Preemies
Options

Walking outside

We still have mild temperatures where we live, about 50-55 degrees. LO has her vaccinations. Would I be insane to take her on little a walk outside? I would bundle her up and keep her covered, of course. My reasoning is 1-something to do as I am going a little stir crazy and 2- fresh air is good for everyone!
What about off-peak hours to the grocery store?

Re: Walking outside

• Options
    We came home in April when it was in the 40s/50s and my kiddos didn't have vaccines yet at that point, but the NICU doctors told us as long as they were bundled up and warm to the touch that it was fine to going on walks.  I would only do grocery store if she is covered good though I avoid crowded spaces at all cost.  

• Options
    @meldoo2002
    I do "extreme couponing" so I always frequent the store at odd hours as to not piss off people. I'm sure I'll be getting the side eye for having my baby out at 9-10pm at the grocery store. But there is practically no one there at those times.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What kind of guidelines were you given by the doctors? We were very strictly hibernating the first year but that's not the case for everyone.

Take lots of walks! Its easy to cover the stroller or just not stop for people who want to touch. Enjoy the escape from the house.

I did all my shopping at night but I left my preemie at home with DH.
  • Options
    @sahara78 she is 10weeks actual, 1 week adjusted.
    @kck329 we weren't given many "directions". And I asked several people from nurses to different neo's that saw our LO and her pedi. They instructed to stay away from little kids. I asked about walks and stores, stressing we would go during "off peak" times and I really felt like we were given no real answer.
    I guess I was trying to gauge opinions of moms who have already lived thru this.
  • Options
    @sahara78
    We definitely are feeling a little stir crazy. Just trying to figure out what is and isn't acceptable.
  • Options
    As long as she's warm enough I think walks are fine! I take DD to the supermarket and carry her in the moby. No one tries to touch her. I didn't when she was one week adjusted though. I just started within the past month. Her head was too wobbly at first.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    @ktz17 how old is your LO? I'm always on mobile and can't see siggys
  • Options
    @ktz17 ignore what I just asked. I'm having "momy brain" today.
  • Options
    Yep yep. I agree that the walks are fine. But I wouldn't do the grocery store visit. Too many germs.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimageimage

Pregnancy #1 EDD 1/20/13, D&C for unexplained miscarriage at 12w
    Pregnancy #2 EDD 8/28/2013, Carson was born on 6/28/2013 at 31w - spent 37 days in the NICU
  • Options
    My LO is. 12.5 weeks actual/2.5 weeks adjusted and we've been out if NICU three weeks and we've been out and about to some stores, but go during the week during the day. We keep her covered in the stroller. Our pedi didn't give us any hard and fast rules, but suggested just avoiding crowds. I was also going stir crazy so we had to get out of the house. So far she's been healthy and doing great!
  • Options
    Our pedi told us to act normal, treat him like we would any baby - except to not let anyone touch him without sanitizing/washing their hands first and to try and keep him away from kids or anyone mildly sick.
    He said walks, stores, family functions etc were all fine. Just to be very diligent with the hand washing and weary of sick people.
    Everyone's going to do their own thing, do what you feel comfortable with! I couldn't be cooped up forever I know that... We go to walmart some days just to keep me awake and let LO nap (he loves the stroller).
  • Options
    I think walking outside would be good for everyone! Just make sure she's bundled up very well. As far as the grocery store, I avoided it as we were told to keep her away from crowds. My personal feeling is that the grocery store is very germy, so I just wasn't comfortable with it, but I may be a little more germaphobic than necessary. She went to the store for the first time at about 10 months old. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    Our pulmonologist says walks are a definite yes! We won't be completely locking down for the season, but on the rare occasion we go somewhere, I will be wearing her so no one touches. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    Our pedi was fine with him going out after he receives his 4 month shots. However, his Synagis dr said no crowds until the end of the season. He said walks would be great and he said that we could go to non-crowded restaurants during off peak hours. I assume stores could be included in that although I don't know that I'll chance it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    My neontologist made the point that, in general, the air outside will be cleaner than air inside (we live out in the country) and as long as we keep him warm enough walks are a really good idea. DS is a 32 weeker but didn't have a lot of real medical issues, just to give some reference.
  • Options
    Dd was a 32 wker, our we came home in august and we had the all clear to treat her like a term baby with strict handwashing/sanitizing rules until the first cases of flu popped up in our area. Flu hit our area before rsv last yr. Once flu was going around we got put on lockdown. Dd was on drs orders for limited outings, his preference being none other than her appointments. She has an asd though, and at the time they were concerned that with her immature immune system any slight illness could cause an issue with it closing on its own. That being said, she did still get croup from her brother. They live with their mother and she ignored out request for a heads up if either of them were sick so we could make appropriate arrangements to avoid dd getting sick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"