February 2013 Moms

Spit Up... All. The. Time.

Good afternoon! I've been an on-and-off again lurker on this board (mainly when I found out I was expecting) and now whenever I have a free moment (yeah... right). And of course, I have a problem. Not a huge one, just an annoying one. Along with a question.

Anyway... history:

My baby has ALWAYS spit up. A ton. But he is always a happy spitter, it just doesn't seem to phase him. My pediatrician doesn't really want to do anything unless it becomes painful, which is understanding. But now, at 8 months old, he still spits up a ton. Except it's usually orange or green or whatever color food he just ate.

He's been breastfed since day 1. My pedi recommended cutting out dairy for a while, which I did for about a month (not hidden dairy). It didn't seem to make much of a difference. At 6 weeks we gave him his first bottle (we were both having a hard time with breastfeeding, between latch, spit up, feeding every like 5 minutes, etc.) and that was amazing. This decreased the spit up by like half, and he stopped spitting up in his sleep. But it's still bad. So I figured it was just me, my let down, and over supply, and started pumping. I've had an abundance of milk for the most part, and a pretty good freezer stash. Cue a couple of colds, the return of Aunt Flo, and over general disdain for the whole pumping thing, and we've decided to start supplementing so that way I do not have to be hooked to a pump 5 times a day at approx. 25 min each time. I still pump twice a day (for the moment) and make enough to supply him 2/3rds of what he eats. We started supplementing with some formula I had been given by the hospital, and continued with the same brand (Similac) for the time being. I've found a (what seems to be) decent organic formula on Amazon for a decent price and am just waiting for that to come in.

But here's my question... would you try Lactose Free? Or Dairy Free? Or Dairy sensitive or whatever they call it? Should I start with the normal stuff and wait a few weeks and see what happens and then try the sensitive formula? What would you do? Anyone else in the same boat?

I just need advice. I'm at a loss for this. He's otherwise so happy. But all of my clothes, his clothes, rugs, carpets, furniture, sheets, towels, etc. are not.

*PS - disclaimer - I'm not a super earthy crunchy mom. I am honestly surprised I breast fed for so long, but I knew it was what's best. I read a couple articles about organic and considering it's cheaper than Similac, I didn't see a reason to NOT go organic. So I'm open to all suggestions. Crunchy or not.

TIA for any help / advice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Spit Up... All. The. Time.

• My daughter has a tendency to spit up a lot too. This last month it has finally slowed down. We can now go a couple days when she doesn't spit up. When I started supplementing I had to try a couple different formulas. Luckily they were all the Similac brand and she finally settled on the fussiness and gas one. It seemed to be not as thick. I started supplementing when she was 9-10 weeks old. By the time she was 16 weeks she was strictly formula.
  • Our baby used to spit up all the time, but she is pretty much over it.  Our doctor said it came with sitting up, and it did.  I can tell you that bm spit up is not as bad as formula or especially formula+food spit up, so if you can keep with the bm, and formula doesn't help, perhaps stay with bm.  I think you need some medical advice about formula choices.  I know some people have had success with specialized ones, but I think it might be upsetting to the stomach to be switching all the time.  If your baby isn't gaining or is eating all the time or if it doesn't seem to be improving at all, you might need to consult a gastro.  
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the exact same problem! I can't believe my DS is still spitting up, even with sitting/standing, but he's a happy spitter too so I try not to stress. What has helped us a ton is the Enfamil AR formula, I actually use half that and half the organic and he spits up much much less! I would give it a try!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use similac for spit up. It helps a bit. We noticed that last week we didn't have to change his outfit all day for the first time ever. I hate going to people's houses bc he spits up on their rugs, etc but I think it's starting to slow down
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"