March 2012 Moms
Options

How much iPad time do you allow?

Hey mamas! My 19-month-old is infatuated with the iPad. We've got a lot of educational apps on there, but it's pretty much the only "toy" she wants and I'm not sure how much time to allow her each day. Thoughts? She doesn't watch much TV at all, but I count the iPad as "TV time" because some of the apps just play videos.

Re: How much iPad time do you allow?

• Options
    Don't have one .. but he's a TV freak for certain shows.. the rest of the time he barely pays attention to the TV.  He's learning a lot of stuff  from the TV and non TV activities so I'm not worried ...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD was so obsessed with the iPad and our phones that we started hiding them to minimize the meltdowns. Now we have them out and she knows it is mommy and daddy's and not for her.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't have an ipad. DS does watch some TV but we spend most of our time doing other activities. He might get an hour of TV in most days. As for the computer...I might show him something like a picture that would interest him but beyond that he doesn't use it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We don't have an iPad, but I limit DS' screen time.  He loses interest pretty quickly, so he'll watch maybe 10 min at most, usually less, before he's on to something else.  The only exception is football.. for some reason he LOVES it!  His computer "use" is pretty limited too.  I show him pictures on FB of DH's family because they live 2500 miles away, so he knows who they are.  And he's obsessed with the Muppets Mahna Mahna, so I show him that sometimes too.. but not too much or I'd lose my mind lol!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    DS is not allowed to play with our iPad or phones.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    KrsCrp83 said:
    We don't have an iPad, but I limit DS' screen time.  He loses interest pretty quickly, so he'll watch maybe 10 min at most, usually less, before he's on to something else.  The only exception is football.. for some reason he LOVES it!  His computer "use" is pretty limited too.  I show him pictures on FB of DH's family because they live 2500 miles away, so he knows who they are.  And he's obsessed with the Muppets Mahna Mahna, so I show him that sometimes too.. but not too much or I'd lose my mind lol!
    Haha thats hilarious... that muppet song was the only thing that stopped the lil guy having a melt down when he was really little. I have been known to walk around Walmart singing that loudly and shaking my head around.. like a muppet.. yeah well you do what you gotta.  Many a sore throat has been had keeping the lil guy amused in the car.  He used to absolutely hate Walmart with a vengeance ..more than 5 minutes and all hell used to break loose
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:
    DS gets to watch 20-30 min of Curious George on my Kindle each night before bed. It's his wind down time and I get to snuggle with him at the same time. He usually drinks milk and just relaxes. I'm very lax about TV in general and we have ours on all the time when we are home but DS really only cares about watching George on my Kindle.
    George has turned into the best soother, boo boo healer and overall entertainer that any kid could ever ask for according to Alexander. He fell and bumped his head the other day and nothing could calm him down (he was just upset, it wasn't that bad). I asked him, "Do you want to watch George?" Tears immediately dried up. "George! George!" George makes everything better. He also calls the Man in the Yellow Hat "Daddy," because he actually does look just like my husband without his glasses. It's pretty adorable.

• Options
    We don't have an iPad and I only let him play with phone for a couple of minutes if I really need to distract him. We sometimes look at pictures together. I might let him watch 10 min of tv a day.
  • Options
    I really don't limit either to a specific time frame. He learns so much from some of the educational apps and programs and it can be a great change of pace or way to get him chilled out if he's tired. He's far too busy throughout the day for me to worry about him spending too much time in front of a screen.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We don't have an iPad and I rarely let her use my phone and if we do something on the laptop, I push the buttons. But that is rare.

TV is the big one here. She is also a huge George fan. It's how I get a shower some days and make dinner if DH isn't home to entertain DD.  The TV is on most the day here as I enjoy TV but DD doesn't look at it much unless it is a kid show. If she is having a lazy day and watching it a lot, I turn it off and listen to an audiobook.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Options

No more than like 15 mins. But I swear DS would sit for HOURS if we let him. He is in LOVE with a dumb bowling game. I've noticed with DS that he will TUNE out if I let him. He cries all the time for TV (mickey Mouse). I dont let him watch tv, but DAD always puts it on for him. Thank goodness my DH travels for work so I can limit the tv. Honeslty that is our big fight. I dont like the tv babysitting him and DH just want to give DS anything he wants.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    We took LO to the Curious George Exhibit at a local Museum
  • Options
    WipzWipz member
    edited November 2013
    Nicb13 said:
    Wipz said:
    We took LO to the Curious George Exhibit at a local Museum

What an awesome exhibit! DS would go crazy!

Check your local museum it may be happening at more than one at a time... I am a member at another museum and just happened to check this one because it has a reciprocal program.  A lot of the museums have special areas for the under 5's which is cool...water tables, sand tables and areas to learn to climb stairs and other skills.. as well as reptile tanks and crafting sessions etc.

check this link it shows where it is and where it will be going, it's not a permanent exhibit.

https://www.mcm.org/about-the-museum/exhibit-rentals/curious-george/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"