August 2011 Moms
Options

Rachey!

Was it you that had a kitchen renovation recently? If it was, how hard was it for you to live through it with the kids? Did you guys have to stay somewhere else? Give it to me straight, how hard was it? Any tips on the actual renovation?

Re: Rachey!

• Options
    Still waiting.......
  • Options
    I'm no Rachey but I did have a minor kitchen remodel. We had all our cabinets painted. We had the painter start before we moved in bu the is a drunk flake so he was not done before we moved in.

I found myself repeating, 'Don't touch!' ten thousand times a day. The fumes were tolerable. It was a major financial issue having to eat out so much because it took so freaking long. So, factor not being able to cook in to your remodel budget.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A couple of months??????

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    I paged her for you. I do know it was really stressful for her and they had a lot of problems, flakey workers and such. It took awhile to get done.
  • Options

I paged her for you. I do know it was really stressful for her and they had a lot of problems, flakey workers and such. It took awhile to get done.

Thank you. Maybe it won't be so bad for us since our kitchen is tiny?
  • Options
    Hi!! :D it was hard, but we made it happen and I'm so glad it's done. It probably took 4 weeks total.

We lived here through it and set up a place to make dinner on our screen porch. We used the grill often and also used our griddler (which is like a George Forman grill and griddle combined).

It would have only taken about 2 weeks if we used a reliable person from the beginning. The guy we started out with (most likely) did meth. The guy we ended up with was slightly more expensive but did a good job and was reliable. We bought our cabinets through lowes. They made tons of mistakes with measurements and they totally messed up the sink and the cabinet under it. It would have been worth it to go with people from the beginning who knew what they were doing and actually showed up. We also spent more money than expected on eating out.

If I had to redo what we've already spent time, money, and effort on I would go with a place that could do it all and make sure I double and triple checked the measurements.

Oh and, we bought granite from a small shop in the country and it was the same price as laminate. So make sure you explore your options.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh and if you want things to go more quickly, don't change the footprint.
  • Options
    Thank you! We are going to go through Cabinets To Go. The layout will be the same we're knocking down a wall, though. Dh is doing about 80% of it. He's a plumber and our neighbor is an electron. So we won't be going through any contractors and such.

I'm worried though because it took a month just to get the catalog in the mail, so.....
  • Options
    Oy!! A month to get the catalog!?
  • Options
    That's a bad sign, isn't it?
  • Options
    Red flag!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:

A couple of months??????

Thanks guys.

Yeah, months.  But my dad did it after work and he worked 6 days a week.  Ripped out everything and started from drywall.

Shit. That's what Dh will be doing. Shit.
  • Options

Kimbus22 said:

A couple of months??????

Thanks guys.

Yeah, months.  But my dad did it after work and he worked 6 days a week.  Ripped out everything and started from drywall.
    Shit. That's what Dh will be doing. Shit.

If DH did it himself it would have taken a few months too. Luckily we hired someone. But, we have done some of it ourselves and that stuff isn't finished yet. For example, we did the backsplash and its still not grouted or sealed.

Just make sure you have a good place to do dishes and make easy meals.

• Options
    Good luck! We used an independent cabinet maker and it took just over a month, I think. I did some of the painting myself. It was a nightmare not having a kitchen and since I was a million mos pg, it made me crazy. I do love it though, so there's that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"