Pregnant after IF

What's everyone having for lunches?

I would post this over on my BMB but a lot of those women don't follow the rules and I'm sure it would get snarky.  I take the rules with a grain of salt, too, but right now it's too early and my IF brain just wants to follow the rules to a T, so no deli meat for this girl - at least not yet.

I'm having such a hard time figuring out what to bring for lunch.  We have an awesome cafe at my office, and they actually give us a $3 per diem to use, but lately nothing down there has been appealing to me and I just can't take the smells uuugh!  Without being able to make a traditional sandwich, what else really is there that's portable?  I know I could do salad but bleh, plus it's hard to get a protein in there without meat.  What have you ladies been doing for lunches, specifically at work?  I'm at the point now where I wouldn't say I have morning sickness, but not much food appeals to me (I am ever so slightly nauseous all the time) especially meat of any kind - so it's kinda limiting.  All I want are bland carb-filled things like crackers and grits, but I know I really should be careful with this since I'm at high risk to get GD.
Me 31 ~ DH 30
IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
<3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
DX - PCOS 2004
FET #2 - scheduled for 11/24/15

Re: What's everyone having for lunches?

• Does your cafe make grilled cheese?  I ate a lot of it during my first tri when nothing else sounded good to me. 
     TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• So the definition of grilled cheese in my cafe is a few slices of cheese on white bread stuck in a toaster oven for about a minute - it's disgusting lol.  It's about the only thing they make that's NOT good, everything else is pretty fabulous for a corporate cafe.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • Loading the player...
  • I make a big batch of soup on Sundays and take that with me for lunch sometimes. I also do tuna or egg salad on sourdough or wheat, crackers and cheese with a fruit cup, veggie or salmon burger, hummus with pita chips...I often just bring leftovers from home too.

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • I've been taking soups, salads, random snacks since sometimes I'm too nauseous to eat a big meal. Today I had a sandwich, I don't feel too horrible about it, but I'm of the belief in moderation. My appetite picks up in the evening. Sometimes for lunch I just have jolly ranchers lol. Going to stalk this post for ideas though!

• Maybe it's because it's my 2nd pregnancy, or I made my OB explain the "no deli meat" thing, but I haven't really been following it too closely. I just won't eat anything that isn't either freshly carved from the deli or straight from the package myself. I didn't have any leftovers from last night, so I ordered from our school hot lunch (which is a former parent who has a catering company) and she made me a grilled turkey and cheese sandwich, a scoop of mac and cheese, and some crackers with hummus. Can you tell I have my appetite back? ;)

I totally get what you're saying about feeling flamed on other boards! I'm so hesitant to post there. I hope this didn't seem like a snarky comment either! :) It's hard when nothing sounds good or when things smell funky. When I was feeling gross, even sandwiches were unappealing. I'd try something new every day, it would be okay, and then the next day it tasted funky. I really did like making smoothies for meals, though!
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my cafeteria stinks too. i'm also too lazy to bring lunch to work. when there's nothing to eat i opt for a chicken salad sandwich.

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • What about wraps with veggies and hummus? I've seen some great recipies on Pinterest and used to make some yummy ones with a whole wheat wraps.

Wrap, hummus, tomato, cukes, onion, feta, olives, edamame......
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Amen to the snarky thing!  I think some women on other boards, not having to go through the experience of infertility together, just didn't develop the respect and care for each other, that's all.  So, they're just hormonal without the compassion.  I avoid the other boards, LOL.

On food, I work from home, so I don't have to worry about portability, but I've been (oddly) eating a lot of fruit and cottage cheese.  It's good for me, I can tolerate it through my nausea, and it's really balanced.  I finally broke down last week and ate a Jimmy Johns italian sub - my fave.  It was so delicious, but I had the worst heartburn ever afterwards, even on meds.  I wouldn't try to sway anyone else on the deli meat thing, but I basically read that anywhere that you didn't get sick before you were pregnant, is probably safe afterward.  They were referring to sushi, but I figure it's the same thing.  Besides, it was 1 sub.  And it was a tasty, tasty thing.  ;)
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • @auntjessy I had 3 Vito subs from JJs last week :\"> it was the only thing that sounded appetizing.
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @twistsandturnsto2 that sounds sooooooo good!!
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

• What about other types of sandwiches - egg, chicken, tuna salad... Or a Philly where the meat is heated? I mainly bring dinner leftovers, but when I don't have any I usually eat a salad or frozen burrito.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• I like to make a batch of something (pasta salad, couscous with veggies, casserole) that I can eat on for a few days. On the lunch meat issue, I read a great article that said lunch meat is totally fine as long as the sandwich is toasted. The odds of lunch meat causing issues are probably slim anyways, but if anyone was worried they could try that. I'm too scared to try any of the other boards. The snarkiness is not fun to deal with at all. I like it here much better!

Me: 42. DH: 46.

1st Pregnancy: MC, 11/19/00.

2nd Pregnancy: DS born 04/10/06.

3rd Pregnancy: CP, 03/11.

4th Pregnancy: MMC, D&C 11/30/11, Genetic testing revealed Trisomy 4.

5th Pregnancy: Ectopic, 2 doses of Methotrexate unsuccessful, surgery 4/10/12, right tube removed.

Tried Letrozole January 2013-July 2013 (including 2 IUIs), all BFN.  After 2 1/2 years of trying for child #2, decided to "give up" after July cycle, based on AMA.

August 16, 2013:  BFP our first month of "not trying!"  Still in shock.  Beta #1 (14dpo): 183.  Beta #2 (17dpo):  611.  Ultrasound 8/30/13: baby measured 6 weeks, 1 day, heart rate of 118 bpm! 
    Ultrasound 9/13/13:  8 weeks, heart rate of 176!
    Baby is due 4/26/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks ladies, lots of good ideas!  Keep them coming :-)

I've been doing a lot of grilled cheese, as much as they stink in my cafe.  And when they have a good soup I'll do that.  I like to try to eat there as much as I can so I don't give up my $3/day!  Our cafe is actually really good, their hot specials everyday are restaurant-quality, and a few of the cooks actually work at some of the local restaurants at night and on the weekends, so their food is delish.  Anyway, that's off topic....I think the hardest thing right now, the rules on deli meat aside, is that I cannot stomach the mere thought of meat.  Any kind of meat.  Steak, chicken, turkey, ham, even fish....nope, yuck, getting nauseous just writing this thinking about it lol.  So even when they do have fresh sliced turkey or something like that at the deli counter I still can't do it.  All I've really been wanting are potatoes in any form, grits, cheese, and fruit.  So weird, I know.  Really anything bland I guess.  I guess I'll just have to suck it up and stick with what I can stomach until the aversions ease up.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • I'm a fan of dinner leftovers.  I've also been having tuna melts and egg salad...mayo is my best friend :)  Today I'm having a toasted tomato sandwich.  Honestly, at 7w I was eating whatever sounded good.  Since I couldn't enter the grocery store, I was at the mercy of DH and I'll be honest, I ate a lot of regular pasta and a lot of cereal. 

If you can do a ravioli or something and reheat for lunch, you can get your desired carbs and required protein.  Good Luck!

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• I see a lot of you ladies mentioning tuna....I was told to be careful with tuna, and if I must have it make it at home, nothing store-bought or pre-made (this also goes for any other salads made with a mayo-base such as egg or chicken salads).  What kind do you get and how do you make it?  I've also seen that you should be careful with mayo because it's got raw eggs in it....I'm not sure how much weight this holds because I would assume that anything from the grocery store has been highly processed and is free of bacteria, etc.  Maybe this just pertains to homemade mayo, which who the heck makes their own mayo?? lol  OMG a tuna melt sounds really really good right now!
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • I think just like the great cheese debate, mayo fom stores is made with pasteurized eggs and is generally considered safe.  If you wouldn't eat it before you were pregnant (after it sat out for hours at room temp), it's not safe now either.

As for tuna, I was told that it's because of mercury, but you can eat up to like 4 cans/week or something before it's dangerous.  I don't eat nearly that much!  I use a can of flaked light tuna packed in water and a dollop of Hellman's Olive Oil mayo, dice up a pickle and add some pepper and I'm done.  There are these really good breakfast rounds https://us.ozerybakeryinc.com/ozery/morningrounds.php and I toast one whole, then put my tuna and cheese (I'm non dairy so it's daiya cheese) and throw it under the broiler.  So satisfying!

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Th
    hootie123 said:

Does your cafe make grilled cheese?  I ate a lot of it during my first tri when nothing else sounded good to me. 

That's what I had for dinner last night OMG delicious!!!!
    Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

• @FutureMrsW9 - for about 3 weeks last month I ate almost nothing but baked potatoes and white rice.  And even then, it was not easy.  A few more weeks, it'll ease up.  I'm still not feeling great, but I can tolerate grilled chicken in moderation.  Oh, and to answer your question, Martha Stewart.  I'm sure she makes her own mayo, LOL. 
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • I see a lot of you ladies mentioning tuna....I was told to be careful with tuna, and if I must have it make it at home, nothing store-bought or pre-made (this also goes for any other salads made with a mayo-base such as egg or chicken salads).  What kind do you get and how do you make it?  I've also seen that you should be careful with mayo because it's got raw eggs in it....I'm not sure how much weight this holds because I would assume that anything from the grocery store has been highly processed and is free of bacteria, etc.  Maybe this just pertains to homemade mayo, which who the heck makes their own mayo?? lol  OMG a tuna melt sounds really really good right now!
    I guess I'm a super weirdo, because I make my own mayo. Lol. I don't like the taste of store bought, and I grew up on homemade. It also takes, like, 2 minutes. For tuna salad, you can eat canned tuna. It's fresh raw tuna that is most exposed to mercury. I usually get the kind that is packed in light water (in the pouch), I mix it with mayo, a sprinkle of cayenne, chopped green onions, chopped hard boiled egg, salt and pepper, and sometimes chopped walnuts or almond. So yummy!

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • @LadyMacaron - wow.  You're a real-life Martha!  Without the jail time, of course.  ;)

Hmmm....My understanding on the tuna thing isn't how it's packed, but the size of the fish.  The longer a fish lives, the more mercury it's exposed to.  The books say not to eat canned albacore, but chunk light a couple of times a week is OK.  The reasoning with fresh raw tuna is probably just because those are premium fillets that would come from a larger fish.  

And also - even eating your own homemade mayo is probably fine as long as you use pasteurized eggs.  :)

• auntjessy said:
    @LadyMacaron - wow.  You're a real-life Martha!  Without the jail time, of course.  ;)

Hmmm....My understanding on the tuna thing isn't how it's packed, but the size of the fish.  The longer a fish lives, the more mercury it's exposed to.  The books say not to eat canned albacore, but chunk light a couple of times a week is OK.  The reasoning with fresh raw tuna is probably just because those are premium fillets that would come from a larger fish.  

And also - even eating your own homemade mayo is probably fine as long as you use pasteurized eggs.  :)
    Yup, the chunk white being the best choice is what I understand, too, and what my nutritionist told me, as well, so I think that's right.  Now that I'm actually pregnant I should probably go back to the nutritionist, but I'm trying to wait a little longer until we're in a safer zone, maybe after Thanksgiving.

LadyMacaron WOW!  Good for you!  I'm impressed :-)  I wouldn't even know where to start to make my own...I'm a Helman's fan, so I'm just fine sticking with that as long as my taste buds agree that day haha.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • I only work part time, but I've been snacking for lunch when I'm at work. Pretzels, yogurt, crackers, loving chex mix for some reason!, the vanilla almonds, some watermelon...random. But today I was home and I had a choc. chip bagel from Panera with PB on it :)

dx: hypothalamic ammenorhea & MFI. TTC #1 since 7/09.12/09: DH had varicocele surgery. 5/10-8/10: IUI + Clomid #1-4 BFN, 9/10: IUI #5 + Clomid: BFP!!! Tyler Liam 6/3/11 7 lbs. 2 oz. 20 in. :) TTC #2 since 11/12. IUI + Clomid #1-2 Clomid: BFN, new RE: IUI + injectibles: BFN. Onto IVF#1 Antagonist: July '13: Estrogen, Provera, Menopur/Gonal/Cetrotide; ER 8/6: 8 eggs, 6 mature, 5 fert. with ICSI; 5D SET 8/11: BFN :( FET 2 embryos scheduled 9/13: BFP!!! 10/13: 2 heartbeats! Twin boys due 6/1/14!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"