VBAC
Options

If you switched OB's for a VBAC or VBA2C, where did you look?

My current OB/GYN will allow VBAC.  I was hoping for a VBAC this past May.  I've had 1 successful vaginal birth (DS1 when I went into spontaneous labor at 37w5d).  I had a scheduled c/s with my twins due to breech presentation. I carried a baby as a surrogate and delivered in May.  I got to 41w and still had made minimal progress and my OB didn't feel comfortable with the pregnancy continuing past that point so I had a scheduled c/s.  He won't do VBA2C so I'm considering looking or an OB that would be open to it.  How do you find a new OB that you trust?

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
BabyGaga

Re: If you switched OB's for a VBAC or VBA2C, where did you look?

• Options
    I literally googled "OB VBAC Bay Area" and stumbled on a local parenting board discussing doctors with successful VBAC rates.  I loved my OB that I found this way and had a successful VBAC in April.

• Options
    I'm not pregnant yet but I've been looking into options if we have another child.  I joined an ICAN group for my area on Facebook.  The group has in person meetings too but they conflict with an activity for my son so I just participate online.  I'm pretty sure I've picked my hospital and provider based on the feedback I've gotten there.  The midwife I'm interested in using is a member of the group and she has already answered some of my questions.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks!  I just looked for (and found) a local page.  I'd only found the (I assume) national FB page. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    My local Ican knew exactly who was the best and helped me find a super supportive

• Options
    I have a doula so I asked her if she could recommend any providers. She contacted her network of local doulas and gave me a nice list of a few very highly recommended doctors. She is the best resource I have!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know I am a little late to this post...but I would def recommend finding your local ICAN chapter...they will be able to point you in the right direction!
  • Options
    Google, for real.  Either the comments in the ICAN hospital database at the VBAC-friendly hospitals near you or just other mom message boards.  That's how I started my research, and when I started seeing some names pop up over and over again, I contacted one and the rest is history.  The hospital-based CNM I saw has a great VBAC rate (then and now) and I had a wonderful experience with her.  The internet didn't lead me astray.
    Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    You probably have your provider already but I looked into which practices were recommended by my local ICAN chapter. Then I looked up the VBAC success rates by practice and when the practice with the highest success rate in the area was also the one recommended by ICAN, I signed up with them - they also delivered in the hospital with the best rate in the area so I feel confident that their L&D nurses provide good care. 

The practice I'm with right now is logistically a little challenging for me but I'm trying to make it work. If I'm not able to deal with the hassles of their prenatal care, I have a 2nd choice practice with a VBAC success rate rather similar to the group I'm with right now. I had to switch practices quite a bit in my first pregnancy so I feel at ease knowing what my back up option is if this practice doesn't work out. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"