Adoption

FMLA issues at work- need to vent

I should start by saying my HR seems to completely get what I am and am not entitled or allowed to do. After 4 plus weeks of arguing with my supervisors they're finally "getting it". At the beginning of our journey I approached my HR and asked all the appropriate questions as to what I'm entitled to once baby arrives. I took that information to my supervisor when I told him our plan (approximately a month and a half ago). I went to my boss early as we are short handed within my office and I'm largely involved in a huge project that is set to launch around the time baby arrives. Anyway about two weeks after I told them, I was presented with a packet of regulations (I work for the government) and was told I wasn't entitled to FMLA and that they could limit the amount of time I would be off since I do not have enough leave to cover the time off. It as explained to me by my supervisor that "maternity leave" was for recovery from child birth. I should add we don't even have maternity leave benefits. I was told this information was provided to them by my HR. after 4 weeks of back and forth, involvement from our legal office, and lots of frustration yesterday I received good and bad news. I finally have resolution on my 12 weeks and HR told them they couldn't dictate or have any say in that part. Turns out there was a lot of lying going on- and they had never spoke to HR. Which I assumed to be the case. Bad news is I got my annual appraisal and feel as though I took a direct hit based on our disagreements surrounding my adoption. I am overly frustrated as I took 12 weeks off when I had my son and no one blinked an eye or questioned any part of it. I keep telling myself that there is a lot of ignorance surrounding adoption and trying not to take it personally. But since it is very personal to me I'm finding it hard to keep my feelings separated. Sorry this is kind of long. Hopefully no one else is having to deal with a similar situation. It has truly been a draining process.
Blessed with 2 amazing little boys. One grew in my tummy and the other my heart.

06/30/10 my 1st son was born on my birthday. 
TTC #2 since 05/2011 BFP- Feb 2012, EDD- 11/01/12, m/c- 03/05/12 @ 5w+4d 
12/20/13 my 2nd son was born and placed in my arms.
Surprise BFP- Nov 2014, EDD- 8/06/215, mc 12/24/2015 @ 8w+6d
SURPRISE - BFP- 4/8/2105

Re: FMLA issues at work- need to vent

• Oye- it is very frustrating to me how adoption is swept under the rug in HR.
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's my direct bosses. Once it went to HR (after being lied to for 4 weeks). HR told them FMLA covered me 100% and they had no choice in the matter.
    Blessed with 2 amazing little boys. One grew in my tummy and the other my heart.

06/30/10 my 1st son was born on my birthday. 
    TTC #2 since 05/2011 BFP- Feb 2012, EDD- 11/01/12, m/c- 03/05/12 @ 5w+4d 
    12/20/13 my 2nd son was born and placed in my arms.
    Surprise BFP- Nov 2014, EDD- 8/06/215, mc 12/24/2015 @ 8w+6d
    SURPRISE - BFP- 4/8/2105

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"