Nurseries and Baby Gear

Convertible Cribs

For those who have convertible cribs, did you purchase convertible kits/toddler rails the same time? The crib is for our first one and we might use for 2nd one if we decide to have one more later so we might use it as a crib for a while. Does it make sense to buy the the convertible kits/ toddler rails now and store in the storage? Thank you in advance!

Re: Convertible Cribs

• My husband and I just purchased our crib, and we were advised by several people to buy everything at one time just in case they discontinue it. Yeah, it might be a pain to store the extra pieces, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Especially after all the money we've spent on a nice set of furniture!
  • definitely buy it all now. the store we got the crib from went out of business and we had to track down the rails through the manufacturer and pick it up at a store 2.5 hours away.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the good advices!
  • Another reason to buy the rails now (aside from the risk that your style of crib might be discontinued) is that you might need to do the conversion quickly.  DS figured out how to climb out of his crib when he was two, and since I have a colleague whose daughter broke her arm that way, we decided that we needed to turn the crib into a toddler bed as soon as he could climb out. I was glad we had a convertible and had already gotten the rails.
  • I'm looking at convertible cribs now, and the full bed conversion kits are frequently not available or are crazy hard to come by. I really want to be able to convert to a real bed, so this might be a deal breaker.

For anyone who has experience with the conversion, would it be possible just to use the headboard and screw it to one of those metal frames that you can get anywhere? It won't have pretty wood side rails, but I'm fine with that. I would also be fine without a footboard.
  • @laura5533, for the Graco cribs, that's exactly what you do. Just screw it into a metal frame. I loved that about them. Also, if you don't want to store the rails, they make rails that fit any crib in case yours is discontinued. Not as cute, but perfectly functional.
  • Hmmm. Thanks for the info. I can't imagine there's anything different about the Graco cribs that allows them to be used with a standard metal frame...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"