Parenting after a Loss

Q for BF Mommas (martinimomma)

martinimommamartinimomma member
edited October 2013 in Parenting after a Loss
I may cross post on the BF board...but for my BF homegirls I have a question: what did you do when LO started STTN? DS did not sleep for a 5 hr stretch until he was many many months old, and by then my supply was tanking anyway...but DD has done it a few times already now (and 6 hrs too - she might go longer but I haven't let her). We recently resolved my oversupply issues, but these long stretches are killing me. I've used a manual pump very briefly to relieve pressure, but don't want to get into a pumping cycle and risk returning to oversupply land.

So how did you handle the transition to STTN? Did you have to pump every night that LO STTN? I don't have an electric pump and hadn't planned to get one (I'll likely need to wean DD when I go back to work in January) but if this keeps up I may need to.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm probably overthinking it as usual.

ETA - DD is 7 weeks old (I need to make a new ticker!)

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
BFP #2 2/2011
Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Q for BF Mommas (martinimomma)

• mkc5869 said:

I just tried to stick it out but if I woke up and it was too uncomfortable to sleep then I pumped a little.  It took about a week before my body really got the memo and I could easily STTN with DD. 

Thanks. That makes sense. She's still doing it inconsistently (and I'm grateful she's doing it at all!) which makes it challenging too.

BFP #2 2/2011

• DS only started STTN at around 8.5 months. My body seemed to adjust to the change on its own in about a week. My supply is still hanging in there and is able to adjust to every change that we have made (it usually takes about a week to adjust). Now I nurse in the morning and pump at noon and 7 when I am working. But I will nurse 3 time daily when I am not working. Right now we just changed DS to 3 meals per day and 1 snack per day.

I hope your body is able to make the adjustment without too much trouble. GL!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks Ladies. I think I'll just stay the course for a while and see how it goes.

BFP #2 2/2011

• When he slept, I slept.  Period.  My supply never suffered.  He usually emptied me out in the a.m.  And if he didn't, only then would I pump.  You couldn't pay me to set an alarm to wake myself up to pump of all things.

Can I just say that I am totally jealous that your NB is already STTN?!  JEEBUS!  It took us 5 months!!!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• If I woke up in pain before he woke i would pump just enough to take the edge off. Sometimes i would have to do that so the letdown wouldnt douse him, lol.

And how awesome that she is STTN. So glad she is a good sleeper for you!

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• martinimommamartinimomma member
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Ladies. It is nowhere near consistent but it is a lot more than I (or my boobs) expected at this point. I've gotten a few 5 hour stretches and 6 hrs one night. I woke her that night as I was very uncomfortable. We'll see if it lasts - this question may be moot soon enough. :)

BFP #2 2/2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"