Austin Babies
Options

Oh man! re:names

So nanann's post got me thinking about the popularity of my name, so I went the the SS's website to look it up.  ON the first page is the list of the ten most popular names of 2007. Well, guess what? Joshua is #4! Crying

I had no idea it was that popular!  I do not know any young kids or babies with that name.  I promised myself this time that I was NOT going to look at that site when choosing a name. It is one reason I as apprehensive about naming Abby Abigail.  Her name was like #6 the year we named her. I also only found that out AFTER we had come up with it.  

So sad! Sad

Re: Oh man! re:names

• Options

I wouldn't worry about it too much...it's a great name and it's not something that's incredibly trendy that will fall out of style quickly. I know a few baby  Joshua's or Josh's, but not a ton - I'm surprised it's so high up on that list!

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's a timeless, traditional name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Especially for a boy, I wouldn't worry about it much.  They really don't care :)

Back in 2002 Jacob was the TOP baby name for about four years.  I didn't want to use it but I did anyway because I couldn't think of any other name.  I've never regretted it.  Its only about every other year that he has another Jacob in his class, and it made sure that nobody will ever make fun of his name!

Sidenote - he's already annoyed with me for screwing up the spelling.  "Mom, people ALWAYS spell my name wrong.  They put a "C".  And then when I tell them its a "K", they just put a line through the C to make it a K."   He takes it so personal :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

But it's not in the Top 5 for Texas at least!:

Texas Jose 2,560 Jacob 2,273 Daniel 2,203 Christopher 2,165 Angel 2,074

And you'll be able to get personalized stuff easily for both Joshua and Abby!

I feel bad because although Julia is everywhere, Elena is of course never to be found. 

imageimage
    6-yr-old Elena and 4-yr-old Julia.
    My Blog! All about my girls and quilting
  • Options

Thanks ladies! I know it is not a BIG deal! Just makes me a little sad. Not sure why exactly.  I do not want a really uncommon name that no one has ever heard of, but I also do not want him to have 3 other Joshuas in his class every year. KWIM? 

Oh well!

Thanks nanann, it is good to know that it is not AS popular in Texas.  

• Options

Also, popular names are not as popular as they used to be! I forget the exact numbers, but when our parents were born, the top 5 names for boys and girls were about 35-30% of all children. My Dad's name is James, I'm sure you know a lot of them too. Along with everyones Aunt Barbara etc. Today, the top 5-10 names don't even make up 10% of all named babies from what I recall. It's higher for boys though because there are fewer "good" boy names and the bibilical ones will always be in use.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

DH is a Michael/Mike, one of countless thousands. Does not bother him in the least. I said something to him once about the name's popularity, and he shrugged and said, "It's a good, solid name. Lots of people like it."

So I wouldn't worry about Joshua's popularity. I'm sure he'll handle it just fine, and hey - he'll probably always be able to find little trinkets with him name on them. I've NEVER been able to find anything like that for myself! Stick out tongue

• Options
    I wouldn't worry too much either. ?Since it's a biblical name it's going to be popular by default. ?
  • Options
    imagemcgee:

DH is a Michael/Mike, one of countless thousands. Does not bother him in the least. I said something to him once about the name's popularity, and he shrugged and said, "It's a good, solid name. Lots of people like it."

So I wouldn't worry about Joshua's popularity. I'm sure he'll handle it just fine, and hey - he'll probably always be able to find little trinkets with him name on them. I've NEVER been able to find anything like that for myself! Stick out tongue

Yeah, DH's name is super popular as well. It does not bother him.  I was just looking at the SS name website and DH's name has NEVER not been in the top 20 for boys names since 1880! wow!

• Options
    I did not like having such a popular name growing up (mine was #1 the year I was born).  On the cheerleading squad in 8th grade there was four girls with the same first name!  It was so annoying.  My brother, on the other hand, had a very popular name, but it didn't bother him at all.  I think boys seem to care less about it than girls.  The name that we picked out for a boy is very popular right now, and I am not super concerned about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't know any Joshua/Josh's.  I think it's a fine name. I wouldn't worry about it.

Now, Jackson/Jack is another story.  I know eight of those under the age of two just within a 30 mile radius of us.

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. A good name is a good name. My DH is David and he has no problem with the popularity of his name.
    Business Cat. image
  • Options
    imagenaclh2otaffy:

Now, Jackson/Jack is another story.  I know eight of those under the age of two just within a 30 mile radius of us.

Make that seven...Jack's real name is Douglas. Big Smile 

• Options
    imagenaclh2otaffy:

• Options
    imagemcurban:
    imagenaclh2otaffy:

I stand corrected.  :)

• Options
    I think there's a big difference between popular-trendy and popular-classic.  I really dislike the popular-trendy names.  But the popular-classics (Jacob, Joshua, Michael, etc.) are different IMO.  Nobody will meet your kid 15 years from now and be like "Oh, Joshua- you must have been born in the late 2000s!" like will be the case with the more trendy ones.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"