Eco-Friendly Family
Options

plastics and this new parent (long)

NukkeNukke member
edited November 2013 in Eco-Friendly Family
I was a kid in the 80s, and so was my DH. We are the plastic toy generation for sure. DH and I try to limit the number of plastic items in our house when we can, but we're not crazy about it.

We have a 6 week old baby girl who is the first grandchild on both sides of the family. The grandparents and great grandparents have started buying her toys and its mostly plastic junk. A lot of it is clearly PVC (though unmarked). I WILL NOT knowingly give my baby a PVC toy, especially while she's at the age where everything goes into her mouth. She just received some PVC teething beads in the mail from her great grandmother and I'm throwing them out. You can't recycle them, and I'm not in good conscience giving them to another child.

I've worked in a conservation lab in the past, and I've spent a lot of time treating old plastics whose plasticizers ate leaching out as the plastic degrades. It's disgusting and dangerous. It sickens me to think about my baby handling these soft plastics. Granted DH and I turned out alright, and this fact will almost certainly be used by my in-laws to defend their use of plastics with their own kids.

I've already made it clear to my own parents who are completely on board. They were saving a lot of my old plastic toys, until I explained that 30 year old plastic will be so much more unstable than new plastic.

So my question is this. How do I respectfully request to my in-laws that they limit the plastics they buy for our DD? I hate for them to continue wasting their money on things I'm just going to toss. I'm also afraid of looking like a lunatic new parent.

Re: plastics and this new parent (long)

• Options
    I agree with PP 100%. You could also give them examples of the toys you do like and tell them where to find them. Be prepared, you may need to tell them multiple times.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks guys!  It makes so much sense to get DH to talk to his parents. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. Is your DH on board with keeping plastic out? You might have an issue if he's not.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Give them suggestions of other toys they can buy.  I gave my in-laws brands that I loved and where to find them.  They would still buy some toxic stuff, but at least the rest of it was the brands I recommended.
  • Options
    My MIL loves to buy tons of cheap crap for us and my students at school. I told her we are banning plastic for baby, and she seemed fine with it. Of course, I'm only 6 weeks pregnant and she leans towards the crunchy granola side a bit as well.

I plan to show the rest of the family a few articles about the dangers of BPA and toy recalls, especially where the toys were from China or other overseas factories. Hopefully that will work... 
  • Options

Some ppl (ahem, my ILs) don't get it. Plus, every ad out there is about plastic-y toys. When was the last time you saw a wooden toy on sale? Or in a flyer. I gave my hubby links to send to MIL. They already think I'm crazy and I don't care.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    I created an Amazon wish list of toys and other items for DS and had DH send it to my in-laws. The great thing about Amazon wish lists is you can add things from any site-- you just have to download an add-on to your toolbar.

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Options
    Yes, agreed, when dealing with inlaws it's better if it comes from DH.  

Also, I find subtlety doesn't work well... or slippery slope... It's makes you walk the walk more too though, as you can't tell them no plastic or polyester, and then you buy your kids something, heheh. 

My in-laws know our preferences, but they go rogue every now and then, and if we don't re-state our preferences and reasons for them (not in lecture format, but just in one-line condensed version: plastics in the oceans being big reason for us), then it keeps happening.  

It's hard for them to resist wanting to buy the kids the cute toy they see on impulse.. I think back to the days when my own buying decisions weren't as informed.  We've kept some plastic toys, given some to charity, and given some back to them to return when we felt we were able to broach it gently.

We're trying to make it more of a line in the sand going forward though, and agreed, in this case, best to give them a wishlist, or list of websites you like that they could buy for you from.

My fave websites:

www.nest.ca (free shipping to US and Canada)
    www.theoriginaltreeswing.com (US, but we've had shipped to us in Canada)
    manzanita kids on etsy (handmade in Seattle)
    little sapling toys on etsy (also US handmade)

I know that I can send them there, and be happy with anything they buy, and lots of things for them to choose from.  ;>

Good luck!  I find it's been a little tricky to be honest and open and consistent in our message, and be gracious for their giving above all else.  My in-laws don't really 'believe' in climate change or environmental issues though... :S
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"