Baby Names
Options

Which do you prefer?

MaryBB77MaryBB77 member
edited November 2013 in Baby Names
These are 2 of our fav Irish girls names (but living in the states we'd have to alter the spellings.) which one do you prefer?

Which do you prefer? 50 votes

Aiveen
52% 26 votes
Aivlinn
48% 24 votes

Re: Which do you prefer?

• Options
    I agree with above, are you Irish Irish (not far back generation) if so I totally support the Irish name but spell it as is normal Irish because honestly even with these spellings you'll have to tell people how to pronounce so at least use normal and get the heritage with it.

Obviously not being Irish and not knowing these names I'm not a fan.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No vote. They're both awful.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I couldn't bring myself to vote for either.

Please just use the actual spellings and OWN them.  IF they're the names MJ said they were, I LOVE those.   No matter how you spell them, people will need to be corrected on both spelling and pronunciation, so just use the original spellings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback. The original spellings are Aoibheann & Aibhilin (bh makes a V sound in Gaelic)
    I really like both names but honestly don't think I could put DD thru those spellings in the US. (FWIW I'm also not a fan of changing original spellings)
    I really do want to use Irish names being from Ireland, but unfortuanly I don't LOVE the more common ones as I do these two!
    Back to the drawing board!
  • Options
    I vote  Aibhlinn!

I know several IRL in the US

• Options
    Can you confirm how the names are pronounced? I'm unfamiliar with them.
  • Options
    MaryBB77 said:
    Thank you for the feedback. The original spellings are Aoibheann & Aibhilin (bh makes a V sound in Gaelic) I really like both names but honestly don't think I could put DD thru those spellings in the US. (FWIW I'm also not a fan of changing original spellings) I really do want to use Irish names being from Ireland, but unfortuanly I don't LOVE the more common ones as I do these two! Back to the drawing board!
    I like the sound of Aibhilin (thanks for the tip on bh being V). I think you could MN it and it'd be perfect as nod to heritage but less burden for your child spelling/pronouncing!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I actually really like Aivlinn, and usually I'm up for not changing spellings either, but I really like the way this sounds and I don't think people would have a hard time pronouncing it, or too hard a time spelling. But the MN idea is good too.
    Third Tri Feelings:
    imageBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Neither, I'm sorry!
  • Options
    Neither!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I met a Aoife in the children I nannies swim class, first time seeing the name, but liked it a lot !
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"