Pennsylvania Babies
Options

midwives/birth center in carlise/mechanicsburg area

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good midwife in the Cumberland county area?  I had my son at a birth center in Philadelphia and loved the out of hospital/natural experience.  I know that there aren't any actual birth centers in this area, but has anyone found a hospital that provides something similar (without all of the interventions, etc?)  Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Re: midwives/birth center in carlise/mechanicsburg area

• Options
    Try contacting some of the different health centers in the area. I go to Partners in Women's Healthcare. They are very understanding to your wants and needs. They also have a bunch of different doctors and midwives.You can pick who you want on your "team" too. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm not sure if their what you'd be looking for. I know Holy Spirit Hospital is the more conservative hospital when it comes to epidurals and such.

• Options
    Thanks so much!  I'm going to look them up today!
    Also, a question.  When you say Holy Spirit is more conservative, do you mean they are more likely to do epidurals or they are more likely to encourage a natural birth?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not sure exactly where you are at so I think this may be a drive, but I just had my second with OB/GYN of Lancaster at Heart of Lancaster hospital in Lititz. It is a ob/midwife group, but the midwives pretty much manage your labor. They were wonderful! I was trying for a VBAC and they gave me every opportunity and were so supportive the whole way through! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited December 2013
    I wish we had a birth center in the area!!! I got to Center for Women's health which I delivered my son and this new baby at Holy Spirit hospital. Their midwifes there are fantastic! They are more evidence based and they respected all of my birth wishes for a natural birth. They are very evidence based with newborn care as well. We had a fantastic above and beyond care we where expecting with DS's birth. With the midwife sitting and coaching me through contractions for 6 hours. We entertained the idea of having a home birth with this baby, however since we had such a great experience at Holy Spirit we are going back. I have nothing but great words for them.  Are you considering a home birth? I have a list of local midwifes in the area that practice home birth, but there is very few of them sadly.

Side note to Center for Women's health is that they do not prescribe birth control... and are a Catholic hospital. When we where there we never once was pressured to talk about religion or anything. They asked if we wish for a nun to come visit us and we did... and she was super sweet. Asked about how breastfeeding was going and how I was feeling. No pressure on religion or anything.
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Options
    NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited December 2013
    kc1194 said:
    Thanks so much!  I'm going to look them up today!
    Also, a question.  When you say Holy Spirit is more conservative, do you mean they are more likely to do epidurals or they are more likely to encourage a natural birth?
    Holy Spirit is more natural friendly hospital in the area base off of the research I've found. However, I never delivered at Carlisle or Harrisburg. Holy Spirit practice more evidence based...
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Options
    We're delivering at Harrisburg hospital. They have mad a number of changes in the last year or so and are really taking a more holistic approach now. Newer birthing center, tubs in labor & delivery, skin to skin 1st 4 hours, delayed cord clamping and babies are roomed in. We also have a doula that will be with us. Ant recommend Myrriah with Peaceful Birth Haven enough. I believe she is based in Mechanicsburg. Another huge resource for us has been Om Baby center in Camp hill. Tons of classes and lots of networking to help you find the services you need. We're at just over 37 weeks and starting to get anxious but our providers have really taken care of us which helps a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This is great info!  I want to check out Om Baby in Camp Hill and see what kinds of resources they have.  I just found out that I'm pregnant with our second child, so now I really need to bump up my research!  I went for a regular gyn visit at Carlisle Women's Health and the midwife was very nice, but I've heard that they still require iv's and constant fetal monitoring.  I'd really like to be free to labor without all of that!  I'll definitely look into everything you have mentioned.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    I just got information for a doula if you're interested. She works with Om Baby in Camp Hill.

• Options
    Yes, I'd definitely be interested in doula information!  Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"