Options

UO

124»

Re: UO

• Options
    sisterjanetsisterjanet member
    edited November 2013
    pandadair said:
    But what if another Christian person thinks it's treating someone like crap to force them to carry a pregnancy that resulted from incest or rape? Who decides which view is un-crappy enough to be acceptably "Christian"?
    I think the issue is that there are so very many denominations.  There are at least two kinds of Catholic, and I have no idea how many kinds of Protestant there are (for example I'm a Lutheran but there are something like five or seven different kinds of Lutheran these days), and then there are the nondenominational, and I'm not sure if that's all one thing or if there are different kinds of nondenominational too.  Everybody has at least slightly different beliefs that they felt so strongly about that they couldn't play anymore with the people who didn't agree.  Thus, you get a lot of "but no true Christian would ever X, because everyone knows they should Y." 

...and it just occurred to me that your questions were maybe rhetorical.  I'm posting anyway in case they're not.
  • Options
    This may be super crazy to say, especially as I am naive and have never been in such a situation as rape so forgive me if I am coming off the wrong way but, I think if I were I would be MORE motivated to keep the baby. Not saying everyone should be, but I am someone who has always seen blessings from pain and I would absolutely want something good to come from such a dark situation.
    But, who am I to say. I thought it would be a UO though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RedInLove said:
    So, why do you get to tell me what my choices are? That would be me not having a choice, as you have removed the choice of abortion. I don't know you from the hoe on the street corner. Remind me where that makes you qualified to dictate what my choices are and aren't?

Giving birth to a baby is just as much a choice as adoption, just as much a choice as termination. It's a different choice, not a lack of choice. You choose what's best for you and I'll stay out of your life, while I choose what's best for me and you'll stay out of my life. Mmkay?
    That right there is pretty much the whole reason I think abortion should be legal.  I don't like that abortion happens, and I believe life begins at conception (a blastocyst is not pretty, but it will become a human), but nevertheless I feel like there should be at least some cases always where abortion is an option.  If it's an option only some of the time, that seems like it might get seriously grotesque as an unintended consequence of someone else being the arbiter of what counts as a good enough reason.  Let it rest with the woman who is in the situation, and leave her alone about it except to help her. 
  • Options
    candrew05 said:
    This may be super crazy to say, especially as I am naive and have never been in such a situation as rape so forgive me if I am coming off the wrong way but, I think if I were I would be MORE motivated to keep the baby. Not saying everyone should be, but I am someone who has always seen blessings from pain and I would absolutely want something good to come from such a dark situation. But, who am I to say. I thought it would be a UO though.
    Luckily never been in that situation either, but I read a book about the children of rape. It's very common that the children become constant reminders to the mothers of the rape/rapist. They often resent them and everything they represent (according to what I read). Very sad all around. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ok so I'm pro-choice ...
    At 18 I had an abortion. I was not ready ,birth control failed and yes I discussed it with the guy and my mother to make the decision ( still to this day at 43years old one of the hardest I've EVER made). It was painful physically and mentally and I believe I made the right decision for me at that point in my life .... I do not believe I could do it again in fact most people on my life don't know about it and yes I feel ashamed and guilty about it ( that is the stigma attached to abortion ) ... But I still believe that it is a woman's right to choose what happens to her body .... Weather it be an abortion, or keeping it or yes even prostitution....
    Pregnancy Ticker
    photo 60020120725ELE036.jpgphoto IMG_18642013130584_zps06545ab5.jpg
  • Options
    @candrew05

This American Life or NPR recently did a piece about women who have their rapist's babies. The results were pretty mixed. One that stuck with me was one woman hated the sound of her child's laughter, because the man who raped her had the same laughter & laughed while he was attacking her. Ugggghghhhhhhh all the shudders. But another woman said something like "I have this precious gift that he doesn't even know about" and it made her feel happy & like she had taken something back from him. I personally would not do it but it was an interesting show.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    IBackBevoIBackBevo member
    edited November 2013
    Geez. I hope no one reading this thread is a child of rape or incest.

Edit: Or dometic violence.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    ykristos said:

candrew05 said:

This may be super crazy to say, especially as I am naive and have never been in such a situation as rape so forgive me if I am coming off the wrong way but, I think if I were I would be MORE motivated to keep the baby. Not saying everyone should be, but I am someone who has always seen blessings from pain and I would absolutely want something good to come from such a dark situation.
    But, who am I to say. I thought it would be a UO though.

Rape is about control and power. If abortion were to be illegal, not only would a rape survivor have been deeply traumatized and impregnated against her will by an individual, she would then be traumatized and forced against her will to be a mother by the government. So, women would be shown through the dis-empowering act of rape that she cannot control how her body is used,and limiting access to abortion would act to reinforce that. That's leaving women in a pretty powerless cycle, don't you think? 

Oh I definitely didn't mean to imply I am not pro choice (I have previous comments on here stating otherwise) but I just felt like everyone was saying "abortion is not ok unless you've been raped" I was just stating how I THiNk I would feel if I were in that situation, not saying no one should have a choice, not at all!

• Options

candrew05 said:

This just came to mind as my sister just got back from hunting...

Squirrel in Caesar Salad is very tasty!!

I feel like such a hick saying that but I'm sure it's a UO!

DH has been trying to get me to eat squirrel. I just can't do it. Maybe if I weren't pregnant (or further along when I start eating weird shit) but I just can't. However dear meat and noodles is fan-fucking-tastic and I love it! I prefer dear meat over beef for most dishes!

Caribou guys, amaaaaaaaazing in a fondue! Hmmmmm!! I had a few pieces of Nikkuk (caribou jerky) today!! Yum!

We don't have caribou here in Ohio. I have tried kangaroo once and it wasn't half bad! I typically don't mind trying new meats but squirrel is one I just can't help but think it will be gross.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options

candrew05 said:

This just came to mind as my sister just got back from hunting...

Squirrel in Caesar Salad is very tasty!!

I feel like such a hick saying that but I'm sure it's a UO!

DH has been trying to get me to eat squirrel. I just can't do it. Maybe if I weren't pregnant (or further along when I start eating weird shit) but I just can't. However dear meat and noodles is fan-fucking-tastic and I love it! I prefer dear meat over beef for most dishes!

Caribou guys, amaaaaaaaazing in a fondue! Hmmmmm!! I had a few pieces of Nikkuk (caribou jerky) today!! Yum!

Is it anything like moose??
  • Options
    pandadair said:

Wheee, I'm jumping back on here because I just got off the phone with my sister. Apparently her best (meaning worst) case to come across while working for CPS was a 13-year-old mentally retarded girl who was raped repeatedly by her step-father and became pregnant. Her mental abilities were such that she couldn't even really comprehend what pregnancy and childbirth meant. Y'all pro-life-in-all-instances peeps really that cool with a barely pubescent, mentally retarded, rape/incest survivor being forced to carry a pregnancy that she's not mentally mature enough to even understand? I can't even with how many levels of violation were going on in that situation.

What a downer of a UO day. I need some Taco Bell.

That is so sad on so many levels. I hope that the poor girl is able to be removed from her predator's reach and can heal. I could never work in that field, I would murder someone.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    ykristos said:

Empireceo said:

I expect to get torched to the inner circles of hell for this, but whatever:

I realized this week I have more respect for the people who are anti-choice for any/all circumstances.  I vehemently disagree with your opinion, but I can appreciate the consistency.

This is in contrast to the people who are "pro-life, except in cases of _____ (insert justification here)."  Because all I hear is "abortion is not so bad it should never happen, it should only happen under circumstances I judge to be worthy."  And that seems pretty assy.

Edited for punctuation

I actually totally agree that one is either pro-choice or not. In that same vein, I hate when people say "abortion should not be used as birth control." Well, actually, that's precisely what it is, isn't it? Someone is controlling whether or not they are going to give birth. Anyway, for people who have never been through it yet claim they are pro-choice, there is a ton of sanctimonious judgment-- my friends who have had to go through it? The majority of them were using birth control with perfect usage. They had varying circumstances/reasons for their decisions, but you know? It doesn't matter. It was their choice. 

Edit: formatting. 

Ha! Now that you mention it birth control should definitely be named pregnancy control.
    imageimage

Beautiful Baby Jackson born 8/25/2010
    Met the LOML 11/05/2011
    Expecting the LO 5/15/2014
    Getting Married 10/19/2014

• Options

@Pandadair I had Taco Bell today....it was fantastic :)

As for this UO thread.....geez. This thing is HEAVY.....seriously!

I come from the family that is "Christian" but I have had first hand experience that they are only really Christian when it is easy. That said, I believe in things.....not just when they are convenient for me, but all the time. Some of these things are religious, some aren't.

I don't care who agrees/disagrees with me. I also don't care enough about anyone else's beliefs to agree/disagree with them.

I am pro-choice across the board. I don't know why this term is taken to only be applied to abortion. I think we should all get to make our own personal decisions. Smoke, drink, do drugs, have abortions, have religion, or don't. The thing is, it is no one's business.

If government bans abortion, what is to stop them from banning whatever the hell else they want to? It is not their job to be aligned with a  religion.....it is their job to protect our rights. I hate all of the little crosses in the Church entrances I see. Yes, some people abort their babies......many more kill themselves by eating junk food, leading to obesity, leading to death. I don't see any bills out there to ban junk food. I bet people would feel all kinds of violated.

That said, I can't imagine aborting a baby that was just accidental. I got pregnant at 18, had the baby, and loved him. It was hard, but I took responsibility. That doesn't mean that I think every single teenager should....it simply means that I will make my choice and you can make yours. A ban would be a mistake.....a big, huge mistake that would simply lead to losing other freedoms. No one wants that, so be careful what you wish for.

P.S. If anyone so much as mentions banning cupcakes, I will find you and kick your ass ;)

• Options
    I consider myself an American libertarian. I find that it is somewhat discouraged to identify with that as if it's a scary label because it's different.

Libertarian values are among the primary sentiments that the US was founded upon and I would like to see some real hope and change being enacted.

Specifically my UO is that I hate when people say the tea party represents a racist movement. It's just not true and has absolutely nothing to do with race. I believe the media and liberal talking heads made this up to scare people. (I also hate the fear mongering that both sides participate in).

imageimage

• Options
    JKBMA2014 said:

JKBMA2014 said:

Idk if this is a proper UO but I need to let this out. It reallyyyyyyy annoys me when woman say things like "I just have to accept that I'm noticeably pregnant" at 8 weeks with their first baby. I know A LOT of girls who talk about how people were staring at the belly at the mall at 6 weeks. I'm half way done with my 11th week and my tummy is still pretty flat. How do you look 16 weeks at 6? -_-

I agree. I look like I have gained a few pounds. At the end of the day and depending on my BM and what I ate I may look bigger but generally I just look like I gained a little weight. My pants don't fit but I am a pretty thin person and 5 pounds makes a world of difference. I don't look pregnant though.

I know someone who looks 20 weeks and is on the same week as me... I'm like-what's wrong with this picture? Sometimes I just want to say "you're in for a rude awakening when that bloat goes down" but I'm not one to rain on someone's parade. A few weeks ago someone mentions something about how her stomach is rounding out and looking more like a baby. She is six weeks. I went mad!

I tease my DF all the time about mine bc it is seriously there one min and gone the next. Or at least a few hours later. He calls my blump a food baby. Lol I wish mine was a bump and all cute so I could wear cute tops instead of baggy ones. O well that time will come!

*BFP- Sept 2013*

*Ryder due June 1,2014*

BabyFetus Ticker

*Love of my Life*

image image

<3<3<3<3

• Options

My UOis that welfare should be more like a rehabilitation program rather than something to supplement someone's life for x amount of years. From my personal experience getting KU as a 21 year old college student and doing it on my own, I would have not made it without government help at first. I found income based housing, had Medicaid and foodstamps. HOWEVER, I went to school full time and was an overnight baby sitter for a nurse on the weekends. Once my son was born I used child care assistance and went out and GOT A JOB. A good one, and still went to school full time. My good job made me ineligible for food stamps and raised my rent, oh well! I was HAPPY to be raising my son on my own and being able to provide for him! These programs are to help you out until you get on your feet. Instead people use it as an excuse to sit around not looking for work because they will no longer have this or that. I would decrease the amount of assistance by x amount of dollars every year until the individual had no choice but to go out and find a way to make ends meet.

I agree. It's a Hand up not a hand out. It's there for when it is needed but it is def used way to much by people who CAN work. I am all for people using it when they need it but if you can you need to help yourself!

*BFP- Sept 2013*

*Ryder due June 1,2014*

BabyFetus Ticker

*Love of my Life*

image image

<3<3<3<3

• Options
    My UOis that welfare should be more like a rehabilitation program rather than something to supplement someone's life for x amount of years. From my personal experience getting KU as a 21 year old college student and doing it on my own, I would have not made it without government help at first. I found income based housing, had Medicaid and foodstamps. HOWEVER, I went to school full time and was an overnight baby sitter for a nurse on the weekends. Once my son was born I used child care assistance and went out and GOT A JOB. A good one, and still went to school full time. My good job made me ineligible for food stamps and raised my rent, oh well! I was HAPPY to be raising my son on my own and being able to provide for him! These programs are to help you out until you get on your feet. Instead people use it as an excuse to sit around not looking for work because they will no longer have this or that. I would decrease the amount of assistance by x amount of dollars every year until the individual had no choice but to go out and find a way to make ends meet.
    I LOVE this opinion. And it's really unfortunate that for a large percentage of people this may be an UO.
  • Options

Wheee, I'm jumping back on here because I just got off the phone with my sister. Apparently her best (meaning worst) case to come across while working for CPS was a 13-year-old mentally retarded girl who was raped repeatedly by her step-father and became pregnant. Her mental abilities were such that she couldn't even really comprehend what pregnancy and childbirth meant. Y'all pro-life-in-all-instances peeps really that cool with a barely pubescent, mentally retarded, rape/incest survivor being forced to carry a pregnancy that she's not mentally mature enough to even understand? I can't even with how many levels of violation were going on in that situation.

What a downer of a UO day. I need some Taco Bell.

That is so sad on so many levels. I hope that the poor girl is able to be removed from her predator's reach and can heal. I could never work in that field, I would murder someone.
    I have the utmost respect for everyone who works in that field (CPS, DA's office, detectives, etc.). Very difficult and very high turnover. My sister had to leave after two years, but hopes to work with CPS again in a different capacity at some point.

• Options
    @83edwards I definitely had Taco Bell for dinner and it was delicious. If only they'd bring back the chili cheese burrito, then I could be truly fat and happy.

• Options
    pandadair said:
    But what if another Christian person thinks it's treating someone like crap to force them to carry a pregnancy that resulted from incest or rape? Who decides which view is un-crappy enough to be acceptably "Christian"?
    I think the issue is that there are so very many denominations.  There are at least two kinds of Catholic, and I have no idea how many kinds of Protestant there are (for example I'm a Lutheran but there are something like five or seven different kinds of Lutheran these days), and then there are the nondenominational, and I'm not sure if that's all one thing or if there are different kinds of nondenominational too.  Everybody has at least slightly different beliefs that they felt so strongly about that they couldn't play anymore with the people who didn't agree.  Thus, you get a lot of "but no true Christian would ever X, because everyone knows they should Y." 

...and it just occurred to me that your questions were maybe rhetorical.  I'm posting anyway in case they're not.

Rhetorical, but I appreciate your viewpoint. More just wondering how she could call someone a crappy Christian for not supporting gay marriage or whathaveyou, when someone else could just as easily call a person who doesn't think a rape victim should have the option to terminate a crappy Christian. Who is the arbiter? Everyone and no one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"