C-sections

STM: Was c-section recovery easier or more difficult?

Hi there-- I'm expecting my 2nd the 1st week of May. It will be a scheduled c-section. I have a 2 year old son at home. How was your recovery the 2nd time around? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: STM: Was c-section recovery easier or more difficult?

• I didn't labor either time. My first was a distress situation so we went straight for c/s to get him out fast. He ended up in the NICU which was emotionally hard, but it definitely allowed me to heal faster. My second was by no means a "hard" recovery, but I would say that it was slower b/c 1. Baby was in the room with us- not NICU. 2. I had a 3 yr old who needed me and got VERY sick right after I came home from the hospital. Terrible timing! 3. I just kept over doing it. I was not as good at listening to my body and it really prolonged my recovery.

With #3, I'm planning to MAKE myself take it easy. I'm asking family and friends to step in when they see me trying to do too much. Planning for the older 2 to stay with family a good bit those first few weeks and also paying for daycare for 6 weeks even though I'm SAH for 6 mos with this one. Also doing a lot of crockpot and freezer meals ahead of time and paying for a cleaning service for 6 weeks so that I can really give myself plenty of rest time and focus on my healing and BF.

• I had my third 6 days ago and each time has gotten easier. My first baby was breech so I was scheduled but went into labor at 36 weeks. Went into labor again with number 2 before my scheduled date. This time I made it to my scheduled section. DH will be going back to work Thursday so that will be my real test. As of yesterday my cracked nipples from BFing are way more painful then my incision. My other kids are 6 and 3 so they are pretty independent and my newborn has been my easiest baby so all that helps. I'm just looking forward to being able to lay in my side again.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a vaginal birth with DS1, a scheduled c/s with my twins, a scheduled c/s with a surrogate baby (so I didn't have an additional new baby to care for). My c/s with the surrogate baby was much hard to recover from.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Soon2BMrsNSoon2BMrsN member
    edited November 2013
    Much easier. With ODS, I was in labor for 22 hours, including 3 hours of pushing, before I had the c/s. I was exhausted and ended up with a spinal headache that lasted for days and didn't allow me to keep any food down. With YDS, I had a scheduled RCS, no issues with the spinal, and besides a little nausea right after surgery, a much better recovery! Good luck!
  • My two previous were both scheduled. Zero issues with the first one. My 2nd one was more difficult. I felt nauseous on the operating table so the anesthesiologist gave me something for that, then in recovery I felt like my face was itchy (which the nurse said was a side effect of the anesthesia) so they gave me something for that...then she felt like I wasn't clotting well enough so she gave me something for that. I think as a result of all that being pumped into me I felt awful for a good 3 hours after the c/s. I felt nauseous, shaky & was sweating profusely. I also felt like my incision was much more sore for the first several days but I'm not sure whether it really was worse pain or just that the first time you're in this cloud of new-mother bliss & emotion. I'm desperately hoping #3 goes more like my first time!

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

• In a way the subsequent ones are easier, my third being the easiest.  The pain isn't any less, but in my experience it was more that I knew what to expect and also knew how to handle problems.

For example, my biggest problem has always been constipation.  With my second c/s, I took tons of  stool softeners, drank a lot of water / juice / tea and ate foods high in fiber and it did nothing.  Oh my the constipation was terrible.  However, once I had gone 3 days post c/s and no BM, I could see the writing on the wall and asked for a suppository.  I got relief within 30 minutes instead of waiting hours or days for other methods to work. 

• The second time was way easier, even with caring for two newborns and a two year old DS1.  I labored for 6 hours with DS1 and had an emergency c/s.  With the twins, I labored for 28 hours, pushed for 2, and elected to have a c/s due to exhaustion (my epi didn't work for the 28 hours of labour, and two attempts to turn Baby A). 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My C/S w. my 1st was a hell of a recovery, I could barely walk upright for 2-3 weeks and wasn't feeling 100% until 5 weeks out or so, It was an ER/CS due to gestational diabetes issues at 37 weeks. My 2nd C/S was planned at 39weeks & 3 days and was cake compared to the 1st! I was back to normal just a week & 1/2 after, I was able to resume daily housework and activities w. my kiddos. I'll be have my 3rd RCS in 3 weeks, fingers crossed it's another smooth recovery. 
  • It was much easier this time. I felt amazing.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Idani said: For me the recovery was night and day. I think a lot of that was I didn't labor before the surgery and I was realistic about it and knew what to expect. As my surgery was first thing in the morning I was able to get up at night to begin moving around. I was also able to shower first thing the next morning. I knew to listen to my body and not overdo it. Also as a STM you are more comfortable in general with the newborn and the process which I think helps. During the actual hospital stay I made sure to ask the nurses for help if needed and had my house set up (it's a 2 story) so I could do everything down stairs the first week or so of being home. all of this. Second time around was a breeze, no chaos. Pain? yes, but manageable and my attitude because I was not exhausted from laboring was marvelous! All my nurses loved me, because I was in a place that I could be that chipper.

imageimage

• 1A1A member
    My first wasn't scheduled and I pushed for 3 hours prior. I had a hard tine recovering. In retrospect i was also over doing it. My dh couldn't take time off and i was alone and doing too much.

Second one was scheduled and a breeze comparatively. I bled less. Still had pain but took less narcotics and more advil to manage the pain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My second one was harder. I labored before both sections (was attempting a VBAC). The first one was easier because I lived in a tiny 1st floor apartment vs a 3 story house and I didn't have a 17 month who needed to be cared for.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"