Sick DD (not IF related) — The Bump
Secondary IF

Sick DD (not IF related)

DD, age 4, started having a wet cough on Sunday. Tuesday, she had a fever that I treated with Tylenol. Today she still has the fever, cough, and runny nose but she's acting fine! She wanted to go ride her bike earlier! (And it's still hot here) I took her temp again 30 minutes ago and it was 102.7. I gave her more Tylenol. (2nd dose today). Then I was reading on google (bad, I know) that if your child has a fever but acts fine, that you should refrain from giving them the fever reducer. 102.7 just seems too high not to treat to me. Just wanted to get some thoughts and input from you ladies. Am I slowing down her healing by medicating the fever?
image
photo image.jpg

Re: Sick DD (not IF related)

  • Wow that is a good question, but I think I would still treat the fever.  It is weird that she is feeling fine.  Have you called the doc? 



      


  • I haven't called, they're not helpful giving info over the phone. They always just say bring her in. If she still has a fever tomorrow, I might make an appointment. I'm totally frustrated bc we just spent $250 on the strep ordeal..now this. Stupid germs!
    image
    photo image.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't called, they're not helpful giving info over the phone. They always just say bring her in. If she still has a fever tomorrow, I might make an appointment. I'm totally frustrated bc we just spent $250 on the strep ordeal..now this. Stupid germs!


    Im sorry she is sick! I hope she feels better soon!

    BTW, that is the most adorable picture EVER!! What a cute idea!! :)

  • I'd give her the Tylenol. She's still little. I could see if it was an older child, acting fine- but like you said, that is a high fever for a little girl. I'd probably alternate Motrin/Tylenol if the Tylenol alone isn't doing the trick. 


    Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

    Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 



    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd still give Tylenol even if she's acting fine. I'm not a fan of giving a fever reducer for low fevers because I do think it keeps the body from doing it's job, but 102.7 is high. At least your doctor says to bring her in, mine never says to bring my daughter in! She's even had a couple 105 fevers (once we were already in the ER when it got that high), and the 2nd time they told me to wait it out at home.

    image
    Married August 9, 2008
    TTC Since September 2009

    1st   BFP | EDD 10/23/10 | Natural M/C 03/27/10 | 10w 0d
    2nd BFP 06/26/10 | EDD 02/25/11 | Natural  M/C 07/17/10 | 8w 1d
    3rd  BFP 12/17/10 | EDD 08/24/11 | Natural M/C 12/31/10 | 7w 4d
    4th  BFP 06/22/11 | EDD 02/25/12 | M/C D&C on 07/27/11 | 9w4d
    5th  BFP 09/17/11 | DD Paige Lily born 05/16/12
    6th  BFP 08/11/12 | EDD 04/11/13 | CP
    7th  BFP 09/29/13 | EDD 06/04/14 | Natural M/C 10/27/13 | 8w1d
    8th  BFP 12/16/13 | EDD 09/01/14

    DX: Pericentric Inversion of Chromosome 8 & compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations
    RX: Lovenox/Heparin & Folgard

    image

  • I hope she is feeling better soon. I think you did the right thing. 102.7 is pretty high, and you don't want to get to the point where she can't keep the meds down. DS also acts normal until his fever gets over 101. It is amazing how tough they can be. There are some nasty bugs going around now! His last cold/fever lasted about 4 days. I hope you stay healthy too!

    DS born Jan 2010

    TTC#2 since Nov 2010 with breaks for DH cancer tx (remission!)

    Tube with hydro removed Feb 2013

    BFP 11/11/13 IUI#2 clomid+trigger+prometrium

    Beta #1 14dpIUI=106; Beta #2 16dpIUI=287; Beta #3 20dpIUI=1158

    5w6d 1 hb 109 and 2nd smaller sac; 7w0d 1 hb 125 and confirmed vanishing twin

    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD had a febrile seizure at 15 months old.  I always medicate anything over 101.  She typically doesn't act like she feels bad until it's 103 or so, but I'm terrified of another seizure.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

    m/c 05/2009
    DD born 8/9/10
    TTC #2 since 8/2012
    CP 12/2012
    dx MFI 10/2013
    Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
    Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
    Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
    Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

  • I've heard multiple times from doctors (often relayed down from others) and have a reference booklet from our pediatrician that states fevers are not dangerous until they're much higher than that.  Fever suppressants do hinder the effectiveness of the immune response at kicking the illness too.  But with that said, I would still give meds around that temp.  I would start to get paranoid that if it was that high and she was acting fine that it could get even higher without me realizing it, and then we would be in dangerous territory.  DS had a 102something last week from an ear infection and I didn't give meds but I also knew that the cause was an ear infection and didn't fear it going much higher.  Without knowing what she's battling, I would give meds.
    November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

  • Gator_Bride07Gator_Bride07
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for all the advice. She had a rough night that included vomiting and another temp of 101. That time I chose not to medicate. She seemed to feel better after throwing up, and woke up with a temp of 99.1.
    ETA: Thank you, @+SouthernMomma+ ! It was her 4 year birthday photoshoot and her favorite things are princesses and tea parties. :)
    image
    photo image.jpg
    pettycrocker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards