Working Moms
Options

trick or treat question

So this will be the first time we take lo trick or treating. We're just going around the cul due sac...but we both want to go. This means until we're done no one will be handing candy out at our place. Thoughts/suggestions.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary

Re: trick or treat question

• Options
    Bucket on the porch with a request that kids take just one.. Your bucket will last for about, oh, 15 minutes or so. Unless you bought the cheap candy, in which case it might still be there when you get back ;)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yea I would just put out a bowl. We are lucky to have MIL come over to help while we go trick or treating.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Because the kids are so little, I take them ToT earlier than the older kids. I place a bucket of candy (1/2 the stash) with a note during this time. The other 1/2 I will give away when I return home.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We leave the bucket out on the step with a note. We only do the neighborhood for TOT but typically end up with at a mini gathering at our friend's parents house in the neighbhorhood. They have little snacks for the kids and pumpkin beer for the adults. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I go to a few houses early and turn out porch light.  Then DH will take him to more houses and I'll start handing out candy then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    DH and I always take DS around because some of our neighbors have little gatherings with bonfires, etc. and it is fun to chat with everyone.  I normally leave a bowl of candy out, but we have more teenagers in the hood now, and the last two years, I came home to find my empty bowl out in the middle of my yard.  So this year even though I bought a ton of candy I am thinking about just being a scrooge and leaving my light off.  If we get back early enough I will hand out candy when I get back home.

• Options
    We do the bucket on the porch. Last year my husband ran home and refilled it once. A lot of houses in our neighborhood do the same thing. Last year we were home early enough to answer the door for the older kids.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Either put a bucket on the porch and hope the first kid doesn't just dump it all into their sack, or just let it be.  folks will understand if you're not there. 

• Options
    LoCarb said:

Because the kids are so little, I take them ToT earlier than the older kids. I place a bucket of candy (1/2 the stash) with a note during this time. The other 1/2 I will give away when I return home.

This too. We've still had candy in our bowl when we returned the last 2 years. I guess it was still early enough when we were out that all the kids coming to the door were little and had parents with them.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LoCarb said:

Same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did the bucket on the porch but some kids took it ALL within 10 minutes.  Our neighborhood is great and most people trick or treat with their parents.  BUT because our neighborhood is so nice we have van loads of kids from all over Chicago who trick or treat in our neighborhood.  Sounds great right? Except some of these kids are like 15 and little POS thugs who are not nice- to put it very lightly.  So we have to actually watch out around here on Halloween. 

Also I just re-read what I wrote and it sounds shitt* but it's all true.
  • Options
    We did the bucket on the porch but some kids took it ALL within 10 minutes.  Our neighborhood is great and most people trick or treat with their parents.  BUT because our neighborhood is so nice we have van loads of kids from all over Chicago who trick or treat in our neighborhood.  Sounds great right? Except some of these kids are like 15 and little POS thugs who are not nice- to put it very lightly.  So we have to actually watch out around here on Halloween. 

Also I just re-read what I wrote and it sounds shitt* but it's all true.
    I don't think it sounds shitty at all.  When we lived in a really nice section of the city, kids would come from all over to ToT, including 16+ year olds with no costume, or even adults with no costume saying they were there for their LO who is too young to go ToT (ummm, then do they really need candy?).  Frankly I thought it was completely obnoxious so I get what you are saying.  I never would have left candy out on the doorstep there either.

• Options
    We go out early and won't be gone for long. We just keep the porch light off until we get home. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    We rochambeau'd for who stays home.
  • Options
    I can relate...so it doesn't sound terrible to me.
  • Options
    Wasn't even an issue...we got back before anyone came over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"