December 2011 Moms
Options

For those with the late talkers

How's it going? DS is starting to say more but he's definitely not doing full sentences yet. We're still doing the speech therapy once a week and think it's helping with giving me some feedback on things to try and nice to hear someone else say they are seeing a lot of improvements. I know he'll talk when he is ready and am still being told there is a WIDE range of normal for his age with talking so I'm not as concerned as I was before. I know he's trying and he's saying a lot more than he was before and he understands a ton, guess he'll talk when he's ready!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: For those with the late talkers

• Options
    My DS is definitely one for few words. We aren't terribly concerned because, as you said there is a very wide range of normal at this age. Our pedi agrees with that, as so we haven't yet gone for speech therapy but will re-evaluate when he goes for his two year appointment.

Beyond that, I feel like DS is gaining new words every day but he really only uses them when he wants to. He repeats words and phrases from his favorite books, and today when I was changing his cloth diaper he pointed to the clean one and said "yellow". He understands what people say to him, and like you I fully believe that he will talk when he's ready!
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Alex has 6 words and does not use them all every day. He makes lots of sounds and funny noises though and tries out new things. His receptive language is amazing! He can correctly point out all letters, numbers, shapes and colors...he just won't say anything. So we know that he understands, but is still quite a bit behind in expressive language. We will wait until he is 2 1/2 to consider speech therapy at all, no matter what our pedi suggests at our 2 year well check. 
    I was a late talker (started to say words at about 2 1/4) and he is growing up bilingual, so we want to give him some extra time. 
    I am glad to hear that your DS is making progress! What does the speech therapist do with him? 
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ricola said:
    Alex has 6 words and does not use them all every day. He makes lots of sounds and funny noises though and tries out new things. His receptive language is amazing! He can correctly point out all letters, numbers, shapes and colors...he just won't say anything. So we know that he understands, but is still quite a bit behind in expressive language. We will wait until he is 2 1/2 to consider speech therapy at all, no matter what our pedi suggests at our 2 year well check. 
    I was a late talker (started to say words at about 2 1/4) and he is growing up bilingual, so we want to give him some extra time. 
    I am glad to hear that your DS is making progress! What does the speech therapist do with him? 
    That's amazing he knows all of that already, very cool! My ped. didn't suggest the speech therapy I did it on my own since everyone was saying how much their kids were saying already.  He also stays home with me all day so I feel like he doesn't have to say as much since I always know what he wants. The speech therapist basically just plays with him and talks to him and watches his reaction with things. It's only an hour so by the time he warms up they leave which sucks but I tell them what he's been doing and try their suggestions. One game that we've been doing is getting pillows and putting them on a row on the floor and getting a melissa and doug puzzle and putting the board on one side and the pieces on the other. I hold his hand and he walks over the pillows and he picks up a piece and i tell him what animal it is then we walk back over the pillows and he finds where it goes on the board. We keep doing it till he's done, I guess this is working both his gross and fine motor skills. We know he loves gross motor since he is a very active boy but we're trying to wake him up to use the fine motor skills. 
    I agree what you said about bilingual, I'm sure that's more tough on a kid but on the bright side he will know both which will be really neat for him as he gets older :) I was a late talker too and both my husband and I are pretty shy so I'm not too surprised. My husband is still a man of very FEW words!

• Options
    DS doesn't talk, he is still working on the mmmm sound and does that a lot. Kids that have feeding difficulty usually have speech delay so I'm not worried any more about that than anything else we have going on. I think about the staying home thing too though. I feel like we should do more play dates so he can see that other kids talk.
  • Options
    DS didn't have many words at 18 months old but he has been doing much better overall lately. I believe they want to see 50 words at 2 yrs old and he is at about 40-45 words with a little over a month until 2. He is shy though and mostly says them just at home. When we are out with family or friends, he doesn't say much. He is beginning to open up at daycare some. He definitely does not talk in sentences or phrases.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I don't consider E a late talker, but he certainly doesn't talk up a storm.  He will sometimes say phrases like 'oh wow' and 'look at that'.  And he has a few other words - he usually says a word then we don't hear it for a long time, which makes us wonder if we heard him correctly or if we're being liberal with our toddler translating. 

FWIW, my sister is a pedi and my nephew is 10 weeks older than E.  I use him as a good guide as for what is 'normal' in this age range.  I'm not considered and neither is our pedi.

Interesting that most of us commenting here have boys, I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that boys are usually later to talk.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DS has 8 words. His only phrase is 'hi sissy'. He can follow step by step directions and can point to things he wants, he just doesn't talk. We started speech therapy twice a month after his 18mo appointment when he only had 1 word then.
  • Options
    DS is more babble than anything but it's starting to get to the point you can make out what those babble words are...  IMO, if he was only crying to communicate, that'd be one thing, but I imagine in time instead of getting him to talk it'll be "would you BE QUIET ALREADY!" so I'm just leaving things be right now...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DS is a late bloomer too but he completely understands and can follow directions, so I'm not really worried.  He has been expanding his language a lot more lately and yesterday I got "all done momma", which was the first time he had put 3 words together so I was excited! 

Very interesting on the boys vs. girls thing.  I have heard boys and 2nd kids are late talkers too. 

• Options
    Kelly1109 said:

DS is a late bloomer too but he completely understands and can follow directions, so I'm not really worried.  He has been expanding his language a lot more lately and yesterday I got "all done momma", which was the first time he had put 3 words together so I was excited! 

Very interesting on the boys vs. girls thing.  I have heard boys and 2nd kids are late talkers too. 

That's funny, Beckham just started saying "all done" too and "thank you" That's pretty much all I have right now for two word phrases but we were playing with the bead maze and he copied me with "up" and "down" so that was pretty cool. I'm not surprised boys are later, look how they are when they are adults, we still talk way more :) DH comes home from work and I talk his ear off and he says "yes" or 3 word sentences, pretty funny how things don't change!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"