Third-Party Reproduction
Options

What is the protocol? Sorry long

Hi ladies,

I am 36, married. We have to use donor sperm because husband has azoo. All my blood tests and ultrasound came back normal. I ovulate on my won.
My fist IUI was in August. So far I did 3 natural IUI's using OPK.  We have one vial left and I want to do the ultrasound and E2 blood test before doing trigger to time the IUI better. 
I live in the Caribbean and have to travel to the US for each IUI. My RE send me an email last night basically telling me that I should do back to back IUI to have better chance getting BFP, he also told me to get a laparoscopy done for endometriosis ( I have no endometriosis symptoms) if I do not get pregnant after 6 IUI's . He also wants me to consider ovulation induction with injectable therapy

We pay everything out of pocket, I am willing to consider his suggestions but I would think that talking about other options after just 3 failed IUI's is a little early. Am I wrong and overreacting? I would say lets see what happens after the 4th IUI and maybe than start talking other options.

A friend of mine got her first baby naturally ( no IUI or meds)when she was 38. It took her 8 months. She was a smoker and was overweight. 
What bothers me is that, because I am doing IUI with donor sperm, my age is 36 and I had 3 failed IUI's, something must be wrong with me and I should do more tests and so on. I have a healthy life style, I know my body well and I can tell that nothing is wrong with me. 

I also disagree that women in their 30's have fertility issues if they do not conceive within 6 months of trying. 

So my question to you ladies, after how many IUI's did your RE tell you to change the protocol? What did you do different after the first 3 failed IUI's? Would you do IVF instead of IUI?

I appreciate all your replies.

Re: What is the protocol? Sorry long

• Options
    Jalara48, thanks for your honest reply. I like when people are straight forward. 

You had some good point and I will think about what you said. To answer your question:

I did have HSG done before my first IUI. Tubes are clear. All my blood work is normal.
    I still disagree that the back to back IUI is more successful than just one well timed IUI, but that is my opinion.

You made a good point about endometriosis, I do not know why my RE would recommend doing laparoscopy. I will def. ask him about that.

As for me saying that I know my body and know that nothing is wrong with me, I just know.
    Call it a gut feeling. I cannot explain it. 

Again, thanks for taking the time and replying. 
  • Options
    liz4pawsliz4paws member
    edited November 2013
    I wish you the very very best and I hope that your feeling is right.

But three years ago I felt like nothing could possibly be wrong with me when my husband was diagnosed with MFI. I ovulated on my own and my cycles were like clockwork. I even had my well meaning primary physician and OB/Gyn say that they thought I'd have no trouble.

Turns out after seeing an RE I had severe diminished ovarian reserve and was basically in premature menopause. 

My intuition was wrong and while it was immensely difficult to face the facts (which 110% point to a correct diagnosis) I am glad I learned of it early than spinning my wheels on treatments that never would have helped me to begin with.

Information is power, even if it's really scary sometimes. You have to be willing to open doors to truly move forward, no matter how scary it might be.

Good luck, I really hope your gut feeling is right though! Mine was wrong.
    ETA: My HSG showed clear tubes and my basic bloodwork was normal. Only when my RE ran specific bloodwork did we uncover my DOR.

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Liz4paws,  I am sorry to hear about your DOR. 

When I had my initial consultation with me RE we did all the necessary tests. He also checked my ovarian reserve and told me that I have a lot of good looking eggs. I understand that it does not say anything about the quality of my eggs, but he did not have any concerns after all my test results came back. 

• Options
    Hello there and welcome. So terribly sorry you have to go through this process but this board is so helpful and supportive so you picked a good spot.

I did 3 rounds of IUI with donor sperm and each time I did back to back IUI cycles each month. My doc suggested a max of 4 cycles before switching gears.

I'm 31 average weight, very healthy and very fertile and I had no luck with IUI. It's my understanding that the odds with IUI are only 20% each month, which is roughly the odds from natural conception. So basically I think each person is different with random results each time. If you feel good about continuing IUI then I say keep going but if your doc is suggesting something different, you should seriously consider it...but listen to your body at the same time. I hope you find your answer and I'll be sending positive thoughts your way!!!
  • Options
    I had 5 unsuccessful IUI's.  2 were natural, the rest were medicated with clomid and ovidrel trigger and monitored with ultrasounds... and still nothing.

I had one ivf cycle and it was successful, now I had an FET and it was successful. 

With donor sperm, sometimes the counts aren't optimum, and the chances of pregnancy are just too low. 

If you have the means, just go straight to IVF and stop torturing yourself doing these IUIs.  It gets expensive, especially with the price of sperm on top of it.  

In the long run IVF might be more cost effective.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options

I agree with strudle82 --- perhaps consider a 2nd opinion?  You need to trust your doctor.  He/She have a lot of experience with these situations. 

One question for you - why are you opposed to the back to back IUI?  It certainly can't hurt and the cost difference in doing that vs. stims/ivf is much cheaper.  While I agree having 1 well timed IUI is preferred however as patients we have to remember that fertility is not an exact science.  It is an art form!

I am sorry you are struggling with this.  I hope your next procedure is successful!

Me:37 (DOR), DH: 40 (Normal) TTC #1 since Fall 2010
    2010-2012 - 7 rounds of Clomid, 4 IUI & 2 IVF - all BFN (2 chemical pregnancies)
    April 2013 fresh DEgg - 15R, 4F, 2 transferred = BFN.  
    FET - 11/13
    Beta #1 11/23 = 247; Beta #2 11/25 = 538; Beta #3 11/29 = 5481 BFP!!!!!
    U/s #1 12/7 & U/s #2 12/16 = One perfect little heart beat!! 
    EDD = 8/1/14

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options
    Ladyrader0227, We have only one vial left, so back to back IUI is for now not an option. We might even have to look for a new donor, since the current donor is out of stock:(

Looking back at my post, I must say that I have overreacted to the email. 

My RE knows what he is talking about and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get it done right. 
  • Options
    Sorry your donor is out if stock :-( hopefully you won't need another. Have a great weekend!

Me:37 (DOR), DH: 40 (Normal) TTC #1 since Fall 2010
    2010-2012 - 7 rounds of Clomid, 4 IUI & 2 IVF - all BFN (2 chemical pregnancies)
    April 2013 fresh DEgg - 15R, 4F, 2 transferred = BFN.  
    FET - 11/13
    Beta #1 11/23 = 247; Beta #2 11/25 = 538; Beta #3 11/29 = 5481 BFP!!!!!
    U/s #1 12/7 & U/s #2 12/16 = One perfect little heart beat!! 
    EDD = 8/1/14

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options
    Thanks ladyrader0227, you too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"