April 2013 Moms
Options

Still happy with name choice?

More than a few times when out, if someone asks what LO's name is, they've replied "Well, that's different" or some variation like that. One lady even asked if that's his nickname. These responses always surprise me. His name is Miles, which is traditional and while not super common, not outlandish either. Anyway, this got me wondering if anyone would change their Lo's name if they could. I love his name, no regrets or remorse here.

Re: Still happy with name choice?

• Options
    Sol1790Sol1790 member
    edited October 2013
    My daughters first name was chosen by dad and I got to pick her middle name. We both liked it and were happy. Full name is Jasmine Isabella and last name starts with M. Well a friend decided to customize a blanket with her initials and they are JIM I never noticed before that :(. I truly dislike her initials. Oh well!
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Absolutely. Daley is MHs middle name. I love love love his middle name but he thinks its "girly." I said perfect name if we have a girl then. :) We often hear "oh that's different" but its usually followed by "very nice" or something like that. When people have a screwed up face about it I tell them it's MHs middle name and that usually makes their scowl disappear. ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @chgibeau SO now calls her "jimmy" to upset me lol And yes I need to start doing that it would make me feel better :)
  • Options
    I love our name choice; I chose Brayden and DH chose his middle name Keith. That's DH's middle name and Brayden Keith goes well together to me

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I go back and forth in it. I still kind of wish I had won the name battle (I wanted Margaret NN Maggie), but not going to change it now so no point stewing about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love our LO's name.  I wasn't crazy about it when I was pregnant (it was DH's favorite choice and he finally wore me down!) but now I think it's very fitting for him.  Clark Donald. 
  • Options
    We were team green as well @melandjames14 , and he came earlier than expected. We hadn't settled on a name for either sex. It took us two days (my family was going nuuuuts not knowing) but we're both really happy with our choice.
  • Options
    I love our name.  What I do not love is the people that try to call him a shortened version.  We named him Alexander.  If we wanted him to be called Alex or Xander we would have named him as such.

This would drive me nuts. One of the reasons I like our name choice is that it can't be shortened. MIL calls him "my-my"....which, no. Just no.
  • Options
    @tuckleup I really like the name Miles btw. It sounds so professional

• Options
    I was not happy with her name. She decided to make her debut a whole 8 weeks early while I was thinking I had more time to go over it... Well, the hospital rushed me to fill out her paperwork and I put Audrey Josephine, which I was kind of iffy about but Hubby wanted it.
    I don't think anyone has ever once referred to her as Audrey- she is known as Josie, and I believe it fits her wonderfully. It started to get annoying when doctors would call for "Audrey" and we were like, "who?" ...lol

Anyways, the name changing process turned out to be the easiest thing ever(even though everyone made it seem like it would be a nightmare). All it took was a trip to the local Vital Records dept and the woman there filled out one paper and mailed it in for us. No money involved since she is less than 1yr. All we have to do is get it updated on her SS card, no biggie. Now it is Josephine Elise, which I am in love with, and my mother can no longer refer to her as "A.J."(yuck).
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Miles was actually on my list of names. In the end I let my husband choose the whole name. He was really begging. So we named him Connor Alexander. The next child I will have the complete say in the name. I am looking at names that also have initials in the periodic table or something since I will be getting "Co" "Al" "La" elements for Connor's name tattooed.

• Options
    tondraluv said:
    @tuckleup I really like the name Miles btw. It sounds so professional

Thanks!
  • Options
    We weren't sure and didn't name her until she was born. I had a little remorse a few days later. I was just telling DH yesterday that I am so glad we went with her name. It's beautiful and perfect for my little girl. Her name is Alice.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i really like the name miles as well.

I love the name I picked. SO really wanted to go with ZOE. I just didnt think the name would fit her well. Plus i have always loved the name Riley. So i compromised with SO and let him choose the spelling which is why it's spelled Rylee instead. and Zo as the middle name which i close to ZOE. I love her initials RZA. The issue is that our familyies can not pronounce her name very well. lol. English is not their first language. oh well. no regrets here. I love my DD's name and i'm sure she will too once she is old enough to decide.  
  • Options

I love my little one's name - Molly. She was supposed to be Natalie - but when we found out she was a girl, we started calling her that and both agreed 2 days later it didn't fit. Talk about a spot on instinct. She is 100% a Molly and not a Natalie (although I still LOVE the name Natalie.)

Her middle name is Mildred - after my Grandmother. I'm surprised by how many people ask me her middle name and I also get some odd looks. I get it, it's sort of an odd middle name --- but my Grandma was such an amazing person that I don't care in the slightest..... but yet i still get annoyed every time I find myself explaining to someone why we chose it.

Her initials are MMM. Another thing I don't love but in the end I don't care.

All things considered - we nailed her name as far as I am concerned :)

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Options
    We were team green and always have difficulty with names. We actually were more in agreement this time with 2 solid girls names. We didn't want to choose right away and a few family members found out and winked their noses at our choices. We still ended up picking one of our top 2 and I'm happy with the one we picked. I think it suits her and had lots of nickname options. We do have some spelling issues and a few people have said it's different, but it's been around many years and not just a unique variation of a popular name. Otherwise we like it.
  • Options
    Sol1790 said:
    My daughters first name was chosen by dad and I got to pick her middle name. We both liked it and were happy. Full name is Jasmine Isabella and last name starts with M. Well a friend decided to customize a blanket with her initials and they are JIM I never noticed before that :(. I truly dislike her initials. Oh well!

Sorry Sol but I lol'd a little. There are MUCH worse initials though! I knew a guy whose initials were ARM. He chose to have that be his nickname - still don't know his real name. Maybe in the future you could do Jasmine's initials with your last name included like they do in Mexico?

I have a friend who gave her daughter the initials KKK. Even worse, her first and middle name could easily have been spelled with C's. We made sure to point this out before the baby was born but her response was "Well, she'll get married one day."

• Options
    Miles is an adorable name!

Warner is absolutely the right name for our kiddo, no doubt about it!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Options
  • Options
    KKK is worst then JIM lol
  • Options
    No regrets at all.  We settled on her name very early on and still absolutely love it:  Maeve Eloise
  • Options
    My LO is named Miles too, and I've only gotten positive comments about what a neat name and people remark how uncommon it was (it's gained a lot of popularity in the past years). I love it and the only thing I don't like it sometimes people try to use 'Miley' as a nickname and that is cause for throat punching.
  • Options

Miles was actually on my list of names. In the end I let my husband choose the whole name. He was really begging. So we named him Connor Alexander. The next child I will have the complete say in the name. I am looking at names that also have initials in the periodic table or something since I will be getting "Co" "Al" "La" elements for Connor's name tattooed.

Connor was in my top 4 names, but we went with Miles. And his middle name is Alexander (Miles Alexander)
  • Options
    asc34 said:
    No regrets at all.  We settled on her name very early on and still absolutely love it:  Maeve Eloise

Nice pick. I LOVE the name Maeve - but it just doesn't sounds good with our last name :(

I'd never heard the name Eloise until I started LO at daycare - I love it!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Options
    I still have regret over DDs name. I wish that the day DH and MIL had marched into the hospital room and told me they both HATED my original name choice, that I had stood up for myself. Instead I was so shocked by it, that I let him pick her first name instead, and I chose the middle.

Anyway, I like her name but just don't think it suits her. It is Cortana Alexa. Lately, I have been calling her Cora, or Alexa instead. We had the name change discussion but DH is not on board.

I find that in public I either get, "that's so pretty!" Or "that's different,". I've even gotten "I'm not going to remember that so I'm not even going to try." It's frustrating.
  • Options
    @fireflyz56 - Cora is adorable and a totally legit NN for Cortana IMHO. Can you just call her that without formally changing the name? I don't think there is anything wrong with Cortana either, but since you will no doubt soon be yelling her name a lot, you want it to be something you like!
  • Options
    Kate_C said:

@fireflyz56 - Cora is adorable and a totally legit NN for Cortana IMHO. Can you just call her that without formally changing the name? I don't think there is anything wrong with Cortana either, but since you will no doubt soon be yelling her name a lot, you want it to be something you like!

Haha, yes you make a good point about the park. :) I think out of them all, I prefer Cora the most. I tried Cory (Corrie?) as well but it's too boy-ish for me. I just hope she doesn't get confused if I constantly switch between Cora and Cortana. :/
  • Options
    Our DS is Rhys (like Reece) and we have gotten some downright rude comments, but most people think it's cute. We have also heard a few times that "oh I know someone else who just named her son that!", so I do think it might be slowly gaining in popularity. Anyway, we love it and it fits him perfectly. It is annoying when people can't pronounce it correctly, but I just think Reece is too feminine and Rhys is much more masculine. Also, DH is Ross, so it's a nice way to pay tribute to him without going the Ross, Jr. route.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Eloise was our second choice. When we were in NYC we went to the Plaza to the Eloise shops and bought the Eloise book. Oddly enough we were team green and I thought for sure it was a boy. Subconsciously, I must have known. 

I feel like I stumble over DDs name because I want it to be 3 syllables and most people pronounce it with 2. Her name is Jocelyn.  I do still love her name. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    still very happy with LOs name.
    Bradley Houston - 04.01.13
  • Options
    Nope, love it. We get some comments also.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yep, still love it. We are a big NN family so Finley Thomas has given us plenty of material to work with too!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I love my son's name but I hate how popular it is. Every other person I introduce him to says, " oh Chase is my grandson/nephew/ect's name!" I don't want Chase to have to be defined by his last initial in school.
  • Options
    Connor was in my top 4 names, but we went with Miles. And his middle name is Alexander (Miles Alexander)
    Great minds think alike ;)

• Options
    I love our daughter's name Nora Milly. What I don't like is that I have to give DH credit every time someone compliments me when we're out. He picked her first name and I chose Milly after my sister, Amelia.
  • Options
    I love DS' name. It is a classic name spelled the usual way and inevitably people say, "That's a good solid name." A few people have tried to NN him but we are sticking with the full name. If he wants to use a NN when he is in school, so be it, but it should be his choice, not other people's.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Options
  • Options
    superene said:
    I love our daughter's name Nora Milly. What I don't like is that I have to give DH credit every time someone compliments me when we're out. He picked her first name and I chose Milly after my sister, Amelia.

I >love< Nora. It was my top girl's name. Good choice!
  • Options
    Still love our name choice. Hudson Benjamin. We were set on his name, if he had been a girl, DH and I would have fought to the death over a name. I loved Emmerson, he loved Avery and we settled on Emory, but I don't love Emory at all. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"