Preemies

Worried soon to be preemie mom

WinterPumpkinWinterPumpkin member
edited November 2013 in Preemies
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself - I am 34/3 weeks pregnant with DS2 and just found out that I will have to be induced on Friday (1 day shy of 35 weeks) due to cholestasis.

Originally our plan was to try and hold off with meds until 37 weeks but my liver enzyme levels have kept climbing to dangerous levels.

I had a textbook pregnancy with DS1 and am not familiar with preemies at all, I am terrified. My doctors kept assuring my that at 35 weeks LO will probably not need a NICU stay but Dr. Google has not been as reassuring.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, I have been reading older posts but have not yet found the answer to my worries :) Any reassuring stories? Advice? Thanks for reading and a big hug to all the preemie moms here.

ETA: although I realize how inaccurate u/s measurements can be, LO has been measuring 3 weeks ahead for the past two months and is estimated to be well above 6 lbs at this point - I don't even know if that changes anything.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Worried soon to be preemie mom

• @BostonKisses2 thank you for the reply. Yes I am starting to understand that it is very hard to predict how an individual baby will do once on the outside.

The unknown is really scaring me :(
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My LO was born at 34w0d, spontaneous labour. Luckily he weighed a whopping 6lbs and we were able to get both steroids for his lungs in before he came out (I was in labour for 4 days). So he was big and had no breathing issues, however he was still in the NICU for a month. At that young age he still struggled with his sucking and learning how to eat and had many Brady episodes which we had to wait for him to grow out of.
    So basically what I'm saying... Prepare yourself for a NICU stay, but hopefully it won't be for major issues and it won't be too long!
    I know when we were in there, there was a baby born same timeline as us and he was only in NICU 3 days... So it just depends on how your LO does.
    Goodluck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • CeeBug said:
    Welcome! Hopefully, your LO will not need a NICU stay, but my advice to you is to run away from Dr. Google. The only thing it will do is stress you out. Rely on what your doctors are telling you. Best of luck!
    I second this. When I was in the hospital the first time (when I got the steroids) the nurses told me DO NOT GOOGLE!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Married Sept 2008
    ~~TTC Nov 2010~~

IUI #2: 1/21/13-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(8M post wash) + progesterone= BFP!! EDD 10/13/13
    Beta #1=81.1 Beta #2=134.5 Beta #3=58.1 #4=2369 WTH?!-Not sure if its viable
    2/21/13 - Went to RE expecting the worse and saw the flutter of the heart.To God be the Glory!!

5/29 - It's a Girl!!
    8/21/13 - Naomi born at 32w3d by csection due to Pre-E
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~ 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    imagephoto A789AD50-EAFE-4955-A617-02358EF02DBE_zpsbxkk1n87.jpg
    My Wonder Woman!

• Agree with PPs - avoid google. You'll just make yourself more worried. I developed high BP at just shy of 31 weeks and then DD was delivered at 31 weeks 3 days due to elevated liver enzymes. However, the plan was to keep me on hospital bed rest until 34 weeks because after that point babies tend to do better. DD was in the NICU for exactly 1 month, so until 35 weeks gestation. I tell you this because to me this means that the odds are good that your baby will be healthy. Maybe you'll face some NICU time, but if you do just be strong and know that you WILL take your baby home eventually and keep him forever. The NICU will just be a memory (if you have to deal with it at all). Best of luck to you!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Wow they say that the preemie board is supportive - they were more than correct. I can't thank all of you enough, your replies are really making me feel so much better... I am mentally preparing myself for some NICU time, and hoping there is no reason why LO won't catch up to his peers before long, I hope this statement is correct, thank you everyone...
    BabyFruit Ticker

• DD was born on 11/1 at 34+2. My water broke at 30w and I spent the last 4w on hospital bed rest...worrying what would happen since all the docs wouldn't let me deliver past 34(and days). We were told to expect anything from 2 weeks in the NICU to her due date(12/11) but no one really knew of course. We ended up having a perfectly healthy baby, 5lb, 11oz with a short 6 days in the NICU- mainly to make sure she was eating well before going home. At 12 days old she's still doing great and I'd never know she was as early as she was except she's just small compared to her big sister who was full term. As for US measurements, I was told 4 days before my c-sec that DD was measuring 6lb 8oz, so they were about a half a pound +/- off.
    BFP #1 on 2.13.11, MM/C 04.11.11 @ 12W, 1D
    BFP #2 due on 2.17.12 - Happy Birthday Brooks 2.11.12
    BFP #3 on 11.14.12, M/C 12.3.12 @ 7W, 1D
    BFP #4 due 12.11.13- Happy Birthday Taylor @ 34w, 2d
    - 30w+1- pPROM and hospital bed rest till DD comes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Preemie ticker

image image
  • Best of luck with your baby! And try to stay away from Dr. Google. No good can come from it.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Welcome! I'm sorry you're dealing with this but this board is wonderful. My water broke at 34w and we spent 2 weeks in the nicu (I did have the steroid shots so no breathing issues. She had an infection, eating issues and Bradys). I know of a few 35 weekers that went home with mom so it's all going to depend on your LO. The one other thing I will mention is that the nicu team at my hospital came in and went over everything with us before we had her. It was way more helpful then google and put us at ease as much as possible. I suggest asking if you can do the same. Best of luck! :)
  • My baby was born at 35w 3d and I was also blown off about the steroid shots. I really second guessed it once my son had to be transferred to a bigger hospital and put on a vent. We spent 10 days in the nicu.
  • @Laurendag I'm so sorry this happened to you. They did tell me that after 34 weeks they don't give steroid shots, perhaps I need to get a second opinion? Although I'm not sure who I would get the second opinion from since my induction is tomorrow :( from what I gather it's too late for the shot at this point right?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Kelly_12Kelly_12 member
    edited November 2013
    Each shot takes 24 hrs to process.. There are two, so 48 hrs to get the full dose, however even one is better than none. If I were you I'd be asking for it. Just because you're being induced doesn't mean baby will come right away!
    They gave the shots to me and we just waited, hoping baby would stay put long enough for them to work..which he did luckily.
  • Welcome and I'm sorry you're joining us, although it is a really great board :)

Definitely ask about the shots! I got one, but they took LO an hour later so it was for nothing. She's a 30-weeker and were still on oxygen even though we're home. We were in the NICU for 66 days and got to come home five days before her due date.

Good luck with the induction, can't wait to hear about your LO!
  • My baby was born at 34 weeks and spent 13 days in the Nicu. She had no issues other than learning how to finish her bottles without going to sleep. It was hard, but having her home is such a joy and I'm glad they didn't send her home until she was 100% ready.
  • As others have said, even full term babies end up in the NICU. If you baby needs it, try to think of it as the best place for your child to gain a bit strength before going home. For the most part, the nurses are wonderful, constantly give updates and are super supportive. It doesn't sound like your child will have major complications, so stay positive!
  • Thank you everyone, you have been so reassuring, I will keep you updated as to the outcome, I think tonight I will concentrate on just getting him out instead of worrying about what will happen after.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Good luck tomorrow!! Sending you good vibes!

imageimage
  • Re: steroid shots, I was told they don't give them past 34w and I think this is pretty standard.

My boys are 34weekers and did get steroid shots at 32w. They spent 2weeks as feeders and growers in the NICU. As an aside, MH is a 35weeker (30+ years ago) and never had any long-term issues at all.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

• Re: steroid shots, I was told they don't give them past 34w and I think this is pretty standard. My boys are 34weekers and did get steroid shots at 32w. They spent 2weeks as feeders and growers in the NICU. As an aside, MH is a 35weeker (30+ years ago) and never had any long-term issues at all. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

This is the answer they are giving me as well - especially given how large he is measuring (I think I wrote above 6 lbs in my original post, I meant above 7 lbs), everybody sounds pretty optimistic but I don't think anybody can predict how it will go until they are delivered... It's so reassuring to hear stories like your husbands -
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My babe was born in July at 32w4d after PROM. I went in, was admitted (hopefully to stay on hospital bed rest until 34 weeks for her lungs), got steroid shots, and she was delivered less than 10 hours later, so the steroids didn't have time to make much of an impact. Fortunately, she was breathing on her own at birth and never needed oxygen. We spent a quick 72 hours in the NICU and then spent a few more weeks up on the general peds floor only to be monitored for bradycardia. She is perfectly healthy and has not required any medical intervention. She was 4 lb 7 oz at birth (45th percentile) and at her 3 mo visit, the Dr said you couldn't tell her apart from a full term baby.

Dr. Google will have you believe more horror stories than you need to know about right now! Sending best wishes and good vibes your way. Hang in there, mama, and I hope things work out well for you both!

Keep us updated!

• Re: steroid shots, I was told they don't give them past 34w and I think this is pretty standard. My boys are 34weekers and did get steroid shots at 32w. They spent 2weeks as feeders and growers in the NICU. As an aside, MH is a 35weeker (30+ years ago) and never had any long-term issues at all. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

This! I have a co-worker who is a former 32 week triplet (30 years ago) and they are all healthy and successful as a speech pathologist, dietician, and physician's assistant!

• WinterPumpkin T's & P's for your induction tomorrow. I hope everything goes smoothly and your LO is discharged with no NICU stay. Let us know how you're doing at some point!

jms1484 T's & P's for you as well! Keep that baby cooking as long as you can. Every day matters.  

Our LO arrived on June 28 at 31 weeks after a normal, healthy pregnancy. My water broke while sleeping so I was admitted to L&D on Wed. They were going to try and keep me for at least 3 more weeks so he'd be 34 weeks but LO's heart rate kept dropping due to no fluid around the umbilical cord. So on Friday about lunch time I had an emergency C-section. He was 3 lbs, 9 oz. He stayed 37 days in the NICU. We just went to the Dr yesterday for his Synagis shot and he's 13 lbs!!!! He's happy, healthy and growing like a bad weed. 

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • km0022km0022 member
    edited November 2013
    (Sorry I haven't read any of the comments so far but have limited time to comment.)
    Our DD was born at 35 weeks due to being very small and falling to the 3rd percentile our OB reassured us multiple times that we had the steroid shots and that he didn't see any need for a nicu stay.  After spending a few ours in the ICU after the csection, I came up to the maternity ward to find out that she was going to be sent to a NICU an hour and a half away for 2 weeks.  I was floored and we were not prepared.  

Even babies born at 40 weeks may need NICU time.  In your situation, I would recommend preparing yourself and your spouse for the NICU and if you don't need it, amazing!

But being prepared is far better than being unprepared.  

Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kvochka said:
    As others have said, even full term babies end up in the NICU. If you baby needs it, try to think of it as the best place for your child to gain a bit strength before going home. For the most part, the nurses are wonderful, constantly give updates and are super supportive. It doesn't sound like your child will have major complications, so stay positive!
    This exactly!  

Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"