July 2014 Moms
Options

Failing at quiting smoking

I need some sugguestions for what worked for former smokers out there.  I quit quickly w my first child 15 yrs ago and didn't start smoking again till I was 30.  My husband has quit to help motitvate me and I am failing miserably!!!!! I don't understand why this is so much harder this time  I am plagued w guilt and its cant seem to do it.  I know how important it is and feel so selfish!!!! what worked for you???

Re: Failing at quiting smoking

• Options
    you aren't alone.  I quit really easily with my first - the nausea easily overcame ANY desire to smoke (that existed beyond concern for the baby).  This time around has been REALLY REALLY tough.  I have known for a week that I am PG and today I just made the decision.  I HAVE to do it solo - I can't rely on the patch, gum etc.  I can't wait for the nausea to come.  I feel too ashamed and guilty with every cig.  So I'm going it cold turkey.  It is going to be a battle, but I can't do it any other way.  I do feel sorry for my DH - hormones and withdrawal.  Poor man!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You don't have to do this cold turkey. Call your doc and get some program into place to help you. It's really hard. Hang in there.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Holding thick straws and sucking on straws helped me. McDonalds ones are the perfect size. I would ask your doctor though. I used. Nicorette gum, but I don't know if that would be safe. Chewing gum or sucking on hard candy have helped some of my friends. I wish you the best of luck! It's not easy but you CAN do it!
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh that's a good one!!!! I'm going to try that today:-)
  • Options
    God that makes me feel better. I've been trying to use a elec cig but now my dh says that nicotine constricts blood vessels decreasing o2 to baby. But it was lowering my real cig intake!!! I can't win Yes I'm pouty lmao
  • Options
    I've been sucking in butterscotches which has heled me go longer inbeteeen smokes. I tried a pen but it was helping I'm going to mcd to grab a straw;-) u rock girlie
  • Options
    I don't know how you feel, but wanted to give you support in you efforts. 
    I am not sure if this is helpful for smoking cessation but don't let guilt overcome you because you just wear yourself out. Instead focus on the positive for your growing child.

Hugs!
    Married since 2007
    DS #1 Born July-2011
    DC #2 BFP Oct-27-2013 MC 5w3d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"