June 2013 Moms
Options

MIL visit

My mil is visiting tomorrow for a few days. She's about 54 and had 4 kids ranging from 15-33. She only started working about 4 years ago after getting divorced. She sews anything, cooks up a storm, loves to iron my husbands shirts still, etc. My dh told me she and her mother use to buy like half a cow and cut it up and freeze it. They live in the country in Australia.

I lived my whole life in or just outside of NYC. I have two degrees, got married at 38, had a high power job etc. So you can see we are direct opposites.

I'm amazed at all the things she does as I never even took a home economics class! However I am always getting the side eye constantly from her. Her comments can be grating as they are very passive aggressive about cooking, baby care, etc.

No real point to this post. I just have anxiety about her visit and know she will be looking my home, laundry, baby and I up and down.

Wish me luck.

Re: MIL visit

• Options
    Good Luck!

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Eek! Good luck. Maybe she'll do a lot and let you relax some. :)

This. When I first saw your post title, my tummy dropped for you. Then I read about her and thought how nice it would be if my MIL did all that. I get a little side eye with no sewing, cooking, or ironing ;-) Maybe she will be so infatuated with the baby that she will slack off on her judgy ways. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I love all you ladies!
  • Options
    My mil is very much the same!! I try to use our different strengths as much as possible. For example I will ask her how to get a stain out of something or how to cook a particular dish. She now comes to me for some marketing ideas for her small business and some basic social media help.

Maybe try to use her skills to your advantage. Oh and drink lots of wine!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good luck! *creepy internet hug*

imageimageimage

• Options
    Good luck!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Good luck!

• Options
    Good luck! Tell us stories after she leaves!

• Options
    Don't look at yourself as opposites. Now as a mom you have more in common. Good luck!
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kill them with kindness. Just because she is that way doesn't mean you have to let it bother you... And vent to us if you need an outlet so you don't stay frustrated. Good luck!
  • Options
    kdc2007 said:

Good luck! We are visiting my MIL this weekend so I feel your pain. ;)

Good luck to you too!!!

• Options
    If she gets judgy just smile and say, " well you are so good at cleaning/cooking/butchering, I save it all for when you are here." Then make her clean the entire house while you relax w your little one! Good luck!
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"