Adoption
Options

Resources discussing effects of drug exposure

Is there a website or something that talks about different drugs and the effects of frequency of use during pregnancy?  We are trying to figure out what we are comfortable with and my google skills are failing me.  This is the last thing we need to finish up our application with the agency we've chosen!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Resources discussing effects of drug exposure

• Options

If you have a family physician, or know of/work with a pediatrician, you can get feedback from them. Our family doctor went over our profile and talked us through different exposures.

I believe the March of Dimes has something.

https://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/illicit-drug-use-during-pregnancy.aspx

• Options
    Google OTIS. That's what we looked at a lot while we were making those decisions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Check out the reasourses provided for general information now. When you are considering a match, I strongly recommend that you have the file reviewed by a doctor who specializes in adoption. They can read the file and discuss any risks that they think may present now or on the future.
  • Options
    Check out the reasourses provided for general information now. When you are considering a match, I strongly recommend that you have the file reviewed by a doctor who specializes in adoption. They can read the file and discuss any risks that they think may present now or on the future.
    I agree with this 100%.  The resources provided are a great start for trying to narrow down any conditions you aren't comfortable with but each child will be different.  I have done respite for many years and some of the kids I watched had extreme drug exposures and had little symptoms while others had tons of issues related to the drugs.  
    Brenda & Phillip married 10/10/09 

After 6 years of failed cycles, we were blessed with our little man through adoption. 
    B born 1/3/2012. Adoption finalized 12/27/12

Back  on the IF crazy train...
    Sept 2013 - IVF #1 -  BFP, EDD 6/4/14, born 6/8/14
    Everyone welcome

• Options
    Also, it's important to remember that the best anyone can provide is an educated guess. My family is the perfect example of how expectations can be vastly different from how people will develop and grow.
  • Options
    I think that's what's making it so hard - for our application with the agency there is a list of 13 different drugs/drug categories and different frequencies that we have to say we're comfortable with each (never, 1-5 times, occasionally, monthly, daily).  So arbitrary since it seems like some of the effects can be different depending on which trimester the exposure occurs.

I really just want to get the application done so we can start working on our profile!

BLAH!
  • Options
    @gidge, sounds like you're using the agency we originally went with, though we ended up being matched with our local agency instead.  We talked with our doctor and also checked out the March of Dimes website that another poster had mentioned.  We were open to a few minor things but alcohol was a huge no-no for us. 
    Christa
    Adopted a baby girl in January 2013 via domestic infant adoption
    "One and Done!"  Now we spend our time traveling the world as a family

My Blog: Travel Fearlessly
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"