February 2013 Moms
Options

**holly321**

wifeofadamwifeofadam member
edited November 2013 in February 2013 Moms
I found my old allergy free cake recipe.  This is what I made for DS for birthdays for years, iced with applesauce, poor thing.

2 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
3 t. baking powder
1/4 c. applesauce
1 1/3 c. water
1 t. vanilla

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes

To make it more Thanksgiving-like you could substitute pumpkin puree for the applesauce and then add some allspice and nutmeg.  In place of water, to make it richer, you could add a milk substitute like rice milk.

Something that might be fun is to make the cake into little whoopie pies.  Marshmallows are actually pretty allergy-free, so you could use the fluff as filling for the pies.  The only problem I've ever had with doing that is that the fluff can disappear into the cakes after a while, so you'd want to do it just before Thanksgiving to avoid the problem.  Kids love anything with marshmallow, so I'm sure that would be a hit! 

Another idea for something less dessert-like, but still sweet would be a traditional sweet potato casserole.  The marshmallow on top is allergy-free, but sweet, so the kids might like that.

ETA - If you'd rather do something like a pie, let me know.  I've done crustless pumpkin pies for DS before and they've turned out great!

Re: **holly321**

• Options
    Thank you so much! I can't wait to surprise SIL! They are getting so discouraged. They struggle finding things to feed him. And then they found out yesterday that the poor little guy has asthma too.
  • Options
    I feel her pain.  The egg and dairy allergies are the worst, because dairy is in everything and egg is pretty necessary to make most baked goods, plus they are such a good source of nutrition.  I was so relieved when DS could finally have the eggs. 

I don't know how she is doing it with the coconut allergy.  I would be lost if I couldn't use coconut oil to bake with!

I will add your nephew to my prayers.  Food allergies stink, and then to have asthma on top of it.  That stinks :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"