there either...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well we have a cabin and so DH is always do some sort of work on it and it's always an "investment", which yes it is but it's a cabin - it doesn't have to be perfect!  Next project on his list is a new sliding door.  Luckily I was able to have him push that off until next year!

In the winter he ice fishes and so he wants some sort of thing called a Vexilar for his birthday and I have no idea what it is and there are different types and its $200-$300+ depending on the version.

Also he works in a fashion industry so he's constantly buying new clothes from Express.  That man has about 100 button down shirts and is always buying more!  Shirts and shoes.  He spends way more on clothes than I do!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My husband plays hockey, snowboards, and brews beer. I've asked him at least a dozen times what he would like for Christmas and he hasn't given me one idea. I think he'd love to do a snowboarding weekend somewhere, but I haven't figured out how to make that work logistically.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

DH's expensive hobby is woodworking, but I have a house filled with furniture made by him, for the most part solid Oak pieces, that our kids will hopefully love to have some day. So that kind of makes it worth it. :)

Otherwise he typically likes doing things around the house. He has had quite a summer since we moved to our new house. He got to buy all sorts of fun man things like a new lawn tractor, chain saw, leaf blower, & snow blower. All are normal things people get & use, but DH's issue is he has to have them NOW. He has no patience.

My 2 December boys

• Options
    DH does have expensive hobbies, and it bugs me too!

Snowmobiling...wouldn't be too bad if he didn't need to constantly be "upgrading", as well as traveling up north for trips.

Diesel Trucks (don't ask).  He does truck pulls throughout the summer.  Mostly it's for advertisement for his business (he's a fabricator and he does a lot of work for diesel pulling trucks, and he makes good money doing it).  But it's so expensive!!  New tires here, new parts here, rebuild transmission for $6,000 here...NBD he says...right. 

My hobbies are sewing and painting, lol...maybe I should take up diamond cutting or something :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Skiing, but we do that together, so I guess it doesn't count. We live in Texas, so getting to a mountain costs us some money. He used to golf, but now he only goes 2-3 times a year. He's actually selling his old Xbox and claims he will not buy another gaming system for a long time. He's a sports nut, so he watches a lot of football on TV during the season.

I guess his expensive "hobby" is buying electronics. He has all sorts of high tech stuff in the house.
  • Options
    I'm pretty lucky as far as this goes. The most expensive hobby is our season tix to the pro sports team in town. During the week I won't let DS go since he'd be so tired for daycare the next day but we all benefit on weekend games so I guess it's not so bad. Pretty much all of our hobbies are family-friendly and include DS. Sometimes I worry that's a bad thing though...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm jealous of those of you who said your husband's golf hobby was "cheap."  I think a large portion of DH's golf enjoyment is looking for and purchasing new clubs, so it's a fairly expensive hobby for him. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Doug works a lot so that doesn't leave much time for hobbies. He has a PS3 that he plays in his down time, and he also has a bicycle and golfs a few times a year.  Nothing crazy.

I'm the one with the expensive hobby...my horses...but M loves  them so that technically makes them a "family" hobby ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"