Pre-School and Daycare

Anyone have experience using carseat on plane?

We are traveling by plane in May, and I think we'll use the kids' carseats on the plane as opposed to gate checking them.  This is a first for us, but I'm thinking it won't be that bad...similar to strapping it into the carseat with a lap belt.  We have a Britax Boulevard and Frontier (possibly two Frontiers by that point depending how fast DD shoots up).  Any experience?  Am I underestimating how difficult they will be to install on the plane?

Re: Anyone have experience using carseat on plane?

• Have you looked into the CARES harness? You can even rent them through Ebay.

Personally, I have enough stuff to carry btwn kids, backpacks and carry-ons to even consider a bulky car seat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We flew with our twins when they were a little over 2.5.  We used the car seat on the plane and in the rental car.  The car seat has an emblem on it that it's safe to use on a plane. 
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Loading the player...
  • We've always flown with our carseats. We use the gogo babyz travelmate thing so the carseat doubles as a stroller in the airport. DD gladly rides through the airport. DH does have to pick the carseat up over the plane seats to get down the aisle. Most of the time installation is pretty easy.
    imageimage
  • We've only been on two planes with DD...on the way out they made us gate check it I think because it wouldn't fit.  On the way home we tried to install it, which is when we discovered that the clip we needed to secure the seat belt had gotten lost.  So gate check again.  She rode in the seat with a regular belt, no problem.  She was just a little over two at the time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Carseat techs will tell you not to check your carseat bc you just don't know how the airline will handle it, not to mention it's way safer if your plane's in an accident. I've brought a Combi Coccoro on a plane and it was very easy to install, but then again it's a small seat. If you end up bringing your carseats on the plane I'd double check the dimensions of your seats to make sure they fit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If they are FAA approved they should fit, you just might need to lift the armrests.  Installation is pretty easy, you take the lap belt and thread it through, just like you would in a car and then tighten the belt.  You should not need a locking clip on the plane, the seat belts lock at the latchplate. 

• We just flew with our boulevard 70 this week.. No problems. The installation is easy, you install using the seat belt. It fit fine and she was able to sleep easily. I feel like it made her stay in place easier because the rules of the car/her car seat applied. They do have to be in a window seat.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We fly with our Boulevard 3-4 times a year, including last week. Takes maybe 5 minutes to install and fits even on the little puddle-jumper prop planes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"