Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Screamfest at Bed

My son has never had an issue with us putting him down to bed until 2 nights ago where he's had full on fits of screaming for no apparent reason. He doesn't have a cold or acting sick and isn't showing any signs of teething. We're at a complete loss since this has literally come out of no where. He's 22 months and we've honestly had no problems until Monday night (and then today at nap he threw a fit but not as bad as the current one which has been going on almost 45min). We have tried to go in and have him lay back down, rub his back-which works and no sooner do we shut the door does it start again. Any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with it (besides large quantities of wine??) THANK YOU!!

Re: Screamfest at Bed

• Options
    We've been going through kind of the same thing for a month or so. The hardest part lasted for a week or two. He would scream the minute we shut the bedroom door. We went in every few minutes and rocked him or patted his back, told him it was night night time, and put him back down. The first time it took a couple tries but now he usually stops crying after a minute or so if he cries at all.

I think it's separation anxiety. We're also going through a phase where I'm the only one that can put him to bed. When my husband tries he screams "WANT MOMMY" until I come in and take him. However, in the morning when he wakes up, he freaks out if my husband doesn't come and hold him for a while. When my husband leaves for work all Hell breaks loose for at least a good ten or fifteen minutes.

For right now our plan is just to meet his needs the best we can and hope it passes. We introduced a blankie and a favorite stuffed animal and put them down with him for naps and bed time. The screaming at night has significantly improved so I think the rest of it will with time, too. If it doesn't then I guess we will address it then.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. We have a nightlight and I have moved it for todays nap, from beside a bookshelf to a more open space so he can "see" it. He only whimpered for a minute at naptime so that's a plus! I believe that he is going through some separation anxiety and I'm hoping it will pass soon. Fingers crossed and thanks again!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have definitely slowed down bedtime. I used to put him in pjs, brush teeth, say goodnight to daddy, kiss him goodnight, put him into his crib, and walk away. It literally took like 5 minutes. Well, last week he started doing what you just described. He had about 3 days of horrible screaming during naptime, he missed naptime altogether once, and did the bedtime screaming a few times too, although that was much shorter. It was pretty shocking because he's always been super easy to go down; it had me a little concerned.

Since then though, I've started warning him that it's almost bedtime about 30 minutes before it's time to put him down and I remind him several times before we go into his room. Then I get him ready and put him in his crib. Then I proceed to close the blinds, put away a couple of things, give him his blankie and stuffed animal, all while talking to him and kind of letting him wind down and get ready for going down. Sometimes he'll stand up and ask me to hold him. If he does, I hug him but don't take him out and I keep reassuring him that I will come back after he is done sleeping. Things have gone much better in the few days with very little, if any, crying.

I agree with pp that there might be a new phase of separation anxiety going on and they just need help getting through it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards